1 2 3 4 5 6
vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/15/16 11:50 a.m.
Madhatr
Madhatr New Reader
6/15/16 12:53 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette:

How well do they work to get into the storage area?

On the daily driver side of things I captured a really nice sunrise last week...

photo 20160610_054229.jpg

This morning not so much

photo 20160615_054910.jpg

Pros and cons to being on the road at 5:30am

vwcorvette
6/15/16 1:28 p.m.

No problem getting into the back. Seats flip forward.

BTW, I teach driver ed. Not a fan of phone use while driving no matter how picturesque. Hope you pulled off the road to shoot those.

Madhatr
Madhatr New Reader
6/15/16 8:45 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette:

The vette seats have the release at the top fore easy access, I am curious how other seats work out... does the latch/lever get blocked with the interior layout?

As far as the pics go... no, phone in hand is NOT recommended, but yes I have several spots in my commute where I can/do stop. I also make sure I am clear of any and all traffic before stoping for a shot.

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
7/10/16 6:24 a.m.

Brought home a 76 vette yesturday... and all I can say is:

MINT!

photo 20160709_204945.jpg

photo 20160709_204856.jpg

Ok...not really mint, the floors are rotten, but it has good windshield (to hopefully replace my recently cracked one) and still has some other good parts. My plan is to use it to mock up the roll cage for my 77 as build my other chassis.

I also got the title and the build sheet off the fuel tank  photo 20160709_201752.jpg

For that all important corvette documentation

Its funny, for someone that never even considered having a Corvette, this the 3rd one I have bought

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
7/25/16 10:18 p.m.

Two weeks since I drug home that tub, Wow time does fly.

Our region held another rallycross this last Sunday. Yet another new venue, but this one was with in 5miles of home.

I went over Saturday to help set course, and we got dumped on by a big storm, high wind. Lightning, hail, the works...  photo 20160723_142028.jpg we all took shelter in the rally trailer to wait it out. When it was done the course was flooded...

photo 20160723_143628.jpg

photo 20160723_143639.jpg

With that and some very near by lightning strikes we called it a day and finished setting up Sunday.

The hard packed gravel surface drained over night, only leaving a hand full of soft spots...

photo 20160724_115403.jpg

The track dried further as the day went on, and everyone had a great time.

Here is a video I put together of my runs, I am still a NOOB to this video editing stuff so bear with me

https://www.youtube.com/embed/VZFPDRMbTD4

My family showed up to watch and between my wife and mother, over 3000 pictures were taken. I haven't even begun to sorth through those but once I do I will post them up!

vwcorvette
7/26/16 11:41 a.m.

Cant tell you how much I like seeing this car and what you do with it. My shark is currently on jack stands waiting for me to finish my Challenge van.

Any trouble getting mud and moisture out of the frame pockets where the trailing arms attach?

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
7/26/16 12:45 p.m.
Madhatr wrote: Brought home a 76 vette yesturday... and all I can say is: MINT!  photo 20160709_204945.jpg  photo 20160709_204856.jpg Ok...not really mint, the floors are rotten, but it has good windshield (to hopefully replace my recently cracked one) and still has some other good parts. My plan is to use it to mock up the roll cage for my 77 as build my other chassis. I also got the title and the build sheet off the fuel tank  photo 20160709_201752.jpg For that all important corvette documentation Its funny, for someone that never even considered having a Corvette, this the 3rd one I have bought

You have to bring a car to a Bloomington Gold show with a build sheet and paperwork and record the people's facial expressions when they see the off road rubber bolted to the thing.

FooBag
FooBag GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/26/16 3:10 p.m.

Here's a few pictures of you that popped up on FB.

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
7/26/16 7:33 p.m.
FooBag wrote: Here's a few pictures of you that popped up on FB.

Man, those are cool! I noted the guy taking pics on course and was hoping he got some good ones. I also think it is funny I can almost tell which run they are from by the video camera position.

Now, if I could just get as fast as everyone else...

At least I hope I put on a good show!

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
7/26/16 8:13 p.m.

I went to the Corvette invasion at Circuit of the Americas over the weekend. My friend has a C5 Corvette and he's been trying to get me to buy a Corvette for my next car. I keep telling him they don't fit what I want to do. I want to rallycross and autocross and that's not what those cars do. And then I remembered your car and how you are making me into a big fat liar. So thanks for that

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
7/26/16 8:23 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette:

Well, I can't tell you, how cool /I/ think it is that my shenanigans make you, and so many others happy. When I started all of this I had dawned my proverbial flame suit expecting so much hate. However, mostly the reactions have (especially here) been positive... and the car is usually met with a big incredulous grin of wonder.

To answer your question, I have knocked mud and vegetation out of the frame pockets. I try to watch for it as much as I can because it could be an issue. My real concern is the winter road salt, making me seriously considering having the new frame galvanized.

Also the vibration has a tendancy to do bad things to the rear suspension as a whole. I need to reset the rear camber do to my adjustable camber rods rattling loose. I have been thinking of ways to beef up the C4 suspension I have for the extreme duty use I have intended. I would be open to any suggestions

In reply to SilverFleet:

Unfortunately the 76 is pretty far gone, but I do have the title. So maybe a vettekart later? Or maybee when I'm done it can go to save another car with terminal bird cage rust.

