1 ... 73 74 75 76
Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
4/7/22 1:43 p.m.

Well Michael, it looks like you have a Ist place in XSB locked up for Sat. and Sun.  I see no other entrants, and reg. closes today!  First place and DFL  at the same time ... whoo whoo!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/9/22 4:01 p.m.

Day one of two day event done.

I met a fellow grm-er in grid.m, but didn't catch his name. Hopefully he chimes in,  as he admitted to actually liking the build!

Regardless, i struggled today. Just couldn't get it together. Car very much oversteer-ey, which led to spins on almost every run. Tire pressure 32 front, 32 rear, konis on full soft. 

Way off pace. 

One spin from 60mph brought me to within 18ft of a light pole. All i could thi k about was "one of two."

Hopefully tomorrow goes better. Still had fun though!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/22 4:31 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I always have to think about this but disconnect the front swaybar to get more traction in the rear?

Dusterbd13-michael
4/9/22 4:37 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

A smaller rear bar, maybe koni adjustment or tire pressure...

Im not sure. It understeer last evnt, oversteer this. I almost feel like its all me, not the car

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/9/22 4:59 p.m.

A bit less tire pressure in the back might give a little more grip.  Easy to try.

Stu Lasswell
Stu Lasswell Reader
4/9/22 5:34 p.m.

It was a cold day out there, and that made for less grip overall. Then again, last month was about the same, so the same set-up (tire pressure-wise) should have been good.  Now. I really LIKED this course, or at least the Triumph did.  All sweepy S-curves, not too technical. Had fun!  We'll see how it looks tomorrow, as the course should be basically the same, run in reverse (so not the same at all, really)!

Dusterbd13-michael
4/9/22 5:42 p.m.

In reply to Stu Lasswell :

I know! Fast course, and a FUN course. My only changes from last month were the shock settings.  So it shouldn't have been a hige difference....

Going to see what tomorrow brings 

Dusterbd13-michael
4/10/22 5:31 p.m.

So, we wound up at 24psi front, 26 rear. Konis full soft. 

Car is a riot. Chris and i put a dozen back to back runs on it, and it barely skipped a beat. Axle nut backed off because some moron didn't put cotter keys back in, and a cone took off the air filter. 

But, 12 second improvement from first to last today. Chris, who'd never driven a neon before today, was able to yank a 61.xxx out of it, only .3 ahead of stu in his incredibly sorted and known tr3. 

The thing is way qucker and more capable than i thought. I had a great time. Weather and fellowship were perfect. 

Im also mostly over the fear of tbe rarity. Fact is, car isnt flawless. Car wasn't meant to be a bring a trailer car when i restored it, and i don't believe it would bring me enough money to not regret selling it at this point in time. Last year? Yep. Gone. Didn't do much for me being underpowered the way it was. Fell out of love.  But the love is definitely back. Its almost guaranteed a stay of execution until at least after the challenge. 

I will enjoy it, and treat it well, but i WILL drive it how i intended it to be driven.

java230
java230 PowerDork
4/10/22 8:08 p.m.

Sounds like the car is perfectly fulfilling its purpose! 

java230 said:

Sounds like the car is perfectly fulfilling its purpose! 

Exactly.  Enjoy the fruit of your labor.

Dusterbd13-michael
4/14/22 6:31 a.m.

https://youtu.be/vcikfg9b0IE

Christian is working on uploading our runs, but heres his fastest from sunday. 

Figured y'all would enjoy the ride along  

Stampie
4/14/22 7:16 a.m.

That looks like fun and a hand full.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/14/22 10:12 a.m.

You'll like the RS-4's a lot more in the heat of the summer when you can get some more heat in them and keep it there through the day. Car looks like a lot of fun, I'm looking forward to our season starting here.

Dusterbd13-michael
4/19/22 1:17 p.m.

Its in the magazine!!!!

Stampie
4/19/22 1:58 p.m.

Now it's worth $200,000!

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/how-much-will-this-classic-mot/193349/page1/

Dusterbd13-michael
4/19/22 2:25 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Giggity. $2000 challenge to $200000 on BAT? yes please 

Dusterbd13-michael
9/18/22 9:53 a.m.

So, update time. 

I debated selling the car for a while. For whatever reason I drug my feet long enough that it seems the market has dropped. It no longer makes fiscal sense to sell it at this point in time. I have begun to Source stock parts that I do not already own to return it to completely original. The 2.4 swap has been Flawless and really made the car a pleasure to drive. I did get the opportunity yesterday to compare it to a 2006 Mini Cooper Works Edition with the supercharger and everything. Then neon has more soul but it's definitely slower. Due to Cone scuffs and body damage I will no longer be Auto Crossing this car, however it will still be used as a pleasure car on fun car Fridays and cruise nights and such. I also gave up on the flow fit seats and went with a stock set of squigglies. The car just keeps being awesome.

Racingsnake
Racingsnake Reader
9/18/22 3:25 p.m.

Why return it to stock if the 2.4l swap has made it so good?

Dusterbd13-michael
9/18/22 3:30 p.m.

In reply to Racingsnake :

Not so much doing it as being able to. This is one of two confirmed remaining lapis blue acr coupes of the 35 made in 1997. 

Returned to stock would also get me the best money when I sell to a collector in the future 

759NRNG
759NRNG UberDork
9/18/22 3:37 p.m.

Are the mods you made that much of a turnoff to "collector".....me thinks this would be a Sweet deal 

Gambit
Gambit Reader
9/18/22 8:47 p.m.

BaT is always a little iffy with the mods.. from what I can gather it's a matter of many buyers not wanting hackjobs which is entirely understandable for an investment vehicle.. I'd be interested to see a comparison of stock sale versus modified sale with the same vehicle but that's not really something that's possible 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/17/22 10:00 p.m.

So, time to update. Why? Because four active projects seems like a great fiscal idea!

With the challenge being in may, and the recoup and trade rules being changed, its either now or never for this car going to the challenge. 

To that end i drove it to Charlotte for dinner today.

Ran great, except the battery is dying. Took a few jumps to get through the day. No shame, as it is a 2016 date code lowest level walmart that came in one of the parts cars. It doesn't owe me anything. 

So, challenge prep: finish seat changeover. Finish and test nitrous. Touch up nicks and chips, polish again, and ceramicoat. Soak rs4 is softening compound. Flush brake fluid, oil change, fresh battery. Remove cat converter that isn't in budget. Find some annoying rattles. Nut and bolt check, and send it. 

Really, it could honestly be ready mechanically in a weekend. Cosmetic in a couple more. 

The documentation will be a hurdle though. 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
12/20/22 8:16 p.m.

You owe it this for sure .....do it

Dusterbd13-michael
12/22/22 11:13 a.m.
759NRNG said:

You owe it this for sure .....do it

I am. Game on.

And after the challenge i will move it and every extra part on my property on to a new home.  I just don't have the time and space and mental bandwidth for everything I have going on. Time to simplify. 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
12/22/22 9:03 p.m.

Who here on GRM would embrace this and  respect it for what it truly is ?

1 ... 73 74 75 76

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3inWqLNFNX0S7UAFc0hq1V9Y47sASZlHIum9qXQWrYfsl0ESde5dEeyKJb7LorPm