1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 ... 76
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/30/21 12:57 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Went ahead and ordered them. You just use them like a scraper or just how do you use the? Always down to try to use new cheap tools

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/30/21 6:18 p.m.

Yup, you just drag the tool across the sharp edge.  If you're right-handed you just pull the blade toward you.  The tool will rotate and follow the part edge.  Super easy and leave a nice finished edge.

The one caveat, it wouldn't work on an outside radius.  I usually still use a file for those.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/30/21 6:32 p.m.
TVR Scott said:

Yup, you just drag the tool across the sharp edge.  If you're right-handed you just pull the blade toward you.  The tool will rotate and follow the part edge.  Super easy and leave a nice finished edge.

The one caveat, it wouldn't work on an outside radius.  I usually still use a file for those.

Also, if the "ball" on the end comes off from pulling too hard, they stab your hand wickedly.  So, not too much force.  More like a tubing cutter.  Just do a lot of repetitions with marginal pressure.

Dusterbd13-michael
1/9/22 11:11 a.m.

cams will be here Wednesday. 

Plans to get it in next weekend as i have a three day weekend. May not be running, but IN. 

Assuming my hands and arms will let me. Hae an ortho appointment Thursday. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/22 11:59 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

If you're talking about carpal tunnel issues, as soon as you recover you'll curse yourself for waiting so long to get them fixed. It really is life-changing.

Dusterbd13-michael
1/9/22 12:19 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Don't know if its carpal tunnel or something else. Goes from my two middle fingers up the inside of my forearm to my elbow hurting so bad it makes me cry. If i turn ratchets too long or run a grinder, I'll be lucky to hold a coffee cup for the next few days. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
1/10/22 1:55 a.m.

Ulner nerve feeds the pinky and pinky half of ring finger, carpal tunnel nerve is the other half of ring finger to the thumb.  If stretching your hand backwards feels better it Carpal Tunnel.  If it's your ulner nerve get one of those tennis elbow things and velcro to your forearm.

Dusterbd13-michael
1/10/22 6:16 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Thats way more helpful than anything ive found on my own or been topd my family. 

I ASSUMED tennis elbow was in the elbow, not what ive been struggling with (well, part of it. Dont think tbe tennis elbow goed the whole way to knuckle, does it?)

Regardless, i ordered a brace from Amazon targeted at tennis elbow. We'll see what happens! 

And my cams will be here Thursday. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
1/10/22 11:39 p.m.

I've had bilateral carpal tunnel release and 2 back surgeries, I was also a framer who swung a 28 Oz framing hammer 10 hours a day for 3 years so I'm somewhat of an internet expert

Dusterbd13-michael
1/12/22 1:07 p.m.

Let the games begin!

Hopefully get the 2.4 in over the three day weekend. Maybe not running, but in. Have enlisted the help of brother Dustin due to my hands and arm. I think I need to reseal the trans while its out as well, as its seeping between the case halves. 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/13/22 4:37 p.m.

crower stage 2 cams in hand!

Coolant drained, nitrous lines drained, ac apparently let all the freon out. 

I may just flex out my berkeleyload of extra hours tomorrow and start early. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/13/22 6:00 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

crower stage 2 cams in hand!

Coolant drained, nitrous lines drained, ac apparently let all the freon out. 

I may just flex out my berkeleyload of extra hours tomorrow and start early. 

I love your passion and getting this E36 M3 done.

Good work. 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/13/22 6:03 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Thanks!

Once something gets in my head, ive got to get it done and out of my head. 

I blew this car up six months ago. Ive been piddling with it for the last few, porting the head and building the windage tray. But, its in my head now. Gots to get done. And done well. Especially since my daughter still wants to do nitrous testing for a science fair project with me and it. Spring is coming. 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/14/22 12:31 p.m.

Out of work for the weekend. 

Time to go to dads, get the engine and cherry picker and get going. 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/14/22 3:04 p.m.

Helicoil to the rescue. Cam cap bolt stripped. Than God i had some of the right size in the drawer. 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/14/22 4:31 p.m.

i hate timing belts. Im never sure i got it right....

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
1/14/22 4:54 p.m.

I once forgot to tighten the tensioner on one of my old SOHC Neons. The belt slapped the inside of the cover like crazy when it was running, but somehow it never broke. I got lucky. Judging by the picture, yours looks pretty good. Those cam gear marks almost never line up 100%. 

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/14/22 4:59 p.m.

I missed the whole windage tray build page somehow. Looks like you will be the first one to test it out. surprise

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/22 6:41 p.m.

That belt looks pretty good to me too.  I totally get the concern - I'm the same way when I'm doing the same job.  I'm always pretty sure I'm doing something wrong.

Dusterbd13-michael
1/14/22 6:44 p.m.

quitting for the night. Hands hurt too bad to do more. 

Time for tea, allieve, a shower, and my book.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/14/22 6:59 p.m.

I hear Blue Emu is the Over the Counter unguent all us crippled bastidges have been praying for (this is as of yet unconfirmed by me).

Always love the builds....

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/22 7:02 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Lil Stampie was asking at lunch if you would get a performance benefit from the 2.4 engine.  Can you explain in simple words for us Mopar challenged people?

Dusterbd13-michael
1/14/22 7:18 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Short answer; it damn well better!

Long answer: 

Challenge budget essentially beutral for the swap. The 2.4 was traded for all the scrap engines and neon shells from steve. The 2.4 is bigger than the 2.0, amd is generally worth about 15-20 ftlbs lower in the rev range, similar horsepower to the stock dohc engine. 

With the porting, higher compression from milling, and bigger cams i believe ill be about 40horse up on tje 2.0 i killed. We are hoping for 190whp, but expect around 170-180

Dusterbd13-michael
1/15/22 9:37 a.m.

Header, power steering lines, and two motor mount bolts from in the floor. 

I forgot how big this job is. I REALLY hope i don't have to do it again. Ever.

Justjim75
Justjim75 SuperDork
1/15/22 10:52 a.m.

Did you get the tennis elbow strap thing yet?

1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 ... 76

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SoRCCgKPQz5IjDZrCAz0Tbsi2vKIOtSMVXOxRbmVyEv6KjlGvxxodrT5wFTDrvHp