1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 ... 124
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/21 9:30 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

[bro hug]
Thanks for the kind words. it took me a long time to get started. I mean, I was 52 when I picked up the MIG torch for the first time. I wish I had your skills at your age. If I did, I'd be killing it at my age! 
[/bro hug]

11/17/21 9:32 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

I'll get at it again tomorrow night.

once again life makes me a liar. Posting from crappy hotel room in Austintown OH, gonna be at the Lordstown plant for a couple days. Being a BAMF is a double-edged sword. On one hand, they know who to call. OTOH, they call.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
11/17/21 11:19 p.m.

It's good to be the king!

Japanspec
Japanspec Reader
11/18/21 6:49 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to maschinenbau :

[bro hug]
Thanks for the kind words. it took me a long time to get started. I mean, I was 52 when I picked up the MIG torch for the first time. I wish I had your skills at your age. If I did, I'd be killing it at my age! 
[/bro hug]

This is actually really inspiring. My welding knowledge is only with a cheap Harbor Freight flux core machine, and I'm looking to get into MIG welding now to tackle some larger projects and add to my skillset. Did you have any kind of professional training or take a class? What kind of resources do you recommend for learning MIG on your own?

Sorry, don't mean to derail your thread, just really impressed with your skills and looking to expand mine.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/18/21 7:30 a.m.

In reply to Japanspec :

You don't need to take a class to might weld.  You need practice.  There aren't that many variables.

You can only really change wire speed, hand speed, and heat range.    Just take some various thickness steels and stick them together while messing with the different variables and see what the results are.

Interestingly, the variables all impact one another to some degree and this is where "just doing it" will teach you.  For instance, if you aren't getting enough penetration, you can slow down your speed OR increase your heat.

Watch a few YouTube videos and ask questions on this forum if you run into trouble.

It really is a hot metal glue gun.

11/18/21 9:59 a.m.

In reply to Japanspec :

What Wvumtnbkr posted is exactly right.

Go to your metal supply store and buy cutoffs from their bargain bin. Clamp them up and start melting them together. Experiment with wire speed and look at the results. Experiment with amperage and look at the results. .035 wire takes more heat to melt than .030, so if you're still burning through your base metal after tuning your settings with .035 wire, maybe you should invest in the tips and rollers and a spool of .030 or even .025 (if there is such a thing. I'm no expert). This was perhaps my biggest revelation with the TIG, because I was burning through my headers with the heat (amperage) required to melt .065 filler. Stepped down to .045 and all of a sudden hey I'm a pretty good welder!

someone on here said "turn up the heat til you burn through, then back it off  a little."

11/20/21 2:01 p.m.

I was already headed to the shop to mount up Ody's new winters, so I figured "what's one more?"

wawazat
wawazat Dork
11/20/21 2:08 p.m.

That's hawt!

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/20/21 4:28 p.m.

Taking notes on how good the C5 mags look with "Hoosier" on the sidewall. 

11/20/21 6:08 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

I *knew* you'd have something to say. Your love for C5 Magnesiums has been noted. Again.

11/21/21 3:25 p.m.

Picked up a cheap-ish ($100) set of 3" spacers, because you never know what the future might hold:

currently working on coolant tubes, expect to have them done tonight.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/21/21 3:41 p.m.

So once the coolant tubes are done, what's next?  Is the To-Do list on page 53 still accurate?

11/21/21 6:13 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Yes it is. Probably jump to fuel lines, followed by wiring. Wiring can be (mostly) done in the heated basement. As you know, winter is fast approaching.

11/21/21 6:18 p.m.

My back is getting sore, not sure how much I've got left in me for tonight. So, pix:

gonna put the main tubes in place and work out one more Union, then call it quits for the night.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
11/21/21 6:39 p.m.

How are you planning to bleed the air out of the top of the radiator?  Solder a petcock on top of the highest point of header tank if possible, like an X1/9. Unless plastic header tankblush

11/21/21 7:44 p.m.

Ok, I'm done for the night. Just have a few tacked joints to finish weld.

also, damn I wish I had a lift! I've been sliding under the car on my back for every test fit, and I'm feeling it now. 

11/21/21 7:50 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

There's an overflow hose attachment on the upper passenger side of the radiator, it's the highest point on the radiator. Circled in yellow below. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
11/22/21 8:51 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Oh that is an easy one. Short piece of rubber hose and a NPT petcock with hose clamps.

11/26/21 2:09 p.m.

Spent the day (and a big-to-me chunk of cash) yesterday watching the Lions get their dicks knocked in the Astro-dirt, but at least we had good seats:

and the fam had a good time:

Huge dinner with in-laws and cousins made for a nice night. Got a slow start today, but had a bit of an epiphany and raised my bead quality significantly:

probably could have fed a little more filler in there but I'm really happy with this result. Got a few more cuts and welds to make, then the coolant tubes will be done and I can move on to fuel lines.

11/26/21 5:08 p.m.

Oops

looks like I've got to make another cut and another weld. I messed up my rotation marks and as Kimi would say, "is not good result."

GaryC83
GaryC83 New Reader
11/26/21 9:27 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Lol. Been there. 

What I do is 2 hash marks and then an inch or two away to the right make a series of three hash marks. Can't screw up the rotation that way. Super fast and easiest way I've found to never run into that again.

Progress is looking good. Looking forward to seeing the rest. 

11/27/21 7:34 a.m.

In reply to GaryC83 :

I usually do 1 and 2 vs 2 and 3 but same concept. This time I did a single mark, forgetting about the single mark I had done almost 180 out. :-(

I did the final cuts last night but I'm down to 100psi in the argon tank so took the rest of the night off. Family night of dinner, Monopoly, and 22 Jump Street was a good alternative. Back at it for a bit at some point today.

11/27/21 9:09 p.m.

Today I had a new experience: used a lawnmower in the AM and a snow blower in the PM. Yes, at the same address. Of course I had to disassemble the snow blower's carb and fuel shutoff valve to clean out E10 skank.

no car work tonight. Family time. AK1 goes back to school tomorrow.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/27/21 9:57 p.m.

Yeah today's weather was a kick in the junk.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
11/27/21 10:00 p.m.

BTW-I've got line bending and flaring tools should you need them.  I don't know what you're using for fuel lines but wanted to offer them up.  

1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 ... 124

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kGZzwmoBr1GQXilQ6b8PjI0bwdTJU9ymlDpU5nlMbE6HDlm8pr2h3FAIfWGYkpxh