1 ... 51 52 53
GaryC83
GaryC83 New Reader
6/7/21 9:09 p.m.

https://www.amazon.com/ERCuSi-Silicon-Bronze-TIG-Welding/dp/B07BB53XFF/ref=asc_df_B07BB53XFF/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312096335436&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1977065342387139169&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016224&hvtargid=pla-680960508156&psc=1

We buy the stuff from McMaster or our welding supply house, but this is convenient, as its readily available and most people probably have access to Amazon. I use 1/16" rod on header flanges and .035" stainless filler rod on my headers. Theyre all lap sanded obviously for a seamless look, then final welded into the flanges and collectors. These have a set of dual merge Y collectors, as they also have a set of 180 degree headers that slip into place as well, so either set can be run without changing anything other than the primary header tubes. Collectors and such stay in place.  But anyway.... its a good way to go. 

Burn up some scrap first as its kind of a weird process. Feel free to ask away if you do go that route and have any questions and I'll do my best to get you sorted. 

In reply to GaryC83 :

outstanding info, thanks!

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/8/21 7:34 p.m.

I knew difference in expansion rates would probably make welding both sides a not so good plan. I would hone never thought of brazing the outside. Brilliant!

Good looking piece of art ya have bolted on that stroker, by the way...

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/21 9:20 p.m.

Jeebus, where does the time go? Here's another header tube to flange joint, before:

and after weld / flap disc:

GaryC83
GaryC83 New Reader
6/22/21 12:43 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Looks good. Another tip, though a touch late now, apologies, is I usually recess my tubing about an 1/16" down into the flange that has a healthy bevel on it to start. Gives a place for the weld to sit, and makes for a fast quick & easy operation to go at it with a burr bit and then cleanup with some sanding lollipops on a grinder. Makes for a pretty quick cleaning up of the welds in general. That and doing silicon bronze on the outside is the best advice I can give after having done a slew of headers and learning the hard way. 

I usually clean up my flanges on a big 20" disc sander after they've been fully welded, then take them to a surface plate with some 80 grit to final true them up. The easier cheaper way is a long board and 80 grit.  I use dykem, but you can even scribble with sharpie then block to reveal the lows.  

These aren't the best pics or headers I've done...but gives a good idea. 

Anyway, great work. Love the project!  Keep it up. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/22/21 7:25 a.m.

Cool, your headers should be done for the 2024 challenge, then maybe wiring by 2032

6/26/21 6:01 p.m.

I've finally got one header that actually lives up to the name 4-2-1:

welds are still cooling. When I can grab it without burning myself, I'm bolting it in place and leaving it there for a while.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) HalfDork
6/27/21 5:41 a.m.

I like the header but all I can see is the glove. Well played.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/27/21 3:45 p.m.
preach (fs) said:

I like the header but all I can see is the glove. Well played.

I would have missed the glove, if ya hadn't mentioned it!

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/27/21 3:49 p.m.

Good to see the headers coming along. 
On the bikes, it was always called a 4 - to  - 1... wouldn't a a 4 - 2 - 1 translate to a tri - y?laugh

(I don't remember which one your building )

6/27/21 4:47 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Yes, 4-2-1 is same as tri-Y

6/27/21 6:59 p.m.

symmetry is overrated

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/27/21 7:47 p.m.

Heat them cherry red woth oxy acetylene and a rosebud tip. Bend collector end oh so slightly. Boom. Symmetrical. 

Last whiteboard update was 11/29.  time to get this train back on track.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/4/21 5:45 p.m.

Put away tools. I am adding that to my list for tomorrow; the actual tomorrow, not "tomorrow"

1 ... 51 52 53
Our Preferred Partners
gqtyvFqZmoeDYm9NU0xJ1CieUHEG6amOayxJ1FDVxpqEahQNTUglmtaNzmNz1Zkh