1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 124
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/22/19 7:00 p.m.

Your adapter looks a lot like micky mouse. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/19 8:03 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Indeed.  Starter hole at lower left was an oops. Fortunately it was done early in the process, and the SBC pattern is symmetric, so we flipped the plate over and got it right on second try!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/22/19 8:52 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

If the SBC pattern is symmetric then shouldn't your two starter holes be symmetric?

AngryCorvair
11/23/19 7:29 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Sorry, my explanation was ambiguous. Lemme try again.

See how Mickey’s ears aren’t symmetric? The starter hole at lower left is too far from crank center. That’s why we had to flip the plate side-to-side and try again.

How did that happen, you might ask?

Looking at face of starter, the mounting bolts aren’t 180 degrees around the drive gear from each other. Let’s say that instead of being at 12 and 6 they’re actually at 12 and 5. Here’s a CMM layout of the starter:

When I made the 2-d drawing combining the SBC and Audi engine and trans bolt patterns, and clocking the Audi starter lower to clear the SBC oil pan rail, I had X and Y for all bolt holes relative to crank center, but I didn’t have the CMM so I didn’t call out center location or diameter of starter hole. So it got flip-flopped to the wrong side of the bolts and wound up where you see it.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/19 7:37 a.m.

No harm no foul. 

AngryCorvair
11/23/19 8:13 a.m.
Patrick said:

No harm no foul. 

I’ll call it a speed hole, just need to make a little cover plate for it.

AngryCorvair
12/21/19 4:04 p.m.

The combination of sunshine, out-of-season warmth (45*F), and stir-craziness got me out into the garage for a bit today. I’m using pieces of the C5 rear crash structure to tie the front of the C5 frame section into the Corvair unibody. Today was just a little bit of fitting and step-drilling holes for plug welds:

Tomorrow’s forecast says sunny and 48*F so I’ll try my (left) hand at welding up some scraps. If the results are acceptable, I’ll tack the above piece in place and make the next one pretty much the same way.

AngryCorvair
12/22/19 10:49 p.m.

No cutting, fitting, or welding today, spent the day in 2 junkyards grabbing stuff for MONZORA and Sonoma instead.

I met my buddy Steve at JY1 and grabbed a *long* B+ cable ($8) out of a theft recovery Hellcat Challenger (three one three, motherberkeleyers!) while he was pulling the diff and halfshafts. Then I walked the yard and found a 94 Fleetwood, so I grabbed the PCM ($25) so I’ve got a spare to play with.

tomorrow, going back to JY1 because they have some parts I can clean up a little and sell on eBay for about 4x. Won’t make a ton but it’ll pay for a couple things.

AngryCorvair
12/30/19 4:08 p.m.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/30/19 4:24 p.m.

Your weather looks NOICE!

Stampie
12/30/19 4:25 p.m.

Assuming Micky Mouse is upside down, his left ear is bigger than his right. How is the Micky Mouse plate going to be mounted in the car?

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UberDork
12/30/19 4:54 p.m.

I would never admit this in mixed company, but I have never been to a JY.  If you are ever looking for someone to tag along, let me know.

Stampie
12/30/19 5:08 p.m.

In reply to paranoid_android :

Oh man you don't know what you're missing. I'll go either to just walk around and waste time or sometimes spend hours cussing.  Either way it's great. 

AngryCorvair
12/30/19 5:53 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Temp wasn't bad, mid-40's or so.

In reply to Stampie :

Not sure yet if I'm going to use the plate as part of the mounting, although that is why we left it a rectangle. Doing a 2x3 crossmember that will have tabs to pick up the C4 engine mounts. The big Mickey Mouse ear is the oopsie.

In reply to paranoid_android :

Fox Auto Parts on Rawsonville Rd is a good local u-pull-it. $2 at the gate, free wheelbarrows. It's worth it sometimes to just walk the yard and let your mind wander.

AngryCorvair
12/30/19 8:24 p.m.

I had drawings for SBC and Audi bellhousings, so laying out the plate was pretty easy. Biggest challenge is that the Audi starter location crashes wth the Chevy block, so I had to do some math to figure out where to clock the starter to. It needed to go lower to clear the block, but how low it could go is limited by crashing into the oil pan sump. So I used the starter mounting ear dimensions to determine where the upper hole would be, then sined and cosined my way into the bottom hole location. Test fit shows the starter bolts up no problem, but it's a RCH too close to the flywheel, so it cranks slow and doesn't disengage properly. We've already come up with a fix, which I will detail in a future post. 

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
12/30/19 8:35 p.m.
Stampie said:

Oh man you don't know what you're missing. I'll go either to just walk around and waste time or sometimes spend hours cussing.  Either way it's great. 

When you just walk around cussing do other shoppers steer clear of you like you’re a bit loco?

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
12/30/19 8:37 p.m.

RCH the finest unit of measurement known to man!

Stampie
12/30/19 10:47 p.m.
wawazat said:
Stampie said:

When you just walk around cussing do other shoppers steer clear of you like you’re a bit loco?

I'm used to that look. That's everyday life for me. 

AngryCorvair
12/31/19 9:45 a.m.

Got something in the mail yesterday:

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
12/31/19 1:09 p.m.

Don't buy my shift knob. Do something like this: http://986forum.com/forums/574296-post1073.html

3D Printed:

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/31/19 5:46 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD :

Just a reminder to you guys, if any of you guys need anything 3D printed I can do anything from PLA to PA6-GF30 Nylon for material cost.

aselmike
aselmike New Reader
1/1/20 2:21 a.m.

Your adapter plate is awesome in its un-trimmed form. Must weigh a little bit right now.

I'm really excited to see what this looks like in the car.

AngryCorvair
4/12/20 10:52 p.m.

it's been a minute since I've done anything on MonZora. today the weather was nice and I had some garage time, so I started figuring out some power train packaging and shifter stuff:

fortunately for me, the JY left most of the Audi shift mechanism attached to the trans, and I believe I'll be able to chop and repurpose a few bits of it.

Backstory: Audi 01X trans uses a single shifter rod, but I'm adapting a two-cable setup from a Boxster for easier packaging around the SBC. Since we are working from home for another couple weeks at least, I'm going to try to accomplish something every day. I'm ready for the weather to stay consistently warm, that's for sure.

Good deal, man.  Way to get back on the horse.  That can be the hardest thing to do.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/13/20 9:56 a.m.

Great to see this project restarted. Just set a goal to accomplish one small thing, or solve a problem each day. A lesson we have all learned from the Nelsons!

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 124

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ifLovLq4JNsj11g3KYWQLNDIEXLNlfsw7duDvmTR3sg1jQQ977TpwEIG92ODbWhi