At the end of August I am headed to an all Corvette show. We will see how the dirt tires go over there

Pics from 2014:

photo COTR3S.jpg  photo COTR5S.jpg

photo COTR7S.jpg

Even with the street tires I got "Oh, THAT corvette" acouple times... this should be fun

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
7/26/16 8:32 p.m.

This just may be the most awesome c3 I have ever seen.

FooBag
FooBag GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/26/16 8:35 p.m.
Nick (picaso) Comstock wrote: I want to rallycross and autocross and that's not what those cars do. And then I remembered your car and how you are making me into a big fat liar. So thanks for that

You don't even have to pick a C3 either! I saw this C4 in Kansas City rallycrossing.

And then this C5 in Nebraska: http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2015/06/09/video-rallycross-in-a-c5-corvette-z06/

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
7/27/16 6:10 a.m.

In reply to FooBag:

I like that many of us around the country have seemingly almost simultaneously said "well berkeley, let's get the Vette dirty!"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
7/27/16 6:42 a.m.
Madhatr wrote: Also the vibration has a tendancy to do bad things to the rear suspension as a whole. I need to reset the rear camber do to my adjustable camber rods rattling loose. I have been thinking of ways to beef up the C4 suspension I have for the extreme duty use I have intended. I would be open to any suggestions

Post photos of C4 suspension- we've got a lot of rallycrossers here, and I've prepped a number of inappropriate vehicles for RallyX so I'm sure we can come up with something!

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
7/27/16 7:07 a.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

Cool! I know the C4 suspension is pretty stout but extra insurance is always good. I do have a couple ideas, I want it to be able to survive what ever I throw at it. Next week when I dig it and move it to the frame/build location, I will definitely post some pics.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
7/27/16 7:19 a.m.

Even what the current stuff looks like would allow some "educated guesswork" as to how to make it stronger- but if the plan is to eventually stick the C4 stuff on, might as well put in the work on that instead.

I'm not really familiar with these cars (although I'd like to be!) but google images shows me a goofy looking trailing arm with lateral links under the diff- are those links what you're having issues with? I do like how easy it looks to adjust the ride height.

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
7/27/16 9:59 a.m.

Yes you are correct the lower strut rods that set camber are what I am having an issue with currently

(Not my car-pic for reference)

The factory used a cam-bolt (under the diff) to set the camber by pushing the strut rod in or out on the bottom of the trailing arm. I up graded to a much beefer set of turnbuckle style strut rods so my settings stay close when I have to pull it all apart. I noticed the wheels looked tipped in further, when I checked underneath the jam nuts on the threaded ends have come loose.

Toe is set by wedged shims on either side of the trailing arm pivot bolt. However a good shot to the trailing arm (like say catching a hard burm or say I dunno a bridge rail) can bend the arm just a head of the spindle mount

photo 20160312_095324.jpg

Making toe impossible to set.

I was going to build my own offset super beefy trailing arms but then found the screaming deal on the 87 suspension... which is lighter and has better geometry. It also gives me a valid excuse to change out my bent frame

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
7/27/16 10:49 a.m.

If you're bending arms you can plate/gusset them, that's the nice thing about steel. If the fasteners on your lower links are loosening, could it be that the links are rubbing the ground? I would think a well tightened jam nut shouldn't go anywhere, even with the amount of vibration that thing probably sees duing a rallycross- maybe a small skidplate to protect them?

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
7/27/16 1:05 p.m.

I realy would not think the jam nut would have moved either, but it will now be on my regular inspection routine. It will not be hard to readjust though so I am not worried.

As far as the C4 suspension goes, I am to remove any stress risers I can and I am going to do some research on Baja and trophy truck construction. I seem to remember one I saw that had an extra 'spine' welded up the leg of the front Arms. Interesting concept, my concern is messing up the aluminum heat treat.

Also be assured that skid plates are in the design of the new chassis as well

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
7/27/16 5:11 p.m.

In reply to Nick (picaso) Comstock:

I do what I can

vwcorvette
7/27/16 8:00 p.m.
Madhatr wrote: In reply to FooBag: I like that many of us around the country have seemingly almost simultaneously said "well berkeley, let's get the Vette dirty!"

LOL, I live on a dirt road. The shark is always dirty.

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
7/28/16 9:08 a.m.

In reply to vwcorvette:

Ha! I grew up out in the country. All of my friends and I, lived on gravel roads. When I turned 16 my dad and I got my parents beater 68 Camaro running for me to drive back and forth to school/work. So I see nothing wrong with that!

MulletTruck
MulletTruck New Reader
7/28/16 9:33 a.m.

You need one of these for those overnighters.

[URL=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/BanditMan1200/media/13669611_1017026825077705_3984917824262589860_n_zpsiqqdzpsx.jpg.html][/URL]

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FwPVvslox81qN8wie28ycDN94o3FYIePiQI5r6XZQlpwW9cGdliZLGhZF9D2pkg7