Shiny!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/23/18 7:46 p.m.

That looks fast. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/23/18 8:11 p.m.

Got to order a new intake. This one has corroded through the rear coolant ports and the gasket isn’t going to seal. It was pretty nasty. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/23/18 8:17 p.m.

Also the center bolt valve covers won’t seal on these heads. Looks like the old perimeter bolt ones will though so they are sitting in the parts washer. I’ll scuff then up and paint them black. 

I was test fitting the new accessory brackets to make sure everything lines up.  I’m going to order the summit stage 3 (knock off rpm air gap) intake in the morning. Hit the p/s pulley and crank with a new coat of black paint as well. So much work to do. Still have to power wash the engine bay and paint and plumb and wire the new fuel pump and regulator. I need 4 day weekends and 30 hours in a day lately. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/24/18 10:09 a.m.

The new bracket setup. Much cleaner and less broken. Should I yank that alt pulley and paint it black as well? Or is that just over the top?

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/24/18 10:35 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

no, blue... that would be over-the-top.  black or gold would be "part of a theme".  ymmv

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/24/18 11:06 a.m.

Fave photo from the cam challenge. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/24/18 11:12 a.m.

Ok this isn’t bad either. I think I needs more cambers though.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
9/24/18 12:38 p.m.

More camber would be good. Looks like body bushing may be needed soon, seeing the gap change between the bumper and the grille.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/24/18 12:52 p.m.

In reply to 81cpcamaro :

They are new. The cab mounts were atrocious. 

EDIT: I didn't change the front ones under the core support though. Those were the only ones I didn't get IIRC. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/28/18 11:40 a.m.

Ok the flames like this aren’t so bad. 

sleepyhead
9/28/18 12:25 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

they'd be even more awesome if you taped them off and sthot them with matte black for a black on black flame job

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/28/18 12:32 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

that's waaaaaay too much work. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/28/18 3:15 p.m.

Kept the wire loom separators chrome. I think it’s a nice touch. 3 coats of black to finish it off. While working. Whoops. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/30/18 5:05 p.m.

So tired right now. 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/30/18 6:28 p.m.

All the air filter!

mazdeuce - Seth
9/30/18 7:06 p.m.

I'm no motor expert guy person, but that looks like the hard part of installation is done. Couple bolts, couple belts, and you're driving!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/1/18 2:00 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

And the fuel pump and some wiring and insulating the fuel line and a starter and and and..... so much done but it feels like so much more to do. 

sleepyhead
10/1/18 2:43 a.m.

90% done, 75% to go?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/1/18 4:52 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Flip the numbers and that’s how I feel. I know it’s not that bad it just feels like a lot. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/1/18 7:29 a.m.

Ok some photos of this weekend. 

Freshly painted and clean. 

Easiest motor mount change ever. 

Wife having fun at my expense. 

Last nights stopping point. I ended up 2 clamps short of completing the fuel system. Header gaskets and p/s cooler on their way. Still need a starter. 

mazdeuce - Seth
10/1/18 7:47 a.m.

Keep kicking ass Bob. No need for a gym membership if you keep doing motor swaps. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/1/18 8:11 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I can definitely feel I'm not 25 anymore. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/7/18 7:31 p.m.

Tire down the old engine this weekend. Found a ton of beating wear, bearing pitting etc that makes it appear the thing was probably run with no air filter in the desert for some time. Pistons were all .060 over sized. Cylinders 3 and 6 you could move the piston in the bore close to a quarter of an inch front to back. Don’t have a caliper handy but I am fairly certain this block is done. Crank and rods all had serious wear. Cam had all of its lobes surprisingly and the cam bearings were decent shape. Timing chain was so stretched it wasn’t even funny how much play there was. 

TLDR: old motor is toast but no one catastrophic failure. Just lists of smaller ones. 

1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 34

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N496NDtjUWhSjvclE4EZrMDPYOGRg19caeQ8Kekx2fwRsQ2UX3y4834PwOon38Ub