1 ... 4 5 6
Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
3/23/20 10:08 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:

Truth:  this thread is one of the ones that convinced me to buy another 944.  Now I'm hoping Dean really wants to buy it stil. as I don't have the space for this many cars.

Never thought I could be an influencer.  LOL  

I just wish today had been warmer and with no snow.  I need to sand and put another coat of primer on the front bumper but can't do that with the temperatures below freezing.  

Hope everyone is staying healthy and safe.  Keep working on the projects. 

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
4/4/20 5:28 p.m.

Well I finally had a nice day, with temperatures well above freezing and sun.  It was great, I couldn't pass up the chance to get the front bumper painted.  Next steps are to out the lights back in and mount it up.  Then I'll take pictures of the car all back in black.  

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
4/6/20 11:27 a.m.

And the car is back together.  Both bumpers on.  Signal lights work.  We are good to go.

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
5/13/20 8:47 a.m.

After trolling around the 924 forums for a while ibwas finally able to find an HVAC faceplate that was legible.  I never really knew where to place the controls over the past years I've owned the car.  One of the forum members close to me sent one over.  Not a huge thing to replace, but every bit helps the car look better.  

Now off to work on the 944.  1 headlight to fix and a patch panel to make.  

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
12/1/20 2:25 p.m.

Winter is setting in and I have the 924 here in my garage.  I have been focused on the 944 alot over the summer to get it running and I need a break from that.  So I have time, the pandemic has given me more than my share of free time, and I finally decided to work on the 924 because it seems to have an over fueling problem when driven on the track.  So I am starting with the injectors.  Took an hour and removed them from the car and put them in some carb cleaner. 

When the spring hits I will take it out and run a compression test and leakdown to make sure the internals of the engine are good. 

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
12/4/20 11:15 a.m.

So after a couple days in the cleaner I took the injectors out and dried them off.  Lots of dirt in the cleaner, so I will take that as a good sign.  This weekend I will take them to my dads garage where he has an electro cleaning tool that we can put the injectors in for a couple of hours and then I will re-install. 

So what do I do with the old carb cleaner?  I can't just dump it down the sink or on the street.  People may not like that. I also don't want to dump it in a gast tank.  I do have old oil saved up, maybe I can dump it in there?

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
12/11/20 12:24 p.m.

I finally got out to my dad's house where he has a Branson electric parts cleaner.  

I dumped my injectors and the top bolts inside it and let them clean for 3 hours.  When we took them out and ran air through the injectors there was a nice dispersion of cleaning fluid that came out.  And the injectors looked really clean.

We decided it was also a good idea to use new rubber o-rings and copper washers when I put it all back together.  

Today I put it all back together with a bit of oil on the o-rings for easier installation.  

In all it took about an hour or so.  1 injector didn't want to seat properly and leaked when I first started the car, but I went over it again and gave it an extra push to get it in its home ran the car to temp without leaks.  

Next is to make a cold air pipe that will run from the air cleaner to under the bumper.  

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
9/10/21 4:38 p.m.

The 924 has needed some love for a while.  It is a fantastic car to drive, but it is starting to show its age.  The window seals are old , cracking and just look bad.  So I replaced them.  The original side window squeegee rubber was NLA but I bought some from a 1985 944.  The fit well, just no chrome at the bottom of the door.  It fit really well and snug.  Even puts enough pressure that it keeps the window in the track.  I was constantly taking the door apart and putting it back in.

I also decided it was time to address the battery.  It was always flopping around and causing the car to cutout in high g corners.  I pulled out the light tin put there by the previous owner.

Cut out a new piece from real metal, with tin snips. Not a nice or easy thing to do, but I got it done.

And this is what the flimsy tin was covering up.

I just need to put it in with some rivets and paint cover.  Probably make a quick blocker as a safety measure to keep the battery securely positioned. 

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
9/11/21 2:10 p.m.

Today I put in the patch in the battery tray.  For someone with the proper tools and is using what he has available I came out plnot too shabby.

Then a bit of rubberized undercoating to clean it up a bit.  I'll add one more coat if undercoating in a few hours.

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
9/18/21 3:29 p.m.

Not sure why it took me so long, but I had a friend send me pictures of what a stock 924 battery tray looked like.  My car was giving me fits in hard corners when in the track.  Turns out I was missing the rear battery clamp!

So out came the Tin Snips, metal and drill to make the part I was missing.  it is definitely challenging when you are missing things like a vice or metal bender you use what you have.  The consisted of my stairs, an old batrer clamp, neighbors vice, vice grips, and a hammer.  Here is what i came up with.

So  know I just need to get the batter in and put another bolt and nut I  the front, maybe with a rubber grommet to keep it from moving around it will be solid and not move when the car is on the track.

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m58vnTPXVX8qyosG3LyYYvaqSWCs6TNLk64YmC2rjamcLOjA1YEMdk441bejoZm0