1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 88
The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
7/9/18 3:06 p.m.
Ransom said:

In reply to The0retical :

I swear a tried a quick Google before asking, but could you point me to a definition of SWAS?

Sorry styIngle2003 got it right: Steering Wheel Angle Sensor. On the Mazdaspeed3, in addition to the other safety stuff the angle sensor provides, there's some ECU tricks employed to reduce power output in first and second gear to counter severe torque steer issues. It's possible to minimize it's effects by remapping some ECU parameters but there apparently isn't a good way to completely disable the power reduction with the stock ECU.

edited for clarity.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
7/10/18 7:38 a.m.
USERNAMETAKEN said:

Well, color me screwed.  I just got word that Ford Racing has canceled production of the 2.0 control pack.  After 4 months on "back-order" they tell me that.  Super frustrating.

Alright, folks.  I need some emotional, technical, and spiritual support here.  What are my options for salvaging this mess?

Find a spot on the intake manifold for normal fuel injectors and leave the DI ones in place. Then get a megasquirt...

USERNAMETAKEN
USERNAMETAKEN GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/10/18 9:29 a.m.

Unless I can get a tuner to program me the equivalent of the control pack I don't see the point of using the 2.0 EB anymore.  It won't have the capability of the factory engine anymore.

At that point I'll probably cut bait and see if I can return or sell off some of this stuff.  Then I'll probably go back to my original idea of a 1.8 Miata swap.  I don't know.  I'm pretty bummed out right now, and I'm having a hard time seeing the positive way forward.

Or maybe Ford Racing will come back and say "Just Kidding!"

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/10/18 9:45 a.m.

In reply to USERNAMETAKEN :

Fingers crossed for the latter, or for maybe an unforeseen update to the way they're selling control packs or something. It seems a little weird that they'd just stop... Perhaps they've got a revised pack that's capable of running several engines in the family under one part number or something like that? Here's hoping...

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/10/18 9:49 a.m.
RossD said:
USERNAMETAKEN said:

Well, color me screwed.  I just got word that Ford Racing has canceled production of the 2.0 control pack.  After 4 months on "back-order" they tell me that.  Super frustrating.

Alright, folks.  I need some emotional, technical, and spiritual support here.  What are my options for salvaging this mess?

Find a spot on the intake manifold for normal fuel injectors and leave the DI ones in place. Then get a megasquirt...

Big Power ST guys that run out of injector run these auxiliary fuel rails

USERNAMETAKEN
7/10/18 9:52 a.m.

In reply to Ransom :

Yeah, maybe they have something like that in mind.

Maybe I could switch to a 2.3 if they're still supporting it.  Though I'll surely take a bath on what I've bought so far...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/18 9:54 a.m.

send a PM to Alfadriver.  he might "know a guy who knows a guy" *

* i have no idea whether or not he does in fact know a guy who knows a guy.  but he's made it clear he works in engine calibration for the blue oval.

USERNAMETAKEN
7/10/18 3:25 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

send a PM to Alfadriver.  he might "know a guy who knows a guy" *

* i have no idea whether or not he does in fact know a guy who knows a guy.  but he's made it clear he works in engine calibration for the blue oval.

Sent an email.  We'll see if he gets a chance to respond and has anything helpful to contribute.

No word back from Ford Performance today.  I'll call again tomorrow if I don't hear anything by noon.

USERNAMETAKEN
7/11/18 8:24 a.m.

There's a Cobb super-deluxe Ford-certified tuner a couple miles from me.  I'm thinking I'll swing by and have a chat with them next week.  See what kind of magic they could whip up.

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
7/11/18 9:23 a.m.

Well that stinks.

Hopefully they’ll still come through with your order. I’ll take back any parts you bought that you still have the packaging for.

USERNAMETAKEN
7/11/18 9:29 a.m.
Saron81 said:

Well that stinks.

Hopefully they’ll still come through with your order. I’ll take back any parts you bought that you still have the packaging for.

Thanks.  I appreciate that.  I know I have some packaging.  Not all of it.  I'll be in touch one way or another.

