1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
badwaytolive
badwaytolive New Reader
3/21/18 3:09 p.m.

Workday: 7, Days since delivery: 78

One of the scale pads was refusing to work last time, so we double checked today that it didn't magically fix itself.

Nope.

Nik wanted to make a quick attempt at fixing the busted pad, so we popped it on the work bench and opened it up.

We busted the connection to the indicator LED when we opened it up, but I think that's all the extra damage we did. The wires in this thing are amazingly thin. In fact, they didn't appear to be insulated, which obviously can't be the case, as they carry the signal to and from the four strain gauges at the corners. Maybe epoxy coated wires? 28ga? Anybody know what the heck?

The pad acted like it wanted to power up, as the LED would come on when you pushed the on switch, but as soon as you let go, it would just die out and not respond. We were hoping to see an obvious bad connection somewhere, but we didn't.

After spending 30 minutes or so on it, we decided to put it aside and move forward with weighing the car. We would just use the dead pad with the others, get a weight, then rotate the dead pad with a good one, then weigh again. You'll never get the same measurement twice for the corners, but it would be close enough for my use.

After swapping, we found the left front to weigh 740 lbs.

That means a total weight of 2840 lbs. No idea how much fuel is in the tank. Pretty much spot on for this year/make/model.

Obnoxiously heavy, I'd say. I'll make some efforts at some point to get the weight down, but I imagine it will happen pretty organically through the demo/build.

With that, I started taking the car apart. I'm going to try to get it driving with the new engine and transmission first. A short sentence for a mighty proposition. However, I find that having a simply stated goal like this helps drive projects in the right direction. 

"Why can't I drive the car right now?" Well, the engine and transmission aren't in the car. So I'll start with that, which means pulling the current motor, and getting rid of things that will be in the way or not used in the new configuration. I started by pulling off the hood.

Hood weight: 35 lbs.

Then I worked on pulling the front bumper. Messy work, with lots of old dirt, mud, and rusty fasteners. Half of them snapped when I tried to unscrew them.

These things are truly as hideous as their reputation represents.

The hood hinges are seriously beefy. And the dual torsion-bar spring setup to hold the hood up is the first I've come across. Although I haven't taken too many cars apart, to be fair. I think those will come off next time, and I don't think they'll be going back on.

More bumper removal steps. Part of the reason for posting these photos is to help myself as a reference in the future.

I don't think that mounting method (passenger side) is factory. I called my Dad, who repainted the car some time in the 80's, who confirmed that it came with some dodgy repair work most likely from a light collision in the front right. We'll find out how light it actually was, I suppose, as the disassembly/stripping continues.

The bumper came off.

Front bumper weight with shocks, mounts, and rubber end caps: 50 lbs (!)

With the bumper off, I just started moving backwards. The horns were next and I was amazed at how beefy the horn mounts were. Each steel mount was held on with two 13mm bolts. Good grief.

I have the weights somewhere, I'll put them here when I find them.

That was it for the car work for the day. Not much, but it felt damn good to get started.

I have this pile of take-off parts that will continue to grow. I think they probably belong in the trash, but I haven't been able to bin 'em just yet. Does anybody want any of this stuff? I'll update as the project continues. Please let me know if I'm making a bad choice getting rid of some of this stuff as well. I don't know value or rarity or usefulness of these items.

Nik worked on organizing the shop the whole time. We got the third divider shelf done as well. The shop is looking really good now. I asked Nik if he wanted help moving the Saab into place in case he wanted to start work on it, but he's pretty enthusiastic about the shop improvement right now, so he declined. He's ordered more tables to go somewhere I think. More cleaning!

damen

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
3/21/18 5:18 p.m.

You might consider a little rolling cart.  It's very handy to have a little place to keep tools, fasteners, cleaner, fittings, parts etc on while working.  

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
3/21/18 6:39 p.m.

Yes to jfryfry. A smallish, roll-around that is separate from your tools and that can serve as your task-specific work bench and task-related tools/support equip is a real time saver.

badwaytolive
badwaytolive New Reader
3/22/18 3:31 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

Good idea- I'll track one down.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
3/22/18 3:46 p.m.

Pretty car. Are you going to shave (or delete) the front and rear bumpers? Seems like you aren't interested in putting it back on.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/22/18 4:12 p.m.

