1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15
Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/15 8:30 p.m.

Hey! 5-days without a post! I really must be getting close

Anyhoo, "major milestone day" at the Hungary House. Today marks the 1000 mile head-retorque, oil change, and valve adjust day! (insert streamers, party poppers, and balloons here)

Pics or it didn't exist right?

There were two intake valves that were a little looser than I'd have liked so I snugged them down. Ever since then this little beast has been as quiet as a... well as quiet as a 22r with an oversized flowmaster I guess. Either way, that annoying ticking has died down to almost silent (that makes me happy)

I also found my old book of CD's in one of our unpacked moving boxes so that probably helped with the ticking sound some. Interesting fact: One of my missing CD's from this old book was found still in the CD player (name of CD withheld to protect the innocent).

Good times

Hungary Bill
7/30/15 8:31 p.m.

Oh, and if you're doing a job at work that involves white paint.

and you have some left over.

and your co-workers have a sense of humor.

Keep them away from your truck

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
7/30/15 10:28 p.m.

Now you need a white camper shell.

Hungary Bill
8/4/15 7:29 p.m.

Wally, this one's for you sir

Artifact found: CB Radio

I saw this little badboy sitting on a shelf at a house salvage yard called "Earthwise Salvage" (our house is old, so we buy old house stuff there pretty cheap)

Anyhoo it didn't have a price on it and the very pretty hippy girl at the counter told me to make an offer. I said "$10 bucks?" and she said "SURE!"

It's a Tram D42. Made in Japan. It looks like it has great reviews on the interwebz, but whether or not it works has yet to be seen. It's also a little "large"... I'm really wondering where I'm going to install this little beast.

Glove box?

Hungary Bill
8/4/15 9:52 p.m.

(singing) Where oh where is the CB gonna go?

Not in the den... This thing sticks out further than my kids bottom lip when he's in trouble.

Hungary Bill
8/4/15 9:52 p.m.

Not in the glove box...

And not on the under side of the glove box door either (passenger leg-room issues)

Hungary Bill
8/4/15 9:54 p.m.

Not installed in place of the center vents...

It turns out it's pretty tight behind those vents. Given another 2-inches and I'd have had it. (I was really hoping it'd fit here)

Hungary Bill
8/4/15 9:54 p.m.

Hmmmm. That kind of leaves us with...

Which begs the question:

Do I REALLY need a glove box?

Hungary Bill
8/4/15 9:55 p.m.

We'll stop there for the day

Kenny_McCormic
8/4/15 10:10 p.m.

What's stopping you from getting it deeper into the radio hole?

Hungary Bill
8/4/15 10:23 p.m.

It bumps up against the heater box and floor vents.

I briefly tossed around the idea of just getting rid of the floor vents, but those things are gold when my feet are frozen

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/4/15 10:29 p.m.

Hang it from the ceiling?

Hungary Bill
8/4/15 10:35 p.m.

Thought about that as well, but didn't like the execution.

I was also tossing around the idea of behind the seat in the center... But ran into issues with seeing what channel I'd be on plus I think the mounting holes would go through to the outside...

Doors and on either side of the center console were a "no-go" as it cuts too much into legroom...

For a truck designed in the 80's, this thing is poorly suited to 80's large CB radios

Kenny_McCormic
8/4/15 11:36 p.m.

Oh, it's actually hitting the heater box in the pic? That thing is huge. Still, if you don't have clearance issues with it in 1-3-5 (and don't forget to account for the antenna hookup) I don't see the problem with it hanging out down there. Won't look as bad with the radio face plate on.

I just can't see losing the glovebox storage, especially in a truck, even if it is in exchange for a bitchin' CB.

Hungary Bill
8/4/15 11:58 p.m.

I don't mean to get all distracted (more than I am by playing with a CB when I'm supposed to be working on a carburetor, I mean)

But a Tundra 4.7l just popped up on craigslist's barter section...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bar/5141699911.html

Craigslist said: Complete with starter injectors coils. good compression Engine ran good when pulled but has low oil pressure and a slight knock. Will need a crank kit and oil pump.

Hungary Bill
8/5/15 12:09 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I just can't see losing the glovebox storage, especially in a truck, even if it is in exchange for a bitchin' CB.

All because I found two holes in my heater control panel from a CB fork ...

Yeah, I'm having a hard time actually convincing myself I want to pull the trigger on this one... Maybe I'll put it to the side and get back to what I'm supposed to be doing

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/15 6:18 a.m.

Back in the day, it was not uncommon to find these things mounted vertically on the passenger side of a center console or just screwed to the side of the driveshaft tunnel.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/5/15 7:07 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

Or vertically (pointed at the driver) in front of the passenger seat.

