1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 ... 88
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/13/21 8:08 a.m.

You could also look at the electric compressor from a Prius. 

As far as underdash, vintage air has some super compact units. If you want, i can offer to help find something that may fit.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/21 8:13 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

As far as underdash, vintage air has some super compact units. If you want, i can offer to help find something that may fit.

I hadn't thought of the Prius unit - that's a good idea!

I would love some assistance from you.  I've never done any A/C work before, and I'll admit that intimidates me a bit!

BTW, I'm going to be sort of in your neck of the woods next week.  My oldest daughter and I are doing a college tour and we'll be in Chapel Hill for a couple days.  Any recommendations for activities there?

Dusterbd13-michael
7/13/21 8:58 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Unfortunately, i don't get up that way much so i don't have many suggestions. 

The sunsets from satterwhite point on kerr lake are amazing. 

Lexington, nc, a short drive, is the bbq capital of nc (some say the world). Lexington bbq, sliced brown meat would be my recommendation. 

Brett Murphy lives up that way, and can definitely fill you in on more. 

As far as ac: electric cars have electric ac compressors. Also, a sanden sd7 is quite possibly the smallest belt driven compressor ive come across. May be able to fit. 

Underdash: ill need some dimensions and pictures, as ive never been under the passenger's side dsdh of one of these. But if we can stuff vintage air behind a model a dash, we should be able to fit one in a tvr.

Dusterbd13-michael
7/13/21 9:12 a.m.

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/61181-vintage-air-gen-ii-mini-install/

Just as an idea of what we'll be getting into. Either that, or like the install i did on my duster.

Biggest complaint about aftermarket air is no outside air, only recirculate. 

damarble
damarble Reader
7/13/21 11:58 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

That could be mounted literally anywhere, right? 

Dusterbd13-michael
7/13/21 12:23 p.m.

In reply to damarble :

In theory, yes. However, hoses and lower still need run to it, and airflow to keep it from overheating.

twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/13/21 1:40 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Aren't Prius compressors part of the high voltage package? And take like 400 volts or so to operate?

Dusterbd13-michael
7/13/21 3:20 p.m.

In reply to twentyover :

Well, E36 M3. You are correct. I know the electric compressors are becoming more common, but I don't know if they are all that way. I apologize for the misinformation.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/21 3:54 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I could see a big market for electric AC in the fleet buyers down south.  They hit us a lot about idle time like we're going to not try and keep cool in FL. 

twentyover
7/13/21 5:38 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to twentyover :

Well, E36 M3. You are correct. I know the electric compressors are becoming more common, but I don't know if they are all that way. I apologize for the misinformation.

Ready for a dumb ass suggestion? Binky used a cable drive alternator. Could you use a cable driven compressor.? Understand I have done absolutely NO research on this.

TVR Scott
7/13/21 5:39 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I'm guessing companies like yours will go full EV as they buy new fleet.  Second investment will be in a micro solar grid at the depot.

TVR Scott
7/13/21 7:45 p.m.
twentyover said:

Ready for a dumb ass suggestion? Binky used a cable drive alternator. Could you use a cable driven compressor.? Understand I have done absolutely NO research on this.

Tell me more.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/21 9:37 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

I thought about that but they save money by having us home based.  Do they then pay for the employee's electric bill?  15ish years ago a bean counter decided they could save money by removing the data plan from our work phones.  That meant we couldn't get work orders on the phone and had to drive back into the shop each morning to get our work orders.  As it was told to me that saved something like 10k a month in our market.  According to the vehicle manager it cost us an extra 20k in gas the first month.  They added data back to our phones.  They want us to think home base is so that we don't have to drive in each morning and get back home earlier each evening.  Nope it's because they save money on gas plus I get to my first job 30 minutes earlier each day.  Everything is about the bottom line.

CoolHandMoss
CoolHandMoss
7/13/21 9:41 p.m.

Fantastic thread Scott. I've been working my way through for a couple weeks. I am in negotiations to pick up my own 2500 sometime in August hopefully and will be beginning a similar build. Thanks so much for all the excellent documentation you have done of your project, particularly all the creative solutions to your challenges. 

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
7/13/21 10:06 p.m.

