ColJim
ColJim None
7/3/19 12:47 p.m.

I am in search of a rolling chassis as the foundation for a Modified class autocross car.  Ideas include a tube frame or maybe and vintage aluminum monocoque.  I am in the concept stage right now and looking for experienced advice. (At 62 years old, I have learned to shut up and listen so do not be shy.) I want to have some fun with this so, anyone who provides suggestions, advice (or free parts) that I use in the build will have an open invitation to autocross the car when I bring her out.  I am not kidding about this.  I lost track of all the folks who autocrossed the old Lotus Esprit and the 914. 

As with any project, there is a catch, my budget is $1,500.  I know it will end up being more than that, but It would be fun to enter "The Challenge" so it can not go much over $2,000.

What I already have:

• 2.0 liter 4 cylinder Porsche 914 motor
  • 4 five lug 944 Cookie Cutter wheels

Thank you for listening.  Now I gotta go out and clean me a spot in the grudge. 

Yawl be safe,

Col Jim

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
7/3/19 1:30 p.m.

Sounds like a fun build. If you're considering entering it in the challenge you should read all the rules. This one might keep you from using a custom tube frame.

Eligible Vehicles:
Any four-wheeled, production-based vehicle that was originally sold as a passenger vehicle is allowed. Vehicles must retain production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures or, if the vehicle uses a tubular frame, must retain the production exterior bodywork. If a tubular frame is used, then modification of exterior bodywork is allowed, provided the end result is substantially similar in general appearance to the original vehicle. If production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures are retained, then exterior bodywork modification is unlimited, provided no safety rules are violated. Vehicles that don’t fit these requirements or exceed budget may be run for exhibition only at the event chairman’s discretion.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/3/19 9:14 p.m.

I think you should try to find a chassis and build a challenge car that suits what you like. 

building a Mod car for autox is an expensive and very deep rabbithole probably costing in excess of 10-20x the budget you're talking about. 

good competitive tires for the Endeavour would probably consume most if not all of your budget. So my advice is to focus on the GRM challenge first and go take it to autox later to enjoy it. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qs5RW4Il9SKB7hCiuuzzmIaP3AahD27VFfUl6n4WjhPxTFSbBDN324z3gXJBPmPZ