1 2 3 ... 5
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
12/25/12 9:19 a.m.

I just got a little trailer from Harbor Freight, here's my build thread. I'll be turning it into a tent camping trailer. Here's what it looks like now:

I'll be updating this as I go along, so please tell me when and where I'm screwing up.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
12/25/12 9:22 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: so please tell me when and where I'm screwing up.

.... I'll stick with the HAM equipment....

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
12/25/12 9:33 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: I'll be updating this in nearly real-time, so please tell me when and where I'm screwing up.

It's been over an hour and no progress. GET TO WORK!

Tom Suddard
12/25/12 10:20 a.m.

Now this thread is back up to date.

Tom Suddard
12/25/12 10:21 a.m.

This little kit is amazingly well thought out, fwiw. A toddler could assemble it, and it only uses two different sizes of bolt.

I'm taking a break to fry the turkey, hopefully it'll be done by this afternoon.

Tom Suddard
12/25/12 11:10 a.m.

BARNCA
BARNCA Dork
12/25/12 12:22 p.m.

im thinkin of an insert for my 4x8 utility trailer.. got a image in my head. but im not much of an artist. so i think its gonna be build as i go... but rumor is we are gonna get snow this week and i havent got a garage.. so probably springtime..

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
12/25/12 12:33 p.m.

Very cool...excited to see what you do with this!

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/25/12 12:37 p.m.

If you're going to install the fenders, triple-check that there's enough clearance between the tire and the fender. Ask me how I know

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
12/25/12 12:42 p.m.

Have you found the surprise bolt yet?

You know, the one with no threads, or the one with metric thread and an SAE head.

Tom Suddard
12/25/12 12:54 p.m.

Nope, everything went fine. The only thing I have left is wiring, but that'll be a project for another time. Here's how it sits now, though it isn't much different than the last picture.

I'm planning on buying the lumber, brackets, and seals tomorrow. Then it will really get interesting.

Tom Suddard
12/25/12 12:55 p.m.

Oh, and if you hadn't noticed my trailer needs a lift kit, as drop hitches are for quitters. Any ideas? I'm thinking I need to just make some blocks.

dj06482
12/25/12 1:01 p.m.

On the wiring, grind down to a bare metal spot on the frame for the ground.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/25/12 1:11 p.m.

Ive seen the 4x8 turned into a camper but not the smaller one. Do you have a picture or a link to your inspiration?

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
12/25/12 1:17 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote:

What is that car/vehicle thingy in the background? New GRM or CM project car?

Tom Suddard
12/25/12 1:26 p.m.
logdog wrote: Ive seen the 4x8 turned into a camper but not the smaller one. Do you have a picture or a link to your inspiration?

Here's my inspiration. I won't be sleeping in it—I'll be sleeping on it! 8)

Tom Suddard
12/25/12 1:28 p.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: What is that car/vehicle thingy in the background? New GRM or CM project car?

It's our 230s, my dad is doing some rust repair.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
12/25/12 2:08 p.m.

Bigger tires will allow more ground clearance and give you a higher ride height. Of course the fender flares would have to be adjusted.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
12/25/12 2:31 p.m.

Agree with the bigger tires. Do that before you try a lift. What RTT are you getting/have? This project is very relevant to my interests.

Tom Suddard
12/25/12 3:06 p.m.

Bigger tires are a good idea, but I don't really need them (or a lift for that matter) and I'm trying to keep this cheap.

I have a Tepui Tents Ayer, and I love it!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/26/12 7:22 a.m.

+1 for bigger tires, expedition guys run the same size as the truck effectively giving extra spares. May not be worth it for mostly on-road use though, of course more big tires = more gas guzzlage.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
12/26/12 8:53 a.m.

I have that same trailer for hauling junk around.

For the life of me I cannot back it up without a jack knife. Let me know your secret.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
12/26/12 8:55 a.m.

being short coupled like they are makes them extremely hard to back ... but really all it takes is practice ...

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
12/26/12 9:03 a.m.

If you are trying to keep it cheap, and clearance is a non issue then a drop hitch is the right answer. You never know what you might have to tow, so a drop/raise hitch is always good to have around.

Consider a front flip up jack and something for the rear two corners so that you can keep the trailer level when the tow rig isn't attached. It will allow you to level out the trailer in any conditions.

dj06482
12/26/12 9:08 a.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: I have that same trailer for hauling junk around. For the life of me I cannot back it up without a jack knife. Let me know your secret.

These trailers are especially difficult because in addition to the short tongue/coupler they're narrrower than the tow vehicle, so your side mirrors are basically worthless. I have the 1720lb capacity 4X8' HF trailer, and it's very difficult to back. I have some sides on mine, so I can usually just see the top of the trailer over the tailgate of the truck through the rearview mirror.

The good news is that the trailers are light enough that you can decouple, move the trailer, and then hitch it back up. Doesn't work so well when loaded, though

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2cFFjIIaUlQyrETMgXhI44fX9Tg8FJclxT6eWnjwj74wPO2YZO40iseQtarwoOiw