1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 42
JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/11/19 7:41 p.m.

The real car had a little skirt between the rear fenders. if you look closely, you can see that it had little cut outs on each side for the back end of the leaf springs and frame to stick through.  (I didn't know that when I had the leaf springs from the station wagon shortened to fit into the low-cost style frame.  I would have left the springs longer, if I had known.)

Down the road, the plan is to build fenders and a skirt.  After that, I can move the parking lights to the skirt and remove metal from the bracket that hangs below the license plate.  

I'm not very good at chess, and a lot of this build feels similar; i.e. thinking three steps ahead while still worrying about what I am doing now.  I need to clean things up and make them work right now, while still keeping them changeable/reversible so that I can position the light differently in the future

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/14/19 5:57 p.m.

Ok, the new bracket is now functional; i.e. the rear parking lights and turn signals still work, but they are now held in place with screws, not zip ties.  The dangling wires are gone....all of the wires to run the lights now pass through a gromitted hole in the body. 

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/19/19 1:10 p.m.

The wires are now run properly; i.e. going under the sheet metal of the back deck (where the rear seat would go) and over the gas tank.  I had to drop the gas tank to do it, and now I'm trying to get it back into place, but at least the wires will be nicely routed for inspection. 

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
12/19/19 9:56 p.m.

Nice looking attention to detail on the wiring!

You need to come out and help me on my 90's truck with the 70's engine!!!! But seriously, I ought to good at it - I do I&C work for a living, I just have no focus these days. I keep asking my wife, "will I ever get my brain back"... not sure I really want an answer!

As always, love seeing your progress

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
12/23/19 5:12 p.m.

I had a nasty panel gap - too big to cover with welting - between the cowl and the "frame rail," but added metal to the lower flange to reduce the gap. 

Now the welting fits and covers the gap.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
1/2/20 4:07 p.m.

Now, with welting between the cowl and the frame

​​​​​​

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
1/6/20 11:00 p.m.

I'm trying to figure out how to replicate the look of the bottom of the windshield frame on the datsun type 12.  You can see it well in this video. I'm leaning towards putting a flat decorative panel at the bottom that resembles the base of the original frame.  Here's a first draft of a template showing what that might look like.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
1/15/20 8:52 p.m.

Today Dad and I borrowed a trailer, loaded up our datsun replica, and headed to a truck stop to get her weighed so I'll have the necessary weight slip to show the DMV.  The truck stop scale says she's 2100 lbs.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/20 8:58 p.m.

Awesome 

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
1/15/20 9:09 p.m.
Patrick said:

Awesome 

Thank you.  

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
1/16/20 10:51 a.m.

I passed the DMV inspection, and now have a title

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
1/16/20 11:09 a.m.
JoeyM said:

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/16/20 12:43 p.m.
JoeyM said:

Double awesome!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/20 6:21 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM :

Congratulations!!!

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
1/16/20 7:58 p.m.

Thanks guys!

It definitely feels good to have made it this far, but now I need to find a company who's willing to insure a scratch-built locost-type car.  I just found out that hagerty will do kit cars, but they have an aversion to vehicles where the owner builds both the body and the frame surprise

We'll figure it out, though.... I've been at this too long to give up.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
1/21/20 10:22 a.m.

It's official, I'm street legal! I found insurance, and I got my license plate from the tag agency this morning, put it on the car immediately, and took a spin around the block as a street legal car.

There's still a ton to do before the car looks and handles the way I want it to, but I'm still breathing a huge sigh of relief.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
1/21/20 10:27 a.m.

Congrats, Joey, long time coming!

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/21/20 10:40 a.m.

Congratulations!!

It's a great feeling to drive your creation on the street.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
1/21/20 10:53 a.m.
nocones said:

Congratulations!!

It's a great feeling to drive your creation on the street.

yes it is

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
1/21/20 10:55 a.m.
Hasbro said:

Congrats, Joey, long time coming!

thank you.  I am so relieved 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/21/20 12:27 p.m.

Heck yeah!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/21/20 12:40 p.m.

Wow...this is great. Was kinda worried about where it had gone since the insurance post.

Pete

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/20 2:23 p.m.

nice!

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
1/21/20 3:30 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Wow...this is great. Was kinda worried about where it had gone since the insurance post.

Pete

Thanks for the kind words.  I was worried, too.  

The difficulties started after the DMV staff decided to title the car, but not do so as a "streetrod" even though it meets that legal definition*.  It also meets the "assembled from parts" definition, and that's what they chose to do.  That limits what kind of licence plate I can use, and it makes it a little more difficult to find insurance.  It still allows the car to be on the road, though.

--

* - in FL, to be a "street rod" you must a) resemble a car manufactured prior to 1948, b) have been produced after 1948, c) have a body made of non-original materials.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
1/21/20 3:33 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

nice!

1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 42

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D9Gj7GvAwdRN2Pwuet000FG9WN2zt4v5s2IllosCQy2d343Awaw82QpM1vbZceK2