1 2
gamby
gamby UltimaDork
4/28/13 9:45 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: I agree on the tires, now that I have seen them in person but I actually like the wheels a lot.

The wheels are period correct and very appropriate for the car. Are they Enkeis?

I dunno about making a goofy paintjob for it, as it looks really nice and understated now--downright dignified. Plus, think of how few of them are in New England. But hey--it's your car.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
4/28/13 9:55 p.m.

I was only half joking about the paint. The car needs paint in a bad way. The pics show it in a great light, but the paint is rough. Wheels are new Rota Shakotans. Not sure they are period correct, but I like them, and new wheels are not in the budget anyway.

The suspension is super softly sprung. Rides really smooth, and is quiet as a mouse. Air pump is the loudest part of the engine it seems. It is still being driven by the belt, but is not hooked to anything so it makes some noise.

Chris

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/20/13 9:13 a.m.

So I took the Cressy for a ride yesterday. We were headed out to little Rhody for a picnic, and half way there the temp gauge seemed to be much higher than usual, and I was worried about it. We turned around, and made it home without it getting any hotter. We jumped in the Suburban and off we went.

Got home later, and checked the coolant level which was a bit low, but nothing major. I put my cooling system pressure tester on it, and pumped it up to 12 psi. Left it overnight, and 14 hours later it was sitting at 11 psi. No puddles, and to be quite honest I don't know that losing 1 psi over that amount of time is even a problem. Maybe it is, what do you guys think? No milky oil, and no oil in the coolant. Exhaust doesn't smell or look odd. I have tightened up all the hose clamps. Any ideas?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/20/13 12:27 p.m.

Partially plugged radiator? Water pump missing some vanes?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/20/13 2:07 p.m.

Water pump is new. Not sure on the radiator. I think I may take out and have it cleaned/looked at.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
5/20/13 3:52 p.m.

Fins missing on the radiator?

That happened to my Corolla wagon along time ago. I couldn't figure out my over heat problem until I found it.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
5/20/13 6:12 p.m.

Here it is at Patriot Field

photo 2013-05-16_20-00-50_545_zps3c0c1d5b.jpg

corytate
corytate SuperDork
5/20/13 10:37 p.m.

came with a 4m, shouldn't a 7m-gte just about drop right in?=]

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
5/20/13 11:16 p.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

Wow. I've heard that it's a brave move to bring a Japanese car to Gillette. I didn't think the domestic crowd was all that welcoming here.

BTW--regarding the rough paint--I'll gladly give a shot at resurrecting it a bit. Depends if it's just dull or if it's a cracked, peeled mess. We could try wetsanding it...

I'm game.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/26/13 5:51 p.m.

Drove a few miles today to my in-laws house. Forgot to pay attention to the temp gauge on the way there, but on the way home it was running even hotter than it did the other day. Almost to the H mark on the gauge. I decided to turn on the heat to help it cool off, and while it did drop a little I had no heat at all in the car. It is very cool today (high 40's maybe low 50's F), so I have no idea why it is running even hotter than last Sunday. The hose leading into or out of the heater core has a diaphragm and a wire on it that I think is part of the automatic climate control. It also has a vacuum hose on it as well. Could a malfunction with this be the reason for no heat? I mean with the engine as hot as it was showing on the gauge we should have been sweating in the cabin. Any ideas?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/27/13 7:12 p.m.

I noticed the coolant is low again. Could it be that I have a bunch of air in the system, that has to be worked out still? Could that be why no heat came out yesterday?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
5/27/13 7:17 p.m.

Sounds like it. Just fill the system, take the cap off and let it run. It definitely sounds like a bubble in the system, could be why its running hot too.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
5/27/13 8:12 p.m.

Could it be why it runs hot only some of the time, and just fine other times?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
5/27/13 8:34 p.m.

Could be. Depends where the bubble ends up.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vwFB7Xp6ThkFwrvbsK9Grpy8sFb9bTqFuUjTn4nxvGWlBgnurRhzBcTHSHKH3KE0