1 ... 3 4 5
fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
3/30/15 12:22 p.m.

Oh wow, I totally missed this thread.....Seemed like a good idea too.

What are the chances of doing an autopsy on the wreckage?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/15 12:44 p.m.

Damn.

I hate to see that happen. I'm glad no one was hurt.

Any plans for a Mk II?

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
4/13/15 1:28 p.m.

Holy E36 M3! Really lucky that the damage to your tent wasn't worse and that no one was injured. I felt I had overpaid for my used 4x8 trailer, but it's all welded steel and seems solid. I'm more content with my purchase now.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
4/22/15 9:43 p.m.

A suitable wake was held at Sebring.

It involved wheelchair frogger, spectating from an elevated roofing bin and maybe a hint of Patron

Toyman01
4/22/15 9:57 p.m.

I was thinking about this the other day because I'd like to build a similar trailer. There are a lot of those little trailers running all over the country, hauling tires to autocrosses, that never seem to fail. I'm curious why this one did.

I wonder if the height and tent weight caused the tongue to flex excessively. The tent had a pretty good lever arm to cause flexing. The joint where the tongue attached to the trailer would get a lot of stress and is probably the weakest point. That could explain the metal fatigue and failure.

Was the interstate concrete where it failed? The expansion joints could have introduced a oscillation that compounded the problem.

Toyman01
4/22/15 9:58 p.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

I hope there is video to share with the unwashed masses that weren't able to attend.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
7/16/15 7:11 p.m.

Hah, no video (I don't think any of us were capable of filming at that point).

And yes, good point on the tent. I suspect that's the culprit–but I'm still not too thrilled with the construction.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gLIlzINM9wKZUeAMsmG608TTfogHlmNcXaY0LN1dAdbC6t7jQpTL2gXIwpJJjSTT