1 2
dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/21/22 11:22 a.m.

In reply to dyintorace :

That blue is really striking and I will definitely keep that color on the car as it is the original color and it really stands out. The white one will definitely get a color change even if it is just a more sophisticated white like a Maserati shade, like the GT6, I recently finished last summer.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
6/23/22 1:59 p.m.

If the 164 drive train will reasonably fit into the chassis that would be a stunner.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
9/21/22 8:43 a.m.

So update on the Lancias..... as luck would have it, a nice driver Scorpion was on Craigslist in Tacoma, WA last month and my son lives there. He drove the car and it was as nice as the ad said it was and the price was very below market. So I bought it, but that meant I needed to get rid of one to make space. So I sold the blue car for a good price as a project, headed to Connecticut today and my red Scorpion should be here any day. The poor car has been in Georgia, Kansas, Maryland now Connecticut in the past year! Guy that bought it has two Zagato's so hopefully he will restore it.

I feel like I am on an episode of Wheeler Dealer Dream car, as I have basically traded up to get this running example for a few thousand dollars including the shipping.

No rust, nice interior, in excellent mechanical condition, just needs a good paint job and a new convertible top and some new rubber seals. This one will remain stock, the white modified Scorpion will be getting Montecarlo European bumpers and I am chasing the rest of the parts to do a quad headlight conversion. I got someone on FB to pull some Lancia Zagato headlight buckets from a parts car for me and found the grill and headlight surrounds on Ebay, just need the Montecarlo style hood band and I have everything to do the conversion.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
9/21/22 11:51 a.m.

How much for the car from Tacoma? I'm especially curious because I live just outside of Tacoma and have regrets for not performing my quarterly "Lancia" search in all the local markets. 

It really looks fantastic! 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
9/21/22 2:10 p.m.

You really don't want to know :-) He had it listed at $5,500, which was a bargain for one this solid that is mechanically 100% . Made it an easy decision to part with the blue one, which was not difficult given how bad most of the unrestored east coast cars tend to be.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
9/21/22 5:45 p.m.

Woah. I need no projects, but that's the kind of price that you don't hesitate to act on. Well bought! 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
9/30/22 3:20 p.m.

Car arrived today. We drove it off the truck, I used it up on truck to examine the underside while the driver moved the cars behind it. Floors look look good, overall very little rust for a 46 year old Lancia. Car started and I drove it to the house to give it a quick wash and put it in the shop. Next steps are to fix a few minor things and get a top on it so I can drive it a little to get familiar with it.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
9/30/22 3:40 p.m.

Did the open top have any bad consequences on the journey home?

dherr (Forum Supporter)
9/30/22 3:43 p.m.

The car had a giant plexiglass top bolted down against the weather seals, so it was dry despite the long trip from Washington state. I took it off to assess what I need for the roof, found one in Arizona and all the missing hardware I need to put it all back to stock. Fortunately, the side straps which as normally broken, were in the trunk and are in good shape.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/22 2:56 p.m.

I've wanted one of these cars ever since I saw this picture in a magazine when I was a little kid:

dherr (Forum Supporter)
10/4/22 2:16 p.m.

She is obviously pretty light to sit on the engine lid, as I would total the car if I sat on mine.

Did an inventory and pretty much just need to pull the front bumpers and front trunk carpeting and repair the battery box area. Rust in the box and down into the box for the front bumper strut mount, but it is intact, so should be able to weld in some patches and rust proof it. I may just end up installing Lancia Montecarlo style front and rear bumpers as that saves 100 pounds and looks 100% better. I am ordering a set for the white car, but am checking on just ordering two sets since the shipping for one large box is already exorbitant from Italy, so hoping that adding in two more, won't increase the weigh much and help to make shipping effectively 1/2 cost for two sets.  I'll have all the top hardware and the replacement top in a few days, as I found all the parts needed on Xweb. Then I'll drive the car for the fall and enjoy it before putting it away for the winter.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
11/11/22 8:20 a.m.

Starting on the quad headlight conversion on the white 77 Scorpion, ordered a nose band that covers the entire length of the front on a Montecarlo verse the shorter version on the Scorpion that allows for the pop up lights, will be here next week, Montecarlo bumpers are installed and are a definite improvement in weight and looks. I have the grills for the front bumper and turn signals, so will modify the harness on the quad headlights from the Zagato to use the Scorpion connector and weld in some brackets to make the quad headlight buckets bolt in. 

The stock headlight mounts need to be cut out on both sides to accommodate the quad headlights, so no going back, but this car already has been modded pretty heavily, so this one will be more of 037 tribute rather than a stock Scorpion. I'll probably paint it the same Maserati white that I painted my last GT6 and all the trim, noseband and bumpers will be black. Other than the seats, the dark blue interior is in decent and will look good with the original white exterior. I plan to pull the drivetrain and reseal everything and get the DCOE's rebuilt and properly set up. Should be a good looking car when it is done and fun to drive with the larger 2.0. 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
11/11/22 9:26 a.m.

This is the look I am going for except the bumpers are Montecarlo style and not rally style and I'll keep the noseband and bumpers in black on the white paint. This is a friend's car out in Washington State.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
11/21/22 2:40 p.m.

Noseband and grills arrived from England, so had to lay in place to see how it looks. I think I will like the white with the black noseband, end pieces and bumpers. The factory had a wide black stripe down the fenders and doors and with the rest of the trim in black, car will really be an improvement over the previous color scheme. Still planning on refreshing the engine, confirming the compression ratio and replacing the head with a 2.0 FI head with big valves and hot cams to better suit the DCOE's.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
5/3/23 8:20 a.m.

Been shuffling car projects around and have reduced my fleet down to a more manageable size. Decided I did not need two Scorpion projects and have sold off the red 76 to fund other projects such as the 77. Also decided that if I am going to restore one of these cars where the investment will exceed the value, might as well make it worth my time. So while I can build up a Lampreti  twin cam to make decent power, I would rather have something more exciting powering the car. The hot ticket for these is an Alfa Busso swap, so found a 164 3.0 12 valve and 5 speed. So around 200+ HP, high revving V6 sound track. This is a long term project, so I'll strip down the engine and rebuilt it and go from there. The 2.0 drivetrain from the 77 was sold with the 76 as the owner whats to build something more exciting than the stock engine can provide.

With the accessories stripped off, these engines are nice and compact and will fit nicely in the Lancia engine bay with a minimum of modifications, I believe the only change is to notch a frame rail for the transmission to clear.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
5/3/23 9:10 a.m.

There was a nice Zagato for sale in Columbus a few days ago. I had a bad experience with mine so it's not that attractive but it looked pretty nice.

In reply to dherr (Forum Supporter) :

i like your style

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vRCZE1vSDnfHmUITEisuu8AscGpkxNGo0bb9YXhYaKTt5WYs4kyIjIL5oGfmVsIk