A guy from Brevard (NC) contacted me a couple of years ago and wanted to head here to see some TVRs. Met him here, then drove to China Grove (about 30 miles) to see a guy with a couple more. His was also a project (aren't they all?) but his had what I believe was dealer installed air conditioning!  I've got a couple of pictures of his car, but as it's a stock 2500M (Triumph engine) I don't expect his set-up would be of any use to you.

By the way, Scott, if you're going to be THAT close (it's just a couple of hours) I think the sights you need to see are here in Albemarle NC!  You could see what a TVR frame looks like when it hasn't been abused, thrashed, and neglected.  And Michael and I can show you a night on the town... that should be good for about 20 minutes!  In the mean time I'll try to get you those measurements.

I found the photos he sent me...

I'm sure there's a better way!  I can't see how the compressor and pulley are run off the engine... must be an extension out to in front of that frame member.

twentyover
7/14/21 7:39 a.m.
TVR Scott said:
twentyover said:

Tell me more.

Project Binky is a Youtube video series where Bad Obsession Motorsport is replacing a mini drivetrain with one from a AWD Celica GT-4. Not really much to tell- the guys are expert bracket makers. The alternator doesn't fit inside the hood, so they move it to the flywheel side of the engine.  

See

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tzWC2G3mr0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPYNCt5yV-U

Dusterbd13-michael
7/14/21 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Stu Lasswell :

That looks to be a standard issue ara/frost king underdash unit. Thise were generally cool only. Wonder if the stock heater box was in the way of it going back further...

And i like your idea of inviting scott down! I could let him drive a neon. And we could take him to the goody shop if its open.....

Great pictures of the install on that tvr. Gives me something to work towards 

TVR Scott
7/14/21 10:30 a.m.

Alright, Albemarle Boys, I asked my daughter and she's game for a visit!  It would be Weds morning, the 21st.  Maybe arrive mid morning and check out all the cool cars, bbq for lunch, and then we'll find some interesting history site or a good hike for the afternoon.

CoolHandMoss
CoolHandMoss New Reader
7/14/21 12:54 p.m.

Sealed the deal on my 2500 today. Picking it up first week in august. 

TVR Scott
7/14/21 1:24 p.m.

In reply to CoolHandMoss :

Ohhhhhhh.  That's so crusty and horrible.  I love it!

That's an early car like mine.  You can tell from hood ducts and the side vents.

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
7/14/21 1:32 p.m.

It's amazing to me how many 2500Ms there are out there, considering there having been only 946 made! Looks to be an early ('72-'73) car based on the wheels... the later cars came with the T-slots. Then again, wheels are an easy swap.  Got the back glass? How about the bumpers? Most anything else is readily available.  Where is it, and where are you?

CoolHandMoss
CoolHandMoss New Reader
7/14/21 1:33 p.m.

Pretty excited. It's a decent specimen. back glass has fallen through but is not broken. It's complete but the windshield is broken. Terrible hideous interior though. I'll start a build thread once I get it home.

Also, if your mold for the sunroof plug is re-useable, I'll come get it off your hands! 

Dusterbd13-michael
7/14/21 1:36 p.m.
TVR Scott said:

Alright, Albemarle Boys, I asked my daughter and she's game for a visit!  It would be Weds morning, the 21st.  Maybe arrive mid morning and check out all the cool cars, bbq for lunch, and then we'll find some interesting history site or a good hike for the afternoon.

I just requested the day off. Looks like we're going to have a good time.

TVR Scott
7/14/21 1:42 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Sweet!  Shoot me a text - tree oh tree - nyne fore fyve - zero fyve fore tew.

CoolHandMoss
CoolHandMoss New Reader
7/14/21 3:17 p.m.
Stu Lasswell said:

It's amazing to me how many 2500Ms there are out there, considering there having been only 946 made! Looks to be an early ('72-'73) car based on the wheels... the later cars came with the T-slots. Then again, wheels are an easy swap.  Got the back glass? How about the bumpers? Most anything else is readily available.  Where is it, and where are you?

It has back glass and the bumpers are inside the car. Freshly chromed I am told. Has everything else but I need the window rubbers and a new windscreen. The car and I are both in VA, about an hour east of Richmond. 

1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 ... 88

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
suNyxig3dFJ1KNPZ95gvt32DP9z8E6OYa97yUvhqSuSqjIVBRlQmlTU81D2MoHTP