1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 88
MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
5/25/20 8:19 p.m.

Smaller gloves for her are a definite with  her using spinny things.

This all makes sense. 

I like the hoop-style ear plugs. 

I do have a face shield I use, but it's pretty beat up and probably won't adjust down to her size.  I wonder if I can actually buy a face shield right now?

Big "lab goggles" would probably be a reasonable substitute.

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell New Reader
5/27/20 11:18 a.m.

You mentioned (on page 33) that you still need to drill out the broken bolts in your rear uprights.  You know, they are symmetrical, so if you make your right upright the left one, the formerly un-used holes can be the new parking brake mount holes.  Of course, a perfectionist like you probably couldn't live with knowing that there were the remains of bolts still left in place!

I've obviously gone back and reread your whole thread... it makes me realize that most of the questions I threw at you were addressed earlier. Still, I've come up with a few more. I see you got those long studs out of the cast uprights... can a typical local auto shop handle that (safely)?  Were you able to save them?  You said you would likely replace them anyway... where is your source?  Have you heard anything yet from Dominion?  I should be having my frame blasted later this week.  Now I'm off to get a blast cabinet for the smaller stuff... clean parts are almost like new parts, right?

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/27/20 4:53 p.m.
TVR Scott said:

I've been wanting better info for designing the radiator and intercooler intake shrouds.  So my latest activity has been more in the realm of computer work than car work.  3D Scanning!

I bought an XBox Kinect sensor for $25 from a guy on Craigslist, and then had to get a power-cord / USB adaptor from Amazon for another $9.  Software I'm using right now is Reconstruct Me for the surface capture, and Mesh Mixer for clean-up.  Pretty neat stuff.

My first real experiment was with the driver's side fender.  I brought it inside and scanned it in a couple different configurations.

End result is a bit crude but really not bad!

The fit to my measured 3d model of the frame is relatively close.  Not perfect, but the fender is sort of hacked and probably was deformed sitting on the floor.  But this surface model is very useable for my interests.

Top view:

I just mirrored the left fender to get the right side.  My actual right fender is really hacked up from the PO's turbo installation.  I haven't decided if I'm going to source new ones or fix the ones I have.

Hey, bumping back to this for a quick question: when you scanned the fender, were you able to move the camera around it, or did the camera need to remain fixed?

Also, I made some progress on that other thing I asked you about, but not sure it'll happen for this year. Thanks!

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

I moved the camera around.  Overall the whole cheapo-scanning has left me pretty unsatisfied.  I tried to do a scan of the hood and I could never get a consistent surface.  All garbage and cleanup.  I tried Reconstruct Me and Skanect, and neither did very much.  Sometimes even getting any scan was impossible. 

There was a program called K-Scan- that looks to be no longer supported - that seemed to make really nice scans.

Let me know on the other!  What's your minimum thickness?  I can dig around in the scrap heap some...

In reply to Stu Lasswell :

I did have the local shop remove the long studs.  They destroyed them in the process.  They even banged up the castings a little.  I wasn't super happy with the job.

Probably I'll be ordering new studs from the UK.  Dominion is still MIA.

I thought about leaving the broken bolts in, but the whole car is already blown apart.  May as well drill them out now.  That, and I've got a Helicoil fetish.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/28/20 8:33 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

Well that sure is some pretty welding. Definitely won't break in that location! Nice work and glad you "killed" the funk!

More welding yesterday.

I added in some little gussets on the back end, where the old tubes were too thin.

Clamped in place:

Used the Tig on the outside edges, and filled in that tight inside corner with the wire-feed.  It did remarkably well with the the limited access.

Here it is cleaned up a little.  More quality time with a cold chisel will be needed.

Actually, that picture is of the other side, but you get the idea.

Welded the old shock tabs to the new tube.  Boy, is it ever thin along that top edge.  The new gusset is really going to be the only support there.

Did some more doubler-plates on the front too.  Passenger's side is done with doublers:

Two to go on the Driver's side:

That's it for now!

JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter)
JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/29/20 8:29 a.m.

It's looking good.

Have you considered modeling the frame and running a stress analysis on it?  This might indicate weak points that could use reinforcement.  Never having done this myself, it could also be a huge time sink not worth the effort.  Maybe someone in the TVR community has already put in some effort.

Keep it up.

In reply to JoeTR6 (Forum Supporter) :

I have the frame modeled about 2/3 of the way.  I did discuss doing some FEA with my stress analyst buddy.  Could be interesting to see.  And he knows how to do it right, not just generate rainbow-triangles.

I should probably finish my 3d model before I start reassembly.

Reassembly.  Hilarious!

I just ordered the new studs from Racetech TVR in the UK.  About $150 including shipping.  Ugh.

Also one thing I've learned - Paypal is a lot happier sending international payments than my bank.  The bank always tries to do the double-verification text code thing, and by the time I can respond back the transaction has already been denied.  Paypal goes right thru.

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell New Reader
5/30/20 11:13 a.m.

Thanks for that info, Scott.  I haven't taken my uprights into a shop yet... maybe they are salvage-able. At that price, I hope so! My frame goes to the blaster om Monday am.

