1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 ... 124
QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/23 11:41 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Opti :

Rumor is he only did a couple of passes and not naming names but John Brown says that he didn't give it all the onions.

I can confirm this.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/23 12:01 a.m.

For posterity, MonZora 2023 placed as follows:

autocross 53.2 vs $2k FTD 50.2

drag 15.6 @ 92 vs $2k FTD 11.8

dynamic score 86.8

concours 19.25

Total score 106.06

Finishing position 11 of 35 under $2k

Editors' Choice

2nd Place Challengers Choice

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
5/30/23 12:36 a.m.

Yeah man, that's not a bad showing at all for a virgin car that didn't drive at all until you were about to load it onto the trailer. Damn fine showing, even. A little tuning and some polish and a little more pedal on the strip and you've got a real contender. 

TurboFource
TurboFource HalfDork
5/30/23 6:32 a.m.

A little more sorting and that thing will be flying! Nice job!

5/30/23 8:08 a.m.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/30/23 8:47 a.m.

I'm going to steal that "$2000 easy" line.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/30/23 8:57 a.m.

Yeah, that question is common. While the car may be built for under 2K, what always makes me laugh is all the tools and supporting "stuff" that you end up acquiring along the way when building these cars. In my case, if I added up the MillerMatic, painting equipment, hand tools, home made rotisserie, etc..... the investment becomes much more substantial.  I think what makes this so much fun, is it as much of a brain challenge as you solve problems and figure out how and refigure out better solutions along the way. It is how we fixed our cars way back in the day, when we went to the junk yard to find parts as we did not have any money, but had time and plenty of ideas of how to make our cars better.

Really been fun to watch you succeed in getting the car to the challenge and congratulations again for a great placement!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/23 9:11 a.m.

You get to keep the tools for the next build.  If you have the mental capacity to do another one.

Financially speaking, you HAVE to have a "next build", to amortize the tool expenses...

Go_Gators (Forum Supporter)
Go_Gators (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/30/23 9:47 a.m.

Congrats and nice to meet ya!  Thats a solid finish for any scratch build's first time out! 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
5/30/23 10:02 a.m.

I always get a kick out of people who can't fathom building something for $2K out of junk. You have to think it out. You have to scavenge. You have to do the junkyard bit. And you have to learn to barter down the price on something that's already the cheapest one on Marketplace, but you offer lower anyway, because every dollar counts. Friends can't believe how little I've paid for some of the stuff on my car. It's nice to see your effort paid off. Congratulations from one who understands the time and effort it took.

madmrak351
madmrak351 Reader
5/30/23 11:37 a.m.

Great to meet you at the challenge. You absolutely deserve the editors choice award. Very good looking build. I am glad you did so well and finished still running. Very impressive debut for the car.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/30/23 4:41 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Editors' Choice

2nd Place Challengers Choice

Congrats Patrick!

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
5/31/23 7:59 a.m.

So now that you've had time to decompress, what is your plan for this beast? 

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/31/23 10:47 a.m.

For posterity, MonZora 2023 placed as follows:

autocross 53.2 vs $2k FTD 50.2

drag 15.6 @ 92 vs $2k FTD 11.8

Both of these numbers have potential to come down, radically in the case of the dragstrip number.  I see you sorting the car a bit and coming back next year as a real contender for the #1 spot!

One thing I wanted to mention, this is a car that I would love to own and actually drive around someplace other than a parking lot or the dragstrip.  I can't say that about a lot of the Challenge cars.  When you're done with the Challenge competitions with it, some paint and a minimalist interior would have this thing absolutely rocking as a killer street car, track day driver, whatever.  Love the look, the wheels under it, everything.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/31/23 11:23 a.m.

In reply to Kendall Frederick :

That is one thing I'm jealous of. The Free Europa will never be a reasonably enjoyable street car. They were barely usable in stock form. I could see Monzora confidently driving an hour to a cars and coffee and behaving like any other muscle car or vette.  

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
5/31/23 11:27 a.m.

im most impressed with your ability to resist the urge to make the exhaust obnoxiously loud.

5/31/23 12:14 p.m.
surfshibby07 said:

im most impressed with your ability to resist the urge to make the exhaust obnoxiously loud.

i live in a subdivision and i respect my neighbors' right to not have their ears assaulted. i also do not like obnoxiously loud cars. i'd like to apply some rotary mufflers at some point. you know, just to quiet it down a little more. ;-)

5/31/23 12:19 p.m.
Kendall Frederick said:

One thing I wanted to mention, this is a car that I would love to own and actually drive around someplace other than a parking lot or the dragstrip...  some paint and a minimalist interior would have this thing absolutely rocking as a killer street car, track day driver, whatever.  Love the look, the wheels under it, everything.

it certainly has that potential. when i started the project i said "Eff it, it's a race car, worst case i'm throwing away $2000." so i scrapped the windshield wipers, hood hinges and springs, hood latch, and a couple other things. then along the way i realized it's gonna have to sit outside sometimes, so i can't gut doors and windows, and i'd like to take it to cars and coffee once in a while, so i had to refocus on making it a raceable street car.

stay tuned!

5/31/23 12:21 p.m.
Scotty Con Queso said:

So now that you've had time to decompress, what is your plan for this beast? 

loosely formulated plan so far, in no particular order:

• thermal management
  • turn-key reliability
  • tuning
  • driving the tires off it
  • cosmetics inside and out
  • an organized approach to the concours -- i definitely left some points on the table there
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/23 12:48 p.m.

Drag tires and extra axles

5/31/23 12:53 p.m.

corner weights for stock '66 corsa (thanks pimpm3!):

corner weights for MonZora:

ExcessKuma
ExcessKuma Reader
5/31/23 4:48 p.m.

corner weights for stock '66 corsa (thanks pimpm3!):

corner weights for MonZora:

Hey look at that, me and Micheal weren't that far off (we said stock +/- 200 lbs)

6/2/23 10:37 p.m.

Buddy stopped by tonight. I started car and it ran fine, but after hot restart it wouldn't idle without some throttle. So I shut off, unplugged MAF, restarted. CEL was lit but she idled down nice and smooth. Sure wish I had thought of that in Gainesville. LT1 has both MAF and MAP, and PCM has the ability to run on either one if the other is faulted. So I'm gonna code out the MAF DTCs and run it on MAP.

6/2/23 10:43 p.m.
Patrick said:

Drag tires and extra axles

If the E36 M3 (the car, not the poop) axles are short enough to package a PCD adapter between inner CV and outlet flanges, that saves me about $80. Depending on the rest of the budget, it might be worth it to make new engine mounts to shift powertrain 3/4" to the right, to make axles equal length. Might require header surgery though, and I don't have time for that.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
6/2/23 11:05 p.m.

Someday MonZora has to go to the CORSA national convention.

1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 ... 124

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
13GRUQgqsNCk8J02jrPgQEmDe1cX7CFEC70oBqun1HAMlWOUJuWXxVjCkZO93YKV