1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 42
turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
1/17/12 4:33 p.m.

You should make it right hand drive

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
1/17/12 4:55 p.m.

They made both back then. The green 1932 that was on display in Ginza - the one with the "bustle" rear end and the flat fenders - is left hand drive http://www.earlydatsun.com/datsun11.html

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
1/17/12 5:14 p.m.

But it would make it even cooler if it was RHD

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/18/12 9:46 p.m.

Tonight Dad came over and we mocked up the windshield height. I think I can make it an inch lower (looks more sporty) than the proportionally correct height and still pass a broomstick test. We took some pics of the process, but I am nowhere near a computer so they won't be posted tonight.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/19/12 7:08 p.m.

currently cutting tubing for the windshield uprights

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/20/12 5:14 p.m.

The neighbors just threw out a folding table made of metal.
I haven't decided if it looks more like dash board material or transmission tunnel parts.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
1/20/12 5:35 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: The neighbors just threw out a folding table made of metal. I haven't decided if it looks more like dash board material or transmission tunnel parts.

Hmm. With that top, you could use it for rear body skins and have a woodie! Let's go surfin now, everybody's learnin how..

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
1/20/12 6:03 p.m.

I thought the same thing with that funky wood finish. Too bad welding or bending that metal will kill the woodiness.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/20/12 6:48 p.m.

(The reason I am considering a dash is that I think it might be do-able with the wood grain paint intact.)

friedgreencorrado wrote: Let's go surfin now, everybody's learnin how..

I love it....that pic just got added to my screen saver album.

After scavenging the neighbor's trash, I went back to mocking up the front of the transmission tunnel with poster board. I stopped for supper, and Cypress explained that corned beef is an ideal parrot food

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/20/12 10:03 p.m.

I am glad the neighbors pitched the table. I may end up using it for the transmission tunnel....my pattern is too big to fit any of the pieces of refrigerator metal I was planning to use, but it BARELY fits the table after I hammer everything out flat.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
1/21/12 6:51 a.m.

I swear to god parrots will eat (what isn't poisonous to them) just about anything.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/21/12 9:06 a.m.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/21/12 8:03 p.m.

Added a bit at the front (stainless steel metal from freezer) to hold the shape a little better. Had a lot more trouble with that than expected.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/22/12 10:00 a.m.

I cut and folded some refridgerator metal to use for the lower edge of the transmission tunnel. (I thought about using the side of a microwave oven, but it wasn't long enough...the microwave metal will need to be used elsewhere.) It still needs to be trimmed so that the parts fit together nicely.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/25/12 7:47 p.m.

I welded the tubes for the windshield frame together and clamped it in place. I am not welding it to the chassis yet, though. (This is just a test fitting.) I plan to add angle iron on the interior surface so I have a place to mount the windshield.

I haven't done much vertical welding. The welds will be less ugly if I do them horizontally, so I will add the angle iron now; i.e. before the windshield is fixed in the vertical position.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/29/12 5:00 p.m.

I spent the day messing with the windshield/A-pillar stuff. First stitch welded some angle iron to the inner side of the square tube Then I ground the welds smooth. (Another brave HF angle grinder gave its life for this important cause.) Then I tacked the windshield frame to the chassis tubes. After that I trimmed the cowl sheet metal to improve the fit, then bent flat rod to follow the cowl. After that, I tacked the bits together before calling it quits.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/29/12 7:24 p.m.

This is my fancy bending rig for the flat rod....a C-clamp, hammer, and the leg of my engine hoist.

I bent some additional flat rod to make the curves at the top-of-the-cowl/bottom-of-the-A-pillar.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/2/12 7:56 p.m.

Worked on the car a little bit tonight, but my heart wasn't in it. I bent the last bit of sheet metal for the cover over the transmission tunnel. I also cut and welded in place (from one side) a couple tubes to support the middle of the sheet metal for the "rear seat" area. Busted a band saw blade and didn't feel like putting the new one in, so I called it quits for the night.

I don't like the way the bottom of the windshield frame came out, and expect that I'll be redoing it.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/4/12 2:23 p.m.

trying out seats and steering wheel. Unfortunately, of the seats that I have on hand, the ones that appear to fit the best are also the ones I'm the least enthusiastic about using; i.e. the non-adjustable rear bucket seats from a minivan.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/4/12 4:56 p.m.

I ran out to the junkyard to see if they had some better seats...I may pull some out of a geo tracker on monday. they are only 19 inches across at their widest point.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/4/12 7:52 p.m.

Gertrude Approves

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/5/12 6:16 p.m.

It doesn't make any sense to mount the steering wheel and seat without already having the pedals mounted, so I spent the afternoon messing with my donor. I disassembled the dash of the 810 to get to the bracket that is used to mount the brake pedal and the steering column. It is a stamped metal part, and thus much lighter than anything I could weld up to do the same job. I'll probably use all or part of it in the replica

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/6/12 4:32 a.m.

BTW, I now have lots of datsun 810 (first generation maxima) dash and interior bits to get rid of. Let me know if you run across anybody doing a restoration who needs parts.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/7/12 5:55 p.m.

I went back to the junkyard and pulled the geo tracker seats. $50 for the pair, only 19 inches wide, and in pretty good condition.

I would have preferred tan, but this will have to do...

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
2/7/12 9:12 p.m.

I've read it's possible, if you let it dry long enough..

http://www.ritdye.com/store/

Don't know how Gertrude would feel about it, tho.

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 42

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Rb84lCbltgJBUGooVotVgW2OpinhKoRWjFauASOguomPx6CeG347aIIx13MR69Rl