1 2 3
LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
5/16/17 10:35 a.m.

Kill me now! Wow.. (drool emoji goes here)

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
5/16/17 10:53 a.m.

So here's a question for those ECU aficionados.. my little M10 has the majority of the plugs and sensors for a fuel injection aftermarket system (MegaSquirt). I have an O2 sensor, fuel injectors, water, oil temp and oil pressure. I still can't find a crank position sensor, which I think I'll need for my stand alone system.

So, what version will I need of MegaSquirt? MS1? I still have a distributor, but I am thinking I should go with a simple ignition box of some sort.

Tips? Pointers? Advice?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/16/17 11:21 a.m.

I don't have answers but I'm sure glad you're asking questions I've been thinking about.

2GRX7
2GRX7 New Reader
5/16/17 8:42 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Thanks everyone! Build is going on hiatus at the moment as I just came back from Lime Rock for a PWC test and am jumping on a plane for Canada and will be gone for the next two weeks. Once I get back, I'll get back on it!

Ah! Going to CTMP, are you? Me too! I'm working the event- working all the events, LOL!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/16/17 8:46 p.m.

Did you check on the flywheel for the crank position sensor? I know some BMWs have it on the crank pulley, but I am also pretty sure I have seem them on the flywheel as well.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
5/16/17 10:07 p.m.

Dude! It looks like you're off to a great start! Did the motor with ITB's come with the car?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
5/17/17 7:23 a.m.

Great buy, no berkeleying incredible buy.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/17/17 8:41 a.m.

If you keep the distributor, an MS1 will work fine with no crank position sensor; it fires in batches and doesn't care which cylinder is where, only about RPM.

When my 2002 was running, it was on am MS1 with the stock distributor and Crane XR3000 ignition box. I had planned to add a 36-1 wheel and use a Ford EDIS ignition, but didn't get to it before tearing everything apart. There may well be better ignition options by this time, and good reasons to use an MS2.

I'm not sure the M10 lived long enough to be used in any application with a crank position sensor. I believe E30s were the last. Seems like they'd have had one, but my google-fu is undercaffeinated... Also not sure whether that wheel pattern got support in the MS-1. The EDIS was apparently pretty well pinned down, though by this time, also old and less junkyard-friendly.

DukeOfUndersteer
7/4/17 9:31 a.m.

So, been a month. Here is an update:

The M10 was repoed! Haha. Well, there was a misunderstand for the powerplant. The General Manager informed me that the M10 is worth $10k and wasn't included, so I said that's fine (saves me the trouble of wiring up an a harness and ECU).

So here is my next plan... I am looking for a early 90's 318 M42 - mid 90's 318 M44. I figure, people who get E30s with these dump em pretty quick for a swap, like a S52. I don't need mega power or a 6 cylinder and i think i'd get easy reliability and decent performance out of a stock 4 cylinder and it would be cheap!

So, who wants to help find me one?

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
7/4/17 10:23 a.m.

Yay delusional folks . Seeing cheap e36 318i cars all the time on cl.!pre 96 gets you an m42. I like those a little better than the m44s.

Stampie
7/4/17 10:27 a.m.

In reply to DukeOfUndersteer:

I'm might be looking for one in the next month or so. If I find a spare I'll let you know.

DukeOfUndersteer
7/4/17 11:09 a.m.

In reply to Stampie:

Thanks buddy. I am hopefully going to look at an E36 318 this morning for $1000, runs drives. Just gut it for it's mechanicals. Ill keep everyone posted.

Stampie
7/4/17 7:26 p.m.

In reply to DukeOfUndersteer:

Not sure how far Savannah is from you or what repairs it needs but $600 ...

1994 BMW 318i - $600 (Savannah Ga)

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/16/17 6:46 a.m.

Besides putting out surprisingly little power (and being hard to tune for more), the M42 is heavier than you might expect. And you may get excluded from Vintage events for running a "modern" engine.

If you can find another M10 laying around, it could still be the way to go. Also consider the M20.