Of course... IMHO, if you really need to have a CB, ditch the vintage unit and get one that fits under the radio... but that's just me... I keep registration and stuff in the glove box... Drives me nuts the Spitfire doesn't have the OE parcel shelves...

The Tundra engine is interesting, but take measurements before committing. One reason the SBC fits so well is it's a compact OHV V8. OHC V8's are rarely compact... Plus, companies used to make adapters to fit the Toyota 5 spd/transfer case to the SBC. I don't believe the Tundra V8 was ever sold with a manual transmission. Even if the engine fits, you'll then have to source and fit a Tundra trans/transfer case set-up.

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
8/5/15 1:23 p.m.

There's an adaptor plate out there to use the Supra W58 behind the Tundra 4.7.

I'm not helping, am I.

Hungary Bill
8/5/15 3:42 p.m.
ValuePack wrote: There's an adaptor plate out there to use the Supra W58 behind the Tundra 4.7. I'm not helping, am I.

No. But please continue

I don't really NEED the CB, I was in an impulsive mood and $10 was too good to pass.

Maybe I'll try to barter for something smaller on craigslist or something.

Good times

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
8/5/15 6:04 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill:

Can't say as I know a lot about it, but...

Linky

Looks like 5 bills for an adaptor plate and throwout bearing, I'd think there's others available. 1uz conversion flywheels are out there, off the shelf 3sgte Mr2 clutch kit can be used. I glean that anywhere a 1uz goes, the Tundra 2uz can go. Not sure how to rig up 80s Toyota speedo drive off the W series, but the swap has been done a bunch, some sloppy Googling(man, that's fun to say) should reveal the easy way out.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/6/15 8:40 a.m.
Ian F wrote: The Tundra engine is interesting, but take measurements before committing. One reason the SBC fits so well is it's a compact OHV V8. OHC V8's are rarely compact... Plus, companies used to make adapters to fit the Toyota 5 spd/transfer case to the SBC. I don't believe the Tundra V8 was ever sold with a manual transmission. Even if the engine fits, you'll then have to source and fit a Tundra trans/transfer case set-up.

Those things are MASSIVE when it comes down to V8 size. I had a SC400 Parts shell in the yard for awhile and we briefly considered putting an old Chrysler 383 and 4 speed in it for the challenge. Got to measuring and the amount of space left over after dropping the engine, trans, headers in there was mind blowing. The mounts would have been like arms/logs sticking out into space to hold it up. Heck we considered a motor plate just make it easier, but a 300* cam and solid mounted engine just sounded like a old coin operated vibrating bed to me.

java230
java230 New Reader
8/6/15 10:34 a.m.

Just read the whole thread. This thing is awesome, makes me miss my 85 PU. Oh except the carb thing, I don't get along with them well.... And I have never met a 22r/re that doesn't tick

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
8/6/15 7:23 p.m.

I'm about a week out from having my vinyl cutter in front of me again and I still want to cut something for this truck. Time to fire up your imagination.....

Hungary Bill
8/8/15 3:56 p.m.

Hey, the horn doesn't work! I know this because I almost got smeared by someone running a red light (perpendicular to me at the intersection).

I'll have to fix that on my next junk yard run

In reply to mazdeuce:

Man, I'm trying to think of a cool design theme for the truck (that also wouldn't be too taxing on you or the postal system) but it turns out I am AWFUL as such things! If anyone has ideas (aside from the "Pizza Planet" already suggested I'm open to ideas )

If "Pizza Planet" wins I could snag some yellow spray paint. the black undercoat would make a good base to do a crappy overspray to give the desired effect.

On a side note, the Toyota's striking back.

• The power steering pump has been intermittently making noise. Fluid level is good.

• Brake fluid needed topping up recently. Looks like a wheel cylinder is leaking (Driver's side rear). Re-seal kit purchased for $5

• Both passenger side tires were low on Friday. Aired them back up, but they're on the monitor list now too.

There was something else, but I can't remember what it is now... Ah well. I'm due to change shifts soon so I should have a bit of time before work to tinker

Oh, one idea I had (but not sure how to pull it off) was to divide up the truck into cuts of steak. Something like this:

Except with "flank, etc." written in the appropriate locations. I figured since it was black it'd be an easy adaptation.

All the vintage Hilux images I come across are more desert themed (which would involve re-spraying, but that may be an option too)

Good times.

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sSMz9xTXkQQnVV8eLpST2EMsN2BKTmgtCGJQa40EQ0pVZLTLD15hKbNyzmN1L7mf