Stu Lasswell said:

Thanks for that info, Scott.  I haven't taken my uprights into a shop yet... maybe they are salvage-able. At that price, I hope so! My frame goes to the blaster om Monday am.

Better start your build thread!  Perfect starting point!

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell New Reader
6/2/20 6:57 a.m.

OK Scott, you shamed me into starting a build thread. I'm not a mechanic, welder, or automotive engineer, so don't expect any revelations there! Heck, I don't even have the sense to use a nom de plume instead of my real name. So far all I've really done is introduce myself. I'll try to get it caught up over the next few posts (got it blasted yesterday... looks pretty, exposed some rot). It's just titled '74 TVR 2500M.

(Jesse) Ransom
(Jesse) Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/2/20 12:49 p.m.

For many of us, the thing being built in a build thread is mostly our own skills. Which is awesome.

More plate welding yesterday.  No pics at the moment.

Spent the whole afternoon battling my work computer.  Was all set to do a new windows install and rebuild everything.  Got a new hard drive, but it turned out to be the wrong size.  Now - after disassembly and removal and reinstallation of the old hard drive, the pc fired right back up and is running fine.  So now I don't know what to do there.

I guess it's an extension of my usual "Turn it off, turn it back on again" approach to computer repair.  "Turn it off, take it apart, put it together, turn it back on again."

TVRs2Lotus
TVRs2Lotus
6/5/20 11:52 a.m.

Sooooo, I have to give Thanks to Stu for alerting me to this thread... I have migrated a bit away from TVRs in the past 10-15 years, but as I still own 6 of them, I'm connected. I also managed a 2nd place in CS at the 98 National Solo2 in my TVR 3000S. BUT what excited me most is as I started reading is how MANY of the characters I was involved in with in your story at one time or another! 

I met/knew Jeff, the original owner when he was in San Diego. (I may have a couple pics of it somewhere) Wondered where he went.

Back in the early days of GRM, Tim made a trek out here to San Diego and he came to my house to see my project Griff200, which prompted him to look for his and you all know that history. My Griff got sold to Virginia area, then France, then the UK where it was completed and converted to RHD and runs some vintage stuff there. I will try to find a link of it running if any body wants to see...

You mentioned Sportscar Craftsmen and I lived in the Denver area and worked at ScotlandYard salvage yard before leaving in 1984. Paul, owner of SCC was a part owner of ScotYard back then.

Sorry, I had to jump to the end to post this before I "binge read" this because knowing so many players was cool to me!! See ya when I'm caught up!! 

Bill

In reply to TVRs2Lotus :

Very cool, Bill!  Thanks for chiming in!

I'd love to hear more about your cars and experiences!

TVRs2Lotus
TVRs2Lotus New Reader
6/5/20 1:39 p.m.
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to TVRs2Lotus :

Very cool, Bill!  Thanks for chiming in!

I'd love to hear more about your cars and experiences!

Well, TVR wise, in the garage is a 1968 Tuscan SE V8, a 1977 Taimar Turbo, a 1972 "hybrid" w/a 302 and a 1979 3000S....two 05 Elises and an 09 GXP Solstice manual coupe.. It was fun being the fastest stock TVR in the Nation (And CStock) via SCCA Solo2 nats for one day. :)  Got away from autocross for @ 10 years, but just started again for the last 2 years..

TVRs2Lotus
TVRs2Lotus New Reader
6/5/20 1:48 p.m.

Then while searching for Jeffs card.. I found a Glory day shot... wink

In reply to TVRs2Lotus :

Oh my lord...

TVRs2Lotus
TVRs2Lotus New Reader
6/5/20 4:53 p.m.

I don't if it's PC or not, but  got to page 9....and saw you trying out colors and thought you would get a kick of whats under one of my car covers (I've got 25+ pages to go and you may have painted it already..lol. So sue me. )

I should add it was originally black. But the paint was getting a bit tired I was told and a valiant attempt to clear coat it actually ended yellowing a bit and now it has a REALLY dark brown look to it.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/5/20 5:10 p.m.

In reply to TVRs2Lotus :

I love the Turbo graphics.  I think I've decided that if I ever get a TVR it'll have to be turbocharged just so I can use those graphics.

Stampie (FS) said:

In reply to TVRs2Lotus :

I love the Turbo graphics.  I think I've decided that if I ever get a TVR it'll have to be turbocharged just so I can use those graphics.

You just figured out one of my reasons for the 2.0 EcoBoost.

TVRs2Lotus
TVRs2Lotus New Reader
6/5/20 6:09 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Original from 1977 It was the New York Auto Show Car... but when I got it 15+ years ago... it was a different feeling. I laughed at how "subtle" it was  lol TURBO....ultimately, somewhat similar out put Turbo Essex V6 netted @240hp/ 270tq. but from an archaic 3 litre..

1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 88

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IWFZGM2tKLA197S2jxnfNOkkT4IcElXoWqXFL2UjUR6EmgZmN5NyxJga8W4Ua4hg