1 2 3 4
Winston
Winston HalfDork
9/29/15 11:49 a.m.

This thread is great! I love these "light restoration/get stuff working on a cool car" builds.

Wallie
Wallie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/15 7:27 p.m.

In reply to EricM:

Perfect. Can the kid grow the mustache that jacket deserves

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
9/29/15 7:28 p.m.
Wallie wrote: In reply to EricM: Perfect. Can the kid grow the mustache that jacket deserves

If it's a sparse mustache, all the better!

Wallie
Wallie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/15 7:47 p.m.

That's what I'm picturing, early 90s Jeff Gordon "trying to look like a grown up" mustache

EricM
EricM SuperDork
9/30/15 9:43 a.m.

Mustache? um, no. My wife is Norwegian and my son is so white he is nearly clear. He has some facial hair, but non of it is thick, and it is all blond.

Lulz

EricM
EricM SuperDork
9/30/15 10:07 p.m.

We got the stereo in, we are using the hot wire from the cigarette lighter for constant 12v so that memory and presets are maintained.

One speaker does not work, I tried it on both sides in the front. Good news is that 4x6 speakers are cheap to replace. 6x9 in the rear are good and loud.

video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v73qLobXfiY

I spend extra money to get the variable LEDs and what does he do? Sets it to red.... I could have gotten one that was just red. oh well, he said he is prolly gunna use the variable colors when he drives around, but for now he likes the red that matches the interior.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/1/15 6:06 p.m.

The sad thino about stereo placement in a C3 is how far you have to reach from driving position to operate it. And small buttons don't help. C3 ergonomics mock me.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
10/1/15 7:13 p.m.
vwcorvette wrote: The sad thino about stereo placement in a C3 is how far you have to reach from driving position to operate it. And small buttons don't help. C3 ergonomics mock me.

the stereo we have gotten has a remote control, so that is nice. Also, my son mostly plugs his Android phone into it, and the android phone has hand gestures.

I haven't had trouble reaching the stereo in the drivers seat, but I an 6'1.5" tall so maybe my arms are just the right length.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
10/2/15 11:37 a.m.

OK, one speaker in the front just does not work. We pulled it and monkey'd around with it.

So, audiophiles, I am need of a 4x6 speaker that isn't pure crap, but also isn't a ton of money.

I have already looked at the OEM replacement speakers at autozone and am not interested in those.

So, someone please inspire me.

Thanks.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
10/2/15 11:45 a.m.

Have you checked with Crutchfield?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
10/2/15 1:42 p.m.

infinity reference. im running the 4x6 in the front of my mazda, and 6.5 in the kicks of the elky. fantastic speakers for usually about 60 a pair.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
10/3/15 12:20 p.m.

I appologize to the world. I ended up at walmart. We got these Sony 4x6 speakers for $37. They are the answer to the question no one asked, "Who wants 4 way tiny speakers?" Well, I guess we do. They sound good, but going from beat up, sun bleached, cracked, only one of them working speakers I would expect new ones to sound better.

We had to use the bass boost and bump it up a bit to compensate for the amount of treble they put out, but we were able to find a good balance. They also project much better than the old ones so we used the fade to push a little more sound to the rear speakers.

The old speakers: [URL=http://s371.photobucket.com/user/43577/media/cars/454F99D6-BE0B-4417-9A2E-DF93EA3EA598_zpsgldd6lnf.jpg.html][/URL]

The new speakers: [URL=http://s371.photobucket.com/user/43577/media/cars/6288CC38-D368-44DC-AF96-36236F94C007_zpsut2c9bu2.jpg.html][/URL]

In the dash: [URL=http://s371.photobucket.com/user/43577/media/cars/05DB1408-C697-4779-B588-8FC6E893C7BD_zps6znmiu5y.jpg.html][/URL]

The box because why not? [URL=http://s371.photobucket.com/user/43577/media/cars/8DE3EE30-8312-4A66-977F-297BA477CF83_zpsthblsxl8.jpg.html][/URL]

EricM
EricM SuperDork
10/17/15 2:40 p.m.

Paint

At some point the car was resprayed with Classic White. Well they didn't tape off the door tumblers and that is why the door latches were so sticky. How do I know? I sprayed them with carb cleaner and all the white paint pealed off of them.

I can use the manual door lock on the passenger side and use the key to lock and unlock the door. I still can't lock or unlock the drivers side. I will pull the door pannel off and hose it down again and hit it with some tri-flow.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
10/27/15 9:33 a.m.

Time for new belts, as the old ones are at least from 2006. Good news though, the previous owner used Gates:

I have ordered new Gates belts that will be in on Wednesday.

When I pick them up I will also get a new 160 Degree thermostat and gasket, when the engine runs we get coolant on top of the intake manifold, so I will get a new gasket and some Kawasaki Gasket sealant for the thermostat.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/27/15 10:00 a.m.

that stereo is the most advanced thing on that car! Looks like fun.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
10/29/15 8:38 a.m.

Can I replace the thermostat without draining the coolant? I honestly don't know and the Internet videos are confusing me.

Thanks.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
10/29/15 8:56 a.m.

Your going to lose coolant out of the top atleast.if you dont want too empty the system just pull the upper hose with a drain pan under it. The neat way is to drain it all.

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
10/29/15 9:19 a.m.
EricM wrote: Can I replace the thermostat without draining the coolant? I honestly don't know and the Internet videos are confusing me. Thanks.

what has saved me many times when unhooking coolant lines are a pair of THESE, they clamp the hose so you will only lose a small amount.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
10/29/15 1:25 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0x3sKy1nF0

After the video I just cleaned up the bolt area and snugged it down. that seems to have taken care of it.

Oil changed and new filter. Topped off all fluids. We let it idle in the driveway for about 15 minutes and checked for leaks. The engine is pretty clean except for that tiny little oil drip due to the rear main seal. My suburban 5.7L motor has the exact same drip...

Maybe one day we will drop the oil pan and put a new seal in there....

EricM
EricM SuperDork
10/29/15 1:42 p.m.

by the way, this is by far the easiest car I have ever worked on.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
11/1/15 2:05 p.m.

Both door locks now work. The key only works on the passenger side, the tumbler on the driver side is nor the same.

We pulled the door panels.

Then we cleaned it up with carb cleaner and hosed it down with grease

To get the locks to work we disconnected them from the frozen power lock solenoid.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
11/1/15 2:26 p.m.

We also greased the tracks for the Windows, though not perfect they do go up and down with less fuss.

GeddesB
GeddesB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/1/15 2:34 p.m.

EricM, trying to decide if your are a genius or sinister. You bought your teenage son a car with no backseat. Excellent car and a fun one to both work on and drive. Dont ever let him sell it, as we all remember the car we wished we'd kept. Have fun with it!!

EricM
EricM SuperDork
11/1/15 4:02 p.m.

In reply to GeddesB:

He has already said he is keeping it forever. I have my concerns as to how long it will actually last

EricM
EricM SuperDork
3/12/16 10:15 a.m.

sold it's a long story, beginning with my son being expelled from school. that's all the details i am willing to give.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5B1eO0lSvPQI9zAFP0qsDekqS6UwkPdNdFurbcK37SKz7YlTILzjUIC1PNeFaOva