USERNAMETAKEN
7/11/18 9:43 a.m.

Talked to a different guy at Ford Performance.  He said evidently "no one" uses the 2.0 kit.  Everyone skips it and goes straight to the 2.3 or the 5.0.  So I guess they used up the first run and canceled the kit.

I guess it's the engine harness that is the custom part that they don't want to build again.  If they send me the connectors and a wiring diagram, I'd build my own.

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
7/11/18 9:53 a.m.

I can help with that if that’s the route you go. 

USERNAMETAKEN
7/11/18 1:23 p.m.

Heard back from Ford Performance.  Evidently I'm not the only one calling in and freaking out about orphan projects.  I guess they're figuring out if there's a different harness they can send me.  Fingers-crossed...

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
7/11/18 1:27 p.m.

Honestly, I’d be shocked if the 2.3 harness is much different. They share a lot of components.

p.s. Your backordered bolts shipped today. ETA to you is Friday. 

USERNAMETAKEN
7/11/18 2:18 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

Yeah, I wonder if the 2.3 harness will work.  I'm pretty sure the N/S orientation kit is just a bunch of 2.3 parts.

Strangely, the MAP sensor from the 2.0 manifold doesn't match up with the 2.3 manifold.  Slightly different bolt pattern.  Not sure what's up there.

Thanks for the update on the bolts.

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket New Reader
7/13/18 10:53 a.m.

I hope you find a workable solution. This project was a follow for me as soon as I ran across it. Very fun. I love the little ecoboost motors, so it's been fun following along.

shadowshaggy
shadowshaggy New Reader
7/13/18 1:00 p.m.

Yeah not thinking the 2.0/2.3 are tragically different aside from a handful of connectors maybe.

USERNAMETAKEN
7/13/18 2:40 p.m.
shadowshaggy said:

Yeah not thinking the 2.0/2.3 are tragically different aside from a handful of connectors maybe.

A viable and not too horribly expensive option would be to just switch to the 2.3.  The layout is slightly different, but it looks like it would fit similarly to the 2.0.

What I don't like is that the 2.3 is much more uncommon and much more expensive.  I can buy a 2.0 in Denver for a grand any day of the week.  I'd have to get a 2.3 shipped in, and they can easily be $2500-3000.  And every one of them is out of some poor Mustang with a massive front end hit!

Nothing from Ford the last few days...

USERNAMETAKEN
7/18/18 1:10 p.m.

Progress.  Ford Performance says they're going to build custom wiring harnesses for the people with back-ordered control packs.  Yay!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/19/18 6:31 a.m.

Whew!

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/19/18 6:43 a.m.
USERNAMETAKEN said:

Progress.  Ford Performance says they're going to build custom wiring harnesses for the people with back-ordered control packs.  Yay!

I'm pretty impressed with Ford Performance for making the effort to come through for a small number of enthusiasts. I would have thought they would just tell everyone to buy a 2.3 harness or suck it.

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
7/19/18 6:55 a.m.

Excellent.

USERNAMETAKEN
7/19/18 9:21 a.m.

I've been happy so far with how they've handled it.  I understand the ups and downs of product marketing, and if the market isn't there for the 2.0 then I get why they'd cancel.  But that doesn't mean I want my swap to be orphaned!

Yesterday afternoon, I did find there's a big rib on the top of the transmission that conflicts with a frame tube.  Means the back of the trans is sitting about an inch low.  Maybe I'll buzz the rib off with the disc sander.  That might give me the room I need.

Another way to go - there's a TKO600 trans for sale on CL locally.  It's used and the guy wants $2200 for it.  Too much for a used unit, in my mind.  But it would be way more compact.  And the shifter would be much easier to work with.  And it has the mech speedo pick up.  Thinking about it...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/19/18 9:40 a.m.

What about the t5z from summit?

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 88

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
giPN7Yjyvi9GZIqH9YMaqVhVarEO2qsFgqAIG5OVbRrUv4S6VLqPVX9Wj7ASWFb7