preach
preach GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/25/20 5:13 p.m.

Gentlemen I give you 4722903079 saved from a sunken pit in Maine today for $50.

I have been a part of a 24hr of Lemons team for a while and we were going to run a '98 VW Beetle. We just put brakes on the Beetle and tore out the interior but, fortunately, we stopped there.

One of my co-drivers found this 914 up in his home town and asked if I wanted to buy it for parts. His Dad used to race ovals with the guy that had it. I said sure and off we went to go get it.

Ends up it is in so much better shape than I was led to believe that we scrapped the Beetle though and decided to run this.

I get fog lights, FG grills, all the bright work trim, a really really good interior, and possibly the FI if we cannot get it to run and we put my carb set up on it. Probably more. I am not a fan of Rivieras.

Plans are Lemons racing, drag racing, land speed racing, generally any type of race you want to challenge us to. We may not win but we will have fun doing it.

Both of us have less than reasonable neighbors so we got it to my house and put a 50/50 paint job on it. Looks great from 50' at 50mph.

This will be pure fun and the test bed for my supercharged T4 idea.

Tomorrow we will check the oil out and rotate the engine. We think it's been sitting for about 12 years.

How about some pics:

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/25/20 5:18 p.m.

I love 914.

Will be watching!

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/25/20 6:10 p.m.

That paint doesn't look like the same car!

preach
5/25/20 7:22 p.m.
chandler said:

That paint doesn't look like the same car!

1 coat of brushed/rolled rustoleum. Camo vs the wife and neighbors. more coats coming and some modded racing stripes from some pinky out drink racing. We hit the dump on our way home and someone must have been cleaning their place up. 1.5 cans of blue, 3/4 can of red, white, and black. total score!

preach
5/25/20 8:36 p.m.

2/4ths of the team. I'm on the left, but my man is trying to beat the class land speed record with a Crosley. Been trying to get him here for a bit and posted his Datsun pics in the recent Datsun thread. His 1969 Datsun 2000 is crazy, sports a 3.0 six from a 300z(x) that he wants to put a merc SC on. We just dropped the 2000's hood off for some aero cowl-induction since he was lifting the front at about 120.

I will suit up and run the 914 or both next Loring trip.

preach
5/28/20 5:43 p.m.

Almost done with the ripout of the un-needed items and getting a look at what we need to fix.

Original bias ply spare!

Hell hole, if you know 914s, is not great.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dBgyKZqPmQAoA4aET1LwRWHYrdGenRhaRZ2MiDyOeFN2GAYPwZKAkwvVZ3Wao0H0