Always liked them with the 240z-style bumpers, which don't weigh much...

and they are remaking them

badwaytolive
badwaytolive New Reader
3/22/18 4:12 p.m.

In reply to The0retical :

Thanks! The front and rear bumpers will not be going back on.

Due to perceived lack of demand, I imagine they will be scrapped in short order.

I haven't decided how race-car this build will be, so I haven't decided exactly what's going in their place, if anything. Smooth? Splitter + flat floor + diffuser? Thoughts and inspiration photos welcome!

damen

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/22/18 5:37 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

On jobsites, i spray painted my hand tools pink. Power tools had pink stripes. Nobody wants to borrow pink tools, let alone claim that they are theirs.

Ha ha, I did black stripes, skulls and crossbones (Hardly original, I admit), but noticed when I got pink stuff, and made it look like hooti, those tools never walked away. Great minds think alike.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
3/22/18 5:54 p.m.
Sparkydog said:

A smallish, roll-around that is separate from your tools and that can serve as your task-specific work bench and task-related tools/support equip is a real time saver.

I recently picked up one of these from HF and am planning to use it with a fabricated 'docking station' in my race trailer...

HF 5 Drawer cart

They've recently been on sale for $149, but I could only find a coupon for $169:  Cart coupon

I haven't put any miles on it yet, but seems solidly constructed, and of a useful configuration.

DejaVue
DejaVue New Reader
3/23/18 4:49 a.m.
badwaytolive said:

I haven't decided how race-car this build will be

One thing I'd consider is, "Would my mom be as excited to ride in/drive her favorite car if it's turned into a stiff-suspension, obnoxious race car?"  Probably not.

DejaVue
DejaVue New Reader
3/23/18 4:54 a.m.
badwaytolive said:

I imagine there are some folks here with shop dogs- we have one, too. Well, he’s not mine really; I’m moderately terrified of him. This is Zeus. Nik says he's harmless (to people at least), but I'll let you decide.

I don't know if Nik's shop is the safest place for the 280z.  I'd be concerned about Zeus eating the car. 

badwaytolive
badwaytolive New Reader
3/23/18 9:45 a.m.

In reply to DejaVue :

At the risk of being pedantic, I'm tempted to question the postulate of "race car = obnoxious", but I get what you're saying, so I won't.

Coming from a history of muscle cars with glass packs and being married to my dad, who worked for Thunder Engines and the Shadow Racing Can-Am team, she's more-likely-than-average to enjoy a race-y car. I had a horrifically stiff and loud track-prepped C5 Z06 that she loved.

Your point is well made/taken, though. I'll ask her!

damen

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
3/23/18 10:05 a.m.

I'm a big fan of the 240z front bumpers on the 280z's with the extended airdams.

I know this is a 240z but it's easily my favorite Z car build from a body work perspective.

badwaytolive
badwaytolive New Reader
3/23/18 10:50 a.m.

In reply to The0retical :

Oh wow, that second one is outstanding! Those the type of flares I would like- thanks a million for that!

It seems like that is also a pretty serious car: Mark Rolston's 240Z

damen

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
3/23/18 2:40 p.m.

In reply to badwaytolive :

Yep it is. I saw pictures of it years ago when Wekfest TX was just starting to become a thing and lusted after one just like it ever since. Unfortunately I have too many other things happening and with the way Z car prices are headed, it's unlikely to ever happen.

The car is a monster as outlined in Mark's blog. Anyway I'm E36 M3 posting in your build thread good luck and thanks for documenting it here.

badwaytolive
badwaytolive New Reader
3/23/18 2:54 p.m.

Workday: 8, Days since delivery: 84

More work on front-end disassembly.

Here's where we started:

First off was the airbox. Pretty simple stuff, but I liked this photo:

The airbox with all its bolts and hoses weighed 10.4 lbs.

I moved on to the hood hinges and torsion bar springs. 10.2 lbs for this stuff:

Next was all the lower spoilers. All the pieces together weighed 11.2 lbs.

On: 

Off:

Those were actually quite a pain. The fasteners are on the inside near the front of the tires and had rusted together. Then the captive square nut became uncaptive. Not being wrench-shaped made that difficult to hold. I could have made my life 100x easier by taking the wheels off, but I always felt like I allllllmost had it, so I struggled the whole way through on both sides in a tight area. Brilliant.

