1 ... 10 11 12
Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
3/31/22 10:12 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

thank you.. after 5 years of the road,,its getting closer to running,, cant wait an extra 80 to 100 more hp in the ecotec 2.2 build over the oem 2.0 115 hp...should be a wee bit faster.. and better fuel mileage.. the oem got about 27 on the highway.. the 2.2 in the chevy gets about 34 on the highway, my car being about 700  pounds light, should get a little more than that..also my tank has not seen petrol for many years now.. before i washed it out a few months ago,, there was no smell,, but i did wash it out with dawn dishwashing soap and water a few time... i dont want to beat elon musk to the moon, when i weld on it

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/22 10:18 p.m.

In reply to Alfaromeoguy :

Mine was all stock with the mechanical fuel injection and was a ton of fun. Yours is going to be a riot!! 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
3/31/22 10:44 p.m.

all the brakes are upgraded to 12.19 vented disk pn all 4 cornersand brembo/ porsche boxster 4 pot calipers the same way , the mounts for the calipers to the car, i hade rotor hat on all 4 are 2 part.. had to make the rear hats myself.. like most of this upgrade,,not too many off the shelf part to buy for me, that would bolt onto the car.. last major thing, will be a panhard bar for the rear end... the wiring and cooling system is pretty easy to amke

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
3/31/22 10:45 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

there is something to say for a stock spider,, keep the revs up and toss it around in the corners... who need a hyper car for that.. alfas more fun

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
4/1/22 4:49 a.m.
Alfaromeoguy said:

Great idea on using the pvc to plan out the exhaust route. 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
4/2/22 11:22 p.m.

i messed up,,i put the cross-under tube under the trans..in front of the trans mount/ crossmember.. will move to the rear  of the trans mount crossmember  , under the trans tailshaft.. i can tuck it up higher into the body, that way

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
4/3/22 8:23 p.m.

welding the tank for new ford pump sender assb..... thin sheet steel, welding at lowest setting.... after welds are done and sanded smooth.. will solder the welds over to seal any pinhole leaks         

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
4/3/22 8:24 p.m.

will make outer steel ring and rubber gasket to seal the pump to the tank..update.. decided not to make a steel ring,, to flexable,, will go with a 5 mm thicl al ring.. to seal the pump/sender to the tank

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
4/4/22 7:31 p.m.

made the alum. sealing ring, a patched the larges section of the tank.. will finsih the smaller ones in a few day...ran out of wire..lol   

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
4/4/22 7:44 p.m.

will use rubber bonded steel washers to bolt pump onto tank,, still will use a rubber gasket, between the pump body and the tank

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
4/4/22 8:27 p.m.

finel welds.. sanded  as best as i can, ready for lead wipe/ solder over the sanded welds. to do the finel tank seal

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
4/4/22 8:28 p.m.

after this.. just coolent system finish and wiring... easy stuff....no shop no cnc,, most of this was built on my rear deck, the car is 8 miles away.. so build the part,, stuff onto the car... have to really think this thru

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
4/4/22 9:18 p.m.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
4/5/22 1:41 p.m.

Your list is getting pretty short. I'm excited to see this one run! Better plan on getting video posted for us when you're running. 

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
4/5/22 10:48 p.m.

washed the tank clean.. scrubed it with vinegar them  acetone.. and vinegar wash.. ready for soldering

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
4/6/22 10:15 p.m.

having a hard time soldering the tank top. too seal the the few pinholes in my welds....sooooo.... JB weld the weld seams.. to cover the few pinholes that are there... JBweld website, say's   it will work.... there is little to no pressure on the tank.. and will not be using/ fueling the tanks for a few weeks.. so it should cure well... any thoughts? before i make a mess?

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
4/6/22 10:43 p.m.

tank to fuel pump seal    

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/6/22 11:00 p.m.
Alfaromeoguy said:

having a hard time soldering the tank top. too seal the the few pinholes in my welds....sooooo.... JB weld the weld seams.. to cover the few pinholes that are there... JBweld website, say's   it will work.... there is little to no pressure on the tank.. and will not be using/ fueling the tanks for a few weeks.. so it should cure well... any thoughts? before i make a mess?

What kind of solder are you using?

I have no personal experience, but have heard from others that this stuff is the best for fuel tanks: https://eclecticproducts.com/product/seal-all/

J-B also makes an epoxy putty that's intended to repair fuel tanks. It seems to get good reviews.

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
4/10/22 11:03 p.m.

working to seal the tunnel, made a cardboard pattern,, fit it to the car.. trimmed it.. fitted it.. to get it as close as i can... ok, thats done,, traced the patter to some, sheet steel.. trimed per pattern... had to make some sharp 90 bends... dont have a bender, so thick alumiumn plate will work... clamped it with vice grips,, started to bend the 3 sections to fit...looked great after i finished.... bending    it the wrong direction

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
4/11/22 12:28 a.m.

and 1 tip.. if you are working on the ground... a sand bag is much, much better on your knees than foam pads... also great support when you are welding inside the car, for your arms

Alfaromeoguy
Alfaromeoguy HalfDork
4/21/22 8:18 p.m.

an 6 fuel lines arrived today.. fittings in a few days

1 ... 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gCVfDLz1q8eiChAf2ITsQ0g5wTsqFqaCxggNJxoxxoRrGNPiO1HwOkOdifzhb3T5