1 2
DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
5/29/12 9:17 a.m.

Your helper there would be invaluable for crawling around under the truck. I was reading the VQ30/35 swap thread with these trucks in mind, until the thought of a 7700 RPM engine in a truck stopped me.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
5/29/12 9:42 a.m.

The zetec's bellhousing pattern isn't that different from the lima. Just sayin'.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
5/29/12 10:58 a.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: Your helper there would be invaluable for crawling around under the truck. I was reading the VQ30/35 swap thread with these trucks in mind, until the thought of a 7700 RPM engine in a truck stopped me.

i'm doing an SHO engine in my ranger

slefain
slefain SuperDork
7/23/12 8:57 a.m.

Alright, Tonto got two more hours of my attention last night. Dropped the drive shaft, pulled the shifter, yanked the radiator, drained coolant from the block (using the shop vac, worked pretty good actually), disconnected the speedo cable from the trans, unbolted the trans mount, unbolted the engine mounts, and disconnected power steering pump.

Stuff left to do: disconnected the *($#&^ stuck Ford locking ring metal fuel lines (I really don't want to cut them), disconnect the clutch hydraulic line (not sure how, gotta research), and disconnect exhaust head pipe.

Took a look at the V8 last night. Gotta get it up on a stand and start removing the old Lincoln wiring harness.

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
7/23/12 9:02 a.m.

The spring clip fuel lines, i find like to be pushed in a bit then use the removal tool to pull them apart. For some reason the spring loves to berkeley everything up.

Clutch line, you need the Ford clutch line removal tool, of course! grumble Stupid special tool bullpuckygrumble

slefain
slefain SuperDork
7/23/12 10:09 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: The spring clip fuel lines, i find like to be pushed in a bit then use the removal tool to pull them apart. For some reason the spring loves to berkeley everything up. Clutch line, you need the Ford clutch line removal tool, of course! *grumble* Stupid special tool bullpucky*grumble*

Figures. I need to hit the parts store anyway to get the metal version of the spring clip fuel line tool. At least the clutch line tool looks simple and common.

I keep getting moments of clarity mixed with panic when thinking of wiring up the V8.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
7/23/12 11:01 a.m.
until the thought of a 7700 RPM engine in a truck stopped me.

Wait, that STOPPED you? Is it because you didnt realize the motor ALSO makes more low-rpm torque than the biggest factory ranger v6?

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
7/23/12 11:33 a.m.
slefain wrote: I keep getting moments of clarity mixed with panic when thinking of wiring up the V8.

It isn't that bad. Do you have to keep the emissions crap? Your biggest thing is 180-ing the EEC plug over to the Ranger EEC spot from the original M7/Mustang spot. The Ranger needs/has all the same power and ground you need for the M7 harness.

slefain
slefain SuperDork
7/27/12 12:51 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
slefain wrote: I keep getting moments of clarity mixed with panic when thinking of wiring up the V8.
It isn't that bad. Do you have to keep the emissions crap? Your biggest thing is 180-ing the EEC plug over to the Ranger EEC spot from the original M7/Mustang spot. The Ranger needs/has all the same power and ground you need for the M7 harness.

Yeah, emissions are required, but only a sniffer test. I'd prefer to go Mass Air though, so the Mark VII harness needs to get swapped out.

slefain
slefain SuperDork
11/5/12 3:52 p.m.

So the Friday before SEMA I got this done:

Now to work on this:

The Harbor Freight cherry picker and load leveler worked great. The picker has crazy boom height, and I'll never pull an engine/trans combo without a leveler again.

Need to hammer out the transmission tunnel, remove the A/C, clean up the crossmember, remove the stock motor mounts, clearance the heater box, and start prepping the donor V8.

I may call MPS up in north Georgia to source the 1990-93 Mustang engine harness and computer. Gotta split the 2.3L from the T-5 and get the trans on Craigslist, gotta get some working money.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
11/5/12 5:54 p.m.

Very interesting project. I bought a 2wd Ranger new back in 88 with a 2.0. God that thing loved to rev. Easily get 3rd gear chirp on dry and in the rain, could spin the tires up to like 6k rpm, powershift and keep tires (ok, TIRE) spinning through 4 gears. Roolbacks, dropping the clutch at 6k or so. Thing never broke or quit. One time (stupid kid I was) I went to the mall with my gf, decided to check the oil. Added 4 quarts before I could read the dipstick. Funny how the lifters stopped ticking after that!

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
11/5/12 6:18 p.m.
Vigo wrote:
until the thought of a 7700 RPM engine in a truck stopped me.
Wait, that STOPPED you? Is it because you didnt realize the motor ALSO makes more low-rpm torque than the biggest factory ranger v6?

Not back in May I didn't.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
11/5/12 6:55 p.m.
slefain wrote: Yeah, emissions are required, but only a sniffer test. I'd prefer to go Mass Air though, so the Mark VII harness needs to get swapped out.

Don't know why I didn't see this earlier, but all you have to do is get a MAF plug, some wire, 4 pins that fit the connector, and a MAF EEC to get from SD to MAF. You also have to change a couple of wire positions, but it isn't brain surgery.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
11/5/12 7:25 p.m.
slefain wrote: The Harbor Freight cherry picker and load leveler worked great. The picker has crazy boom height, and I'll never pull an engine/trans combo without a leveler again. Need to hammer out the transmission tunnel, remove the A/C, clean up the crossmember, remove the stock motor mounts, clearance the heater box, and start prepping the donor V8.

Try regular old chain.... It was fun.

I know you probably don't want to send the money, but the radius arm relocation brackets and the universal "no drag" trans crossmember should be must buy's for V8 swaps.

Nice oil slick.

slefain
slefain SuperDork
11/6/12 10:34 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
slefain wrote: The Harbor Freight cherry picker and load leveler worked great. The picker has crazy boom height, and I'll never pull an engine/trans combo without a leveler again. Need to hammer out the transmission tunnel, remove the A/C, clean up the crossmember, remove the stock motor mounts, clearance the heater box, and start prepping the donor V8.
Try regular old chain.... It was fun. I know you probably don't want to send the money, but the radius arm relocation brackets and the universal "no drag" trans crossmember should be must buy's for V8 swaps. Nice oil slick.

I was already thinking about an adjustable crossmember, we used to sell a ton of them when I worked at a Mustang shop.

Hehe, yeah, Exxon would have been proud. Gotta toss some litter on that soon.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zsfQgjSQsXv74FeeDWGoGoHNNOpitKEq8tFMw0lMnEExOaBxSe7MdDBnHFNP11dR