1 2 3 4 5
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
12/31/12 9:07 a.m.

I made some good progress last night; this woodworking stuff isn't too hard at all!

First I test-fitted my base.

Then I set the shelves I'll be using on it to make sure everything would fit- it does! I decided to use these shelves because they're cheaper, simpler, and lighter than wooden ones. The plastic bins are also easy to take out and carry around.

After that, I set the base on a stand and started gluing and screwing.

Almost there....

And the base is finished!

I managed to countersink all of my bolt holes.

And then I bolted it onto the trailer.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/31/12 9:59 a.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: For the life of me I cannot back it up without a jack knife. Let me know your secret.

You should try a hay wagon with turning front axle. If you can back one of THOSE, then a straight tongue trailer will be child's play by comparison.

I cannot do the hay wagon at all, but some can back a train with two of them, even three according to [far from urban] legend.

BARNCA
BARNCA Dork
1/9/13 5:00 p.m.

pichas, thoughts, anecdotes.. updates young grasshopper...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
1/9/13 5:10 p.m.

Have you loaded any weight in those shelves and dealt with them? I swear they're the same ones my kids have and when empty they seem fine. Put any more than 5lbs in them and they suck so hard light can't escape the room.

Enyar
Enyar Reader
1/10/13 8:35 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Have you loaded any weight in those shelves and dealt with them? I swear they're the same ones my kids have and when empty they seem fine. Put any more than 5lbs in them and they suck so hard light can't escape the room.

Amen, I have 2 in my garage and I can't wait to get rid of them.

Tom Suddard
1/16/13 9:25 a.m.

Yes I have, in fact I've finished the trailer and they work great with all my stuff in them! I purposely sandwiched them between everything so they wouldn't be able to deform and fail.

I need to update this thread with more pics....

BARNCA
BARNCA Dork
1/16/13 7:48 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

this gonna be at the track next week?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
1/20/13 2:56 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: I need to update this thread with more pics....

Good thread. I wood like those pics......thanks

Tom Suddard
2/19/13 3:25 p.m.

Okay, it's finally time for an update!

When I left off, I had a floor and some uprights:

Tom Suddard
2/19/13 3:27 p.m.

Next, I did a little bit of a mockup to see where my stuff would go:

Tom Suddard
2/19/13 3:28 p.m.

Then I added a trailer jack from harbor freight:

Tom Suddard
2/19/13 3:31 p.m.

Then I started putting sides on:

And a roof!

I added the mounts for my shelf:

Then screwed it down on top of my drawers.

Tom Suddard
2/19/13 3:34 p.m.

With the basic shell finished, I started building my tailgate.

Finished: The latches are on the inside.

If you're like me, you're probably thinking at this point "darn, that looks awefully tall." Well, I thought the same thing, and decided to cut the roof off and try again.

Tom Suddard
2/19/13 3:36 p.m.

Here's the line from the saw:

The roof being prepped for reassembly:

The new height:

Going back together:

Finished!

Tom Suddard
2/19/13 3:39 p.m.

With the roof done, I could finally build the top half of the back door.

Keeping honest people honest....

And some chains to hold it up as a tailgate:

On the inside, I used more chain to make sure the drawers wouldn't open while going down the road.

Tom Suddard
2/19/13 3:40 p.m.

I don't have a great picture of the next step, but to keep the trailer from falling over when it isn't connected to my truck, I attached 2 screw jacks to the back: I just welded some studs to them, drilled a few holes in the trailer frame, and bolted them on.

Then, I bolted my tent on top and tried it out! I was thrilled, but my girlfriend wasn't willing to spend more than a minute in the tent because the trailer was "too rickety."

I realized she was probably right, so I cut some braces to go in the back corners of the trailer.

These worked like a charm, and now it's super sturdy. We've both slept on top without collapsing it at all!

Tom Suddard
2/19/13 3:43 p.m.

What it looks like (mostly) set up.

Tom Suddard
2/19/13 3:48 p.m.

Here is a picture of its first official camping trip in Gainesville. I ordered a gas strut to hold the back door up, but for now I'm using a piece of 2x2. As far as lighting, I put an LED under-cabinet light in the trailer and it works great.

It tows like a dream, carries all my crap, and doesn't really affect fuel mileage. I lived out of it for 4 days at the Rolex 24 (sorry, no pictures of it) and it was perfect!

Here's what I have left to do:
paint
fix the wiring, as something is shorting out and blowing my brake light fuse
figure out a way to secure the screw jacks better during transport (one split in half going over a bump, and at the moment they are held together by duct tape
add more tongue weight, in the form of a water tank up front
Bigger wheels and tires, a wider axle, and more fender (probably a ways away)

Tom Suddard
2/19/13 3:54 p.m.

And yes, for those of you who live in Gainesville, the o'connell center parking garage makes a great camp site.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
2/19/13 4:14 p.m.

Serious question, can you push it over? Height to width still looks a bit terrifying. If you start jacking up one side when does it start to tip. Any chance of it getting to that angle off road? Clearly not in Florida, but elsewhere?
It does look like fun. I wish I could find a RTT that sleeps 6.

subrew
subrew Reader
2/19/13 4:19 p.m.

This was my 4x4 HF project trailer. Built it in 1997.

Foam core and fiberglass construction, hinged main door supported by hatch struts, and a front hinged door for accessing the air tank. It could hold two sets of 13" race tires, and all the equipment for a long haul event.

Tom Suddard
2/19/13 4:27 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Serious question, can you push it over? Height to width still looks a bit terrifying. If you start jacking up one side when does it start to tip. Any chance of it getting to that angle off road? Clearly not in Florida, but elsewhere? It does look like fun. I wish I could find a RTT that sleeps 6.

No, I can't push it over. It doesn't tip at the limit of articulation from the ball hitch, which is good. Most of the weight is down low, though I agree that it looks terrifying. I'm comfortably taking it down forest roads, but I won't be rock crawling with it. I'm anticipating it will look much more stable after I widen the track with a different axle and wheels/tires.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/19/13 6:04 p.m.

you know bears are taller than that, yes?

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
2/19/13 6:54 p.m.
subrew wrote: This was my 4x4 HF project trailer. Built it in 1997. Foam core and fiberglass construction, hinged main door supported by hatch struts, and a front hinged door for accessing the air tank. It could hold two sets of 13" race tires, and all the equipment for a long haul event.

I like Tom's trailer, but I think you win this round. Especially since a color-matched Yugo is pulling it :)

Tom Suddard
2/19/13 6:56 p.m.

Agreed, but I can sleep in mine. :D

And yes, bears are taller than that. But I'm more concerned about raccoons, opossums, snakes, midgets, etc.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A9S8SUZMvjuXdf4nGRGr7t9Ag2eHibIaaFUAo57WKv9hpFhyWQrxr4A53gygpxaV