1 2
Dhill
Dhill None
9/29/19 6:15 p.m.

Hello everybody and thanks for checking out my build thread. I'm currently building a 323i for trackdays but used the grms $2000 challenge as a guideline to stay within budget. I do have a question. I want to do a stud conversion, do I need record the cost of the studs in the excel sheet?

Dhill
Dhill New Reader
9/29/19 6:23 p.m.

Dhill
Dhill New Reader
9/29/19 7:35 p.m.

found a lot of sludge in the engine

Dhill
Dhill New Reader
9/29/19 8:03 p.m.

replaced oil filter housing gasket, oil pan gasket, spark plugs, and valve cover gasket

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/29/19 8:05 p.m.

Studs would be exempt so I think third tap no budget hit.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/19 8:06 p.m.

Studs are exempt but you can put it in the budget with an exempt note

Dhill
Dhill New Reader
9/29/19 8:33 p.m.

Thanks for the reply. I will try and have them installed before the event

Dhill
Dhill New Reader
9/30/19 1:41 p.m.

engine in its new home. Also installed condor speed shop solid engine and trans mount.

Dhill
Dhill New Reader
9/30/19 1:46 p.m.

installed garagistic solid chassis mounted short shifter and dssr selector rod.

Dhill
Dhill New Reader
9/30/19 1:49 p.m.

All that's left is bleed brakes, bleed clutch, adjust the coilovers, and take it for shake down.  Then I can focus on stripping the interior for some weight reduction.

Dhill
Dhill New Reader
9/30/19 3:46 p.m.

I have a quick question,

I bought toyo proxes r888 off eBay for $800 and it came with some no-name rims. Tires and rims were never used. I priced the tires on tire rack for $843.76. How can I calculate the fair market price for the no-name rims?

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
9/30/19 3:50 p.m.

In reply to Dhill :

I would probably look for similar-style wheels of the same size and width on ebay that look equivalently no-name-ish, and go from there.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
9/30/19 3:52 p.m.

I thought I had seen serious sludge, but that makes everything I have seen before look like a clean engine.surprise

Dhill
Dhill New Reader
9/30/19 4:13 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Will do thanks. The only thing I'm wondering is do I really need to find the fair market price for the rims since it came with the tires.

Dhill
Dhill New Reader
9/30/19 4:15 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Lol it was bad. Didn't have time to properly remove the sludge because of the time crunch. I removed what I could.

Dhill
Dhill New Reader
9/30/19 4:16 p.m.

She is alive ladies and gentlemen!!

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
9/30/19 4:22 p.m.

In reply to Dhill :

When in doubt, if you have a picture of the wheels, folks here will be able to give you an estimated FMV based on how nice/crappy they look. laugh 

Dhill
Dhill New Reader
9/30/19 4:24 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Lol I will post the picture

Dhill
Dhill New Reader
9/30/19 4:28 p.m.

Dhill
Dhill New Reader
9/30/19 4:29 p.m.

That 's the best picture I have, but i have proof of paypal transaction.

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
9/30/19 4:46 p.m.

Thinking about it some more, given that you have the receipt, and everything is basically "new" I think it'd be fair to say you paid $400 for the tires and $400 for the wheels, so if you're just using one or the other on the car, you can probably justify that as a $400 budget entry. Others may have a different opinion.

On the other hand, if you actually sell the rims, then you'd recoup that amount towards your $800 purchase and the remainder would go into the budget.

Dhill
Dhill New Reader
9/30/19 5:39 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

remember the tires are not part of the budget

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
9/30/19 6:27 p.m.

In reply to Dhill :

Oh, that's right. I forgot.

Then in that case...I'm completely at a loss for how to account for the wheels. surprise You could say the tires were worth $800, being never used, and the wheels were free...but someone could call you out on it. If it was me, I would pro-rate the tires at something like $600 as "technically not new, but never used, brand-name tires" value, and say the wheels were $200, which works out to $50 each, which sounds plausible for pre-owned no-name wheels of questionable origin. So then I'd put the $200 wheels in the budget, and the $600 tires would go in as exempt, just so they're documented...and then hope for the best.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/30/19 6:42 p.m.
slowbird said:

In reply to Dhill :

Oh, that's right. I forgot.

Then in that case...I'm completely at a loss for how to account for the wheels. surprise You could say the tires were worth $800, being never used, and the wheels were free...but someone could call you out on it. If it was me, I would pro-rate the tires at something like $600 as "technically not new, but never used, brand-name tires" value, and say the wheels were $200, which works out to $50 each, which sounds plausible for pre-owned no-name wheels of questionable origin. So then I'd put the $200 wheels in the budget, and the $600 tires would go in as exempt, just so they're documented...and then hope for the best.

Pretty much my thoughts on wheel value. Ive scored sets for 100 ($25 each), but never nice ones.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/30/19 6:53 p.m.

Nice rims I don't play over $200. Not nice not over $100. Dude has a meth habit I'm offering $50 at most. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
05Vq1VPDbPUnrCIJHQXtNJmkjpMWA6qFCnMrI1Rxs15J5DLbKcEzwlu2kTCPNgB6