In the meantime, Nik assembled some (adjustable-height) tables that fit perfectly over another row of toolboxes. Came out really nice. You can see that finished work on the left here:

That was it for the day. Here's how it sits now:

Next time I'll just keep working my way back. Not much thinking involved, but that's okay. There will be some serious thinking involved later.

Additionally, we will still be spending some time organizing. The fab side of the shop is still quite dense. Another day.

damen

badwaytolive
badwaytolive New Reader
3/25/18 7:22 p.m.

Since it seems like there are a decent number of people on here from SE Texas, does anybody know a reputable engine machine shop in the Houston-ish area? I'm looking for over-bore, decking, valve job, possibly some head clearancing for monster cams, etc. Nothing exotic, but I haven't been happy with shops I've used in the past.

The work will be on an 04 - 06 Nissan V8 (VK56DE).

I greatly appreciate any leads!

damen

badwaytolive
badwaytolive New Reader
3/27/18 12:54 p.m.

Workday: 9, Days since delivery: 91

More progress towards engine removal. Just working my way backwards. But first, a shop organization update: shelves on the fab side:

Here's where I started with the car, a/c condenser and radiator still in:

The a/c hoses were not budging on either side, so I ended up cutting those to remove the condenser. I'm not planning on running a/c on the new build, but that's a pretty uncomfortable proposition here in Houston, so I'm still struggling with that idea.

The radiator had already been disconnected, fall-out from our ill-conceived, incomplete headgasket repair, so it was easy to get out as well.

A/c condenser weight: 6.3 lbs

Radiator weight: 21.4 lbs.

As I finished those removals up, the grim reaper himself approached.

Moving back, I pulled some odds and ends off, like this breather cannister thing:

Weight w/ bracket and bolts: 3.2 lbs.

And the airflow meter, resplendent in its vintage UPS cover:

AFM weight w/ hose: 5.75 lbs. 

The valve cover was loose, so I took it off to have a quick look. I'm not sure if this stuff is in good or bad shape:

I got a late start this workday, so not as much done.

I don't think I'll be able to take the engine out next time, but maybe the time after that?

Here's how I left it.

damen

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
3/27/18 1:06 p.m.

In the blue light of his first picture, Zeus' fur seems to match the Z-car, almost like the dog is the car's spirit animal. Or something like that. Anywho, great car, great dog!!

badwaytolive
badwaytolive New Reader
3/27/18 1:58 p.m.

In reply to ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) :

That dog scares the E36 M3 out of me. It's possible that this car will scare the E36 M3 out of me as well, so perhaps you're on to something there.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/27/18 2:08 p.m.

A friend worked at Vilas Motor Works in Bryan in a previous life and says they would recommend them still. Not exactly in town, but as close as the south side is. I can also put out feelers with the autocross guys. 

badwaytolive
badwaytolive New Reader
3/27/18 2:48 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Thanks for the lead, Seth. I would greatly appreciate tips from the auto-x chaps, as well.

damen

java230
java230 UltraDork
3/27/18 3:15 p.m.

That car looks like its in amazing shape! Cant wait to see what you do with it.

krautastic
krautastic New Reader
3/27/18 3:40 p.m.

Can't wait to see the Z come together. It's very pretty even as it sits now. I'm jealous of the shop, but can't for the life of me figure out what you could possibly have to fill all those drawers and standing cabinets. The thing I seem to run out of room the most is work table space. You should consider a nice roll up cart  that you can push right up to the car and collect all the nuts and bolts and parts as they come off. And then some nice secure work benches and some rollaway tables for when you have to do some oversized projects, or stuff that you know is going to be nasty (like fiberglass, or any kind of intense sanding or painting). I sure wish properties with shops like that were anywhere near where the lady and I work, but its just not in the cards, so I am relegated to a 2 car garage.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
3/27/18 4:07 p.m.

Yeah that thing is in great shape. 

Don't toss any parts till you check what they are going for on Ebay. You can recoup some decent money selling off the stuff you don't use. 

1 2 3 4 5 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MvrWrAUeK0L8W7Pm3YQ2W5H4xkeNOTdtvYzVMs8qqx0sN4EOMMPOo5tFjuKNSJQQ