1 2
elhartspeedshop
elhartspeedshop New Reader
2/8/21 10:31 a.m.

Here is satisfying albeit slightly blurry video:

https://imgur.com/jZ7ImIK

and the results:

I tried a few different things to get a little more dark blue off with varying levels of success.  Graffiti remover took too much of the original paint off, but worked really well on the dark blue.  Various buffing compounds and wet sanding were the best bet for removing the dark blue and polishing the light blue.  I worked on it for awhile then my arm got tired, plus wet sanding is more fun in the summer and it was becoming late fall with sub 50 deg temps.  

The pressure washing exposed the rust/fiberglass mashup in the bottom of the rear quarters.  So that became the next target.  

Pictures after I peeled off the fiberglass:

elhartspeedshop
2/8/21 10:43 a.m.
onemanarmy said:

super sweet patina'd FSJ.

And you're gonna coat the underside (and inside the frame) of that 4runner with fluid film every 6 months right?  Those things are great looking and tough trucks but rust like crazy, body and frame.

Thanks! I love patina on an old truck.  Its much more charming than shiny paint.  

I think the cat is out of the bag on the 4 runner rust.  I did what I can with some oil spray and a little por-15 but its probably a loosing battle.  Thankfully its not too visual.  Yea I have had a ton of fun with it in the dunes and trails.  

slantsix
slantsix Reader
2/8/21 11:33 a.m.

Is that up near sleeping bear dunes NLS?

Greg

elhartspeedshop
2/8/21 12:01 p.m.
slantsix said:

Is that up near sleeping bear dunes NLS?

Greg

Kinda!  Somewhere in the Huron-Manistee National Forest and Silver Lake. 

IndyZd
IndyZd
2/9/21 8:08 a.m.

Love the patina look after the pressure wash/polishing.

Repair the rust to save it and cruise.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
2/9/21 8:38 a.m.

I recognize those sand dunes.   I've been going for years!

slantsix
slantsix Reader
2/9/21 12:17 p.m.

In reply to elhartspeedshop :

Yes on the same side of the mitten I see.. I will have to check it out sometime.  Closest I have been on that side was Martin (US 131) Dragstrip back in 2007.  I need to get up there again.  Have a blast with the truck!

Greg

elhartspeedshop
2/11/21 8:05 a.m.
wawazat said:

I recognize those sand dunes.   I've been going for years!

I am always amazed it exists, and continues to not get shut down.  Pretty fun spot! 

slantsix said:

In reply to elhartspeedshop :

Yes on the same side of the mitten I see.. I will have to check it out sometime.  Closest I have been on that side was Martin (US 131) Dragstrip back in 2007.  I need to get up there again.  Have a blast with the truck!

Greg

West coast best coast!  Lots of good things along the lakeshore.  

Thanks, its been one of my best smiles/miles cars.  A buddy said it looks and feels like your favorite pair of old blue jeans and I think that was pretty spot on.      

wawazat
wawazat Dork
2/11/21 9:28 a.m.

2015 in my ill-fated diesel GC

2020 camping at Silver Lake State Park.  We walked in to the dunes that year.  

I started going in '72 or '73 with my family and my favorite aunt and uncle.  Went for many years.  Started going again in late '80s with my buddies and our quads.  Started yet again in 2014 with my wife and two boys.  It's a lot of fun.  

elhartspeedshop
2/11/21 10:31 a.m.
wawazat said:

2015 in my ill-fated diesel GC

2020 camping at Silver Lake State Park.  We walked in to the dunes that year.  

I started going in '72 or '73 with my family and my favorite aunt and uncle.  Went for many years.  Started going again in late '80s with my buddies and our quads.  Started yet again in 2014 with my wife and two boys.  It's a lot of fun.  

My dad was there in the 70's with his buggy!  We try to go once a year for a picnic.  Hopefully the waggy makes it there this summer, it would look more on brand next to my Dad's K5.  Nice airstream! 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
2/11/21 11:16 a.m.

Thanks!   We plan on a few trips to,the dunes this summer.  Maybe drive the Yukon in this time too.

elhartspeedshop
2/17/21 11:33 a.m.

Once I had the cutting wheel out I figured I better keep going.  Beyond the rear quarter panels that had obvious rust, I found a pretty good amount in the floor and rear tailgate.  I think all of it could be blamed on bad seals and sitting outside its whole life.  The carpet in the rear tailgate definitely held moisture in there as well.  The passenger floor had a pretty good Flintstones hole, and the driver side had a cowboy fix for the gas pedal. 

Still would be considered 'rust free' for MI probably.... 

The before:

Goes several layers deep :/

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
2/18/21 1:53 p.m.

keep up the good fight!

one more can be saved

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/19/21 7:00 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:
jimbbski said:

A friend of mine picked up one of these late last year. It came out of Arizona so mostly rust free.

It was supposed to have a AMC 401 in it but every marking on the engine says it's a 360.

My guess is that the 401 was pulled for use in another application.

That's about how it goes. AMC blocks typically have the displacement indicated right in the casting. A 401 will have 401 in raised letters near the right side motor mount. A 360 will say 360, unless it's a very late block that says 5.9 for some mysterious reason.

It's on both sides.

elhartspeedshop
2/25/21 10:16 a.m.

Peeling back the layers.  I also filled the holes in the roof from an old roof rack. 

I wasn't too worried about patching the floors, but the tailgate was going to be a trick.  The rust had eaten a few layers, which includes the mounting brackets that get sandwiched in the sheet metal. 

I guess I did want fabrication practice... 

slantsix
slantsix Reader
2/25/21 11:22 a.m.

Lookin Good!

Greg

elhartspeedshop
3/2/21 8:48 a.m.

After an ambitious but rubbish attempt to form a large exterior patch panel I found and purchased some pretty affordable aftermarket ones. 

The analog CAD system worked great for making floor panels.  

I got to play with my little bead roller, which is always neat.  Need more practice.  

Sealed up the floors:

Working on the rear tailgate hinges was next.  I had to rebuild both of the hinge parts, which meant lots of practice on my little 3-in-1 bender machine. 

Then I made a new exterior skin and access panels.  Only made a couple scrap parts so I was pretty happy.  

slantsix
slantsix Reader
3/3/21 9:12 a.m.

Nice Progress!

Greg

elhartspeedshop
3/10/21 1:39 p.m.

Once the structural fabrication was done and coated in POR-15 or truck bedliner I turned to the shiny stuff. 

Must be I never took pictures of the bondo sanding bondo sanding bondo sanding process, but it happened over several more days that I expected...

My local paint store does a killer job of matching old paint so I brought them the biggest piece I cut off that had good paint.  It wasnt big enough to pull a good baseline from, so with some muscle I brought in the tailgate.  Those things are not light. 

Not the best paint booth, but with some good cleaning and fans I was happy with how the paint went. The 2002 was moved prior to paint.  

Dog approved still:

With some luck and late nights I had it wetsanded and reassembled just in time to go christmas tree hunting.  

Made for a great christmas card!  

Then the typical dumping of salt on Michigan roads came out and the jeep got put away. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3cUYG6SldYAsPvLnT45BmVLeRY1a0v0II1hJ9IN710cQlpQwudrxcN2ACMyuBFor