DukeOfUndersteer
9/27/17 12:43 p.m.

So... just a quick update...

Co-worker here at the BMW dealership, who drives a late model E30, has found another cleaner donor E30 for himself to swap all his guts into. He is getting a good deal at $1000 for a running, driving, M42 short bumper coupe. He has no use for the M42 and knows ive been looking for one, so he is going to sell me the engine, gearbox, wiring harness and ECU for $200. 

In the meantime, Ive been cleaning and straightening out things on the inside and will hopefully have an engine to put in it. I am in search for a brake booster and master. Don't know if the E30 one will fit (I was told I can have it with the engine stuff)...

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
9/27/17 12:53 p.m.

nice score!

DukeOfUndersteer
10/1/17 6:22 p.m.

As this is my last weekend before I travel for the next two weeks, I thought I should try and make any dent into the car. Pulled the cell and bladder, expecting all the foam to be powder. Opened the top of the bladder, found the foam to be in great shape and nothing floating around in the bladder at all! Decided I'm gonna take the cell casing and either repaint it red or wrap it in gold..

DukeOfUndersteer
10/11/17 8:17 a.m.

Post from the airport:

Cell is at home, wrapped in gold :)

Engine and gearbox is at the dealership. The E30 M3 S14 ITB manifold I found in my box o' spares does not fit, which bums me out. So, just need mounts and exhaust manifold to make it ready to throw in the car! The logistics of getting it to my apartment and in the car is probably going to be the biggest headache of the whole build. I am going to try to get the car towed back up to the dealership and throw it in the car on a weekend, so that way I don't have to worry about a cherry picker and nosey neighbors.

Camera on my phone currently is inop because of lack of memory. Stupid iPhone.. I'll be sure to take pics once I either have more room or a new phone.

Off to Laguna!

Justjim75
Justjim75 New Reader
10/11/17 8:36 a.m.

If you still need MS help, the guy the Swedes call for Volvo help is 3 miles from me, I can supply email address

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
10/11/17 10:12 a.m.

Off to Laguna! ......for the california 8hrs?   what team are you associated with?

Justjim75
Justjim75 New Reader
10/11/17 12:41 p.m.

Megasquirt Guru:

Kenny Howard

Linuxman51@gmail.com

Tell him Justjim sent you.  Seriously, his daily is a Volvo 940 wagon with a big turbo L33 LS and MS, his drag car is a 9 second 2.3 Volvo 4 cyl with a turbo from a Volvo big rig and 150 shot.  Has to run a TH400 trans behind it.  Also MS.  People bring him cars from all over to have him do the Megasquirt 

DukeOfUndersteer
10/17/17 7:37 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Thanks buddy. I think I'm gonna leave the engine management stock. 

DukeOfUndersteer
11/16/20 12:21 p.m.

Resurrection!!!

Been 3 years, but everyone loves a good love story. I had sold my 2002 to a Toyota Factory Engineer who had a 2002 collection himself. Fast forward 3 years, he and I kept in touch about how it was progressing. He messaged me one day saying he had a sweet opportunity to buy an old Celica Alltrac and needed to clear out some space. My girlfriend, who saw pictures and heard the story, gave me the ultimate birthday/annversary gift; she bought the car back for me!!

DukeOfUndersteer
11/16/20 12:28 p.m.

So I've been slowly getting back up to speed where I had left off. 

I restarted my wiring as the car did not have a body harness. I started picking the unuasble wires off, put some sheathing and heat shrunk. 

Yesterday was the only nice day to get out and tackle the interior paint. The car had sat at the dealership for about a decade, for the most part unprotected. Since then, it sat in a shop. I cleaned it out, prepped it and the girlfriend and I painted all day yesterday..

Last task was to pull the vinyl stripes off. It looks a million times better in my opinion.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/16/20 1:03 p.m.

Congrats on getting it back! Looking good.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p2jqr8XGbajpPFqo9E2FnYiPXmCp72f06pr62wG76kOvbqPVqJWx1RkcWTy5OjWR