1 2
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
4/7/13 4:42 p.m.

So this is my next victim. It is currently in transit from the west coast to the east coast.

Not sure which direction to take it, but it does come with a full coil over setup uninstalled, and some Mooneyes fender mirrors.

What do you think?

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
4/7/13 4:52 p.m.

Get it low, get some not stretched tires on it, and rock it as is. that thing is AWESOME.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
4/7/13 4:56 p.m.

Are the tires stretched now?

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/7/13 5:00 p.m.

Super cool! Old school Japanese roadtripper

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
4/7/13 5:08 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: Are the tires stretched now?

From what I can see in some of the shots, they appear to be mildly stretched. Nothing ridiculous, but if you look at the sidewalls, they appear to narrow as they go from rim lip to tread blocks... if that makes any sense. I just think everything looks better with fat meats on it.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/7/13 6:13 p.m.

I dig it!

VinnyGT19
VinnyGT19 New Reader
4/7/13 8:48 p.m.

Awesome... is that one a 5 speed? I looked into these a short while ago and was shocked at how little they weigh compared to other sedans of the same era (even imports). I love the front grille, it's like a Jag XJ6 with some vintage Japanese flava.

One of those with a Supra drivetrain that somehow retains A/C would be a dream oldschool DD for me...

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
4/8/13 6:44 a.m.

Automatic unfortunately. I love the grille as well.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
4/18/13 10:16 p.m.

Car arrived today. Drove it home about an hour, and it seemed to run fine if maybe a bit on teh warm side. Only say that because while the gauge was only in the middle when I stopped to get my boys some dinner I popped the hood to have a look, and it sounded like the radiator was bubbling, and some smoke came out of the engine bay when I opened the hood. Other than that and the radio not working it was a nice first ride. I was impressed with the build quality of the car so far, and also the smoothness of the ride for a 70's car.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
4/19/13 8:09 a.m.

I love that car. You got an awesome one.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
4/19/13 8:18 a.m.

That would so look right beside my Corona MkII

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
4/19/13 6:31 p.m.

Added this to the car last night. What do you think, yeah or nay? Proper spot for it?

Would I be a total DB if I wanted to put yellow or blue tint on the headlights? Probably, but I think it may look cool.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/19/13 8:11 p.m.

Looks fine but I say leave the headlights alone

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
4/20/13 8:08 p.m.

The temp gauge seems to run right in the middle where i think it should, but I have noticed gurgling noise coming from the radiator after I parked it at home earlier today. The radiator felt hot to the touch, but it probably should I guess after a drive. Any ideas?

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
4/20/13 8:16 p.m.

Possible air in the system? inadequate coolant boiling on you?

Rufledt
Rufledt Dork
4/20/13 9:01 p.m.

Awesome! But, where's the rotary?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
4/24/13 3:52 p.m.

So the stereo in the car is a Toyota unit from a much more modern era, but it doesn't quite work correctly. It is just sort of shoe-horned into the dash, and fits mostly, but with its condition I want to replace it. I have a spare Sony detachable face stereo with a remote cd changer as well that came with the 77 Corolla I bought back in February. My question is how do I make this large hole fit this rather small stereo unit?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/24/13 9:36 p.m.

Crutchfield for all of your car stereo needs.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
4/26/13 12:00 a.m.

Man. You never cease to come into some AWESOME stuff. I've always had a soft spot for Cressidas. Think of how few of them of this vintage are in our area too!!!

Further-stretched tires would be nice, but really, the only thing it needs is to go lower. The wheels already look perfect on it.

Boy, is that a sweet car!!!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
4/26/13 6:07 a.m.

Thanks, Chris

Good news is the car came with a complete or what looks to be complete coil over setup with new springs to lower the car. No rear springs though as the seller didn't know quite what to get for it yet. I am not sure what is involved in doing this, but I am sure I won't have time for it until maybe the fall. Heck my REPU is still on jack stands awaiting its new suspension bits. I need to get busy on that.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
4/26/13 8:54 p.m.

I love something about that car. I can't put it in words, but something is just "Right" about the way the design has aged.

Please look into alternate tire/wheel combo because that is letting the awesomeness down somehow. Just my opinion.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
4/27/13 1:30 a.m.

I agree on the tires, now that I have seen them in person but I actually like the wheels a lot.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
4/28/13 1:18 a.m.

Totally awesome.

Looks like an Tokyo Police Inspector's car from the 70's. All it needs is a little red light on the roof.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
4/28/13 2:04 p.m.

I thought about plasti-dipping the doors white with a red gum-ball light on the roof, and make it a Godzilla Defense Force car like I saw someone do many years ago with an old 4-door RX-2.

I think it had a Godzilla Defense Force logo on the door with the motto being "Unsuccessfully defending Tokyo since 1954". I thought it was pretty clever, and thought my Cressy looked like it could/should be an old Japanese police car.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
4/28/13 9:10 p.m.

Can't believe I missed this . . . Love me some ole school Toyotas. . .

Your Cressida is awesome!!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tx9o17fGlnhBWrDJMLi1EFkj5Wp69lRHpBWGq4KVhXe4xzFIkUOSsfJB6PgXgYyl