1 2 3
Erich
Erich UltraDork
9/15/17 10:25 p.m.

This popped up on my local Craigslist and I'd been looking for one for a while - a 2006 6MT Accord V6 sedan. I got it for a reasonable price, and it seems to be well-maintained. I'm pretty excited about it already, and wondering if there are any people here familiar with this chassis and engine, and what kind of aftermarket support there is out there.

calteg
calteg Dork
9/16/17 10:19 a.m.

Wow, that's super rare. I've only ever seen one or two

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/16/17 10:21 a.m.

That's clean.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
9/16/17 10:59 a.m.

I knew a guy that had a 2-door one of those. He was a bit of a Honda genius, and, with some creative parts use, was able to have a 3.7(?) liter engine that dynoed almost 350 at the wheels. I'd put him in touch with you, but his bitch berkeleyed with his head, and he killed himself. What a waste of a good car guy!

On edit:  I don't normally refer to women/girls as "bitches".  But this one thought that she needed to "straighten him up" by messing with his already slightly damaged brain, and it backfired worse than she probably thought it would. 

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
9/16/17 2:57 p.m.

You post this thing here. I get curious. Okay V6 manual is cool. I like it. I get it. Then I think more. Man that's really cool, I wonder if I can find one for sale. Just curious. Then I start obsessing about finding one and convince myself I need to have one. It ridiculous. I don't particularly like Honda's. I don't particularly like FWD cars. I really don't like 4 door cars. But I'm infatuated. And the hunt goes on. But I'm stopping it right now. You people are not doing this to me anymore. This is how you've ruined me.

Nice car.

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
9/16/17 4:16 p.m.

Awesome car, and really uncommon these days. My family has had a bazillion of these Accords (not awesome V6/6MT versions, mind you), and they are pretty rock solid...

Congratulations!

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
9/16/17 5:39 p.m.

Man, thats a great car.. I've never seen one in real life. Seeing even a pic of one makes me want to start looking, though. I like the car and the motor even in auto form. 

Erich
Erich UltraDork
9/16/17 7:11 p.m.

I've known about these for about 2 years now, and like I said I've been actively looking for a while. I've only seen one driving around since I've become aware of them. The red V6 emblem and five-spoke wheels are the only giveaways that it's a special car. When I went to look at it, my only thought was "please don't be rusty, please don't be rusty." Most of these cars in the Detroit area are trashed now. Thankfully, the couple that owned this for the last 11 years took pretty good care of it. 

This car is really like a Jekyll and Hyde situation. It's completely docile in lower rev ranges. Below about 4000 RPM, the exhaust note is very subdued, and it behaves like pretty much every manual Honda I've driven - nice logical cockpit with a slick shifter. 

But give it some gas and shift late and it comes alive. No Honda sedan has a right to be this angry. 

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
9/16/17 8:56 p.m.

The red V6 badge was one I didn't even know about.  Talk about little details.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
9/16/17 9:39 p.m.

Love these. Because sleeper. Only made the 6MT for 2 years. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/16/17 10:45 p.m.

Very cool car, and a great chassis to boot.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/17/17 8:39 a.m.

Bastards. (off to Craigslist)

johndej
johndej HalfDork
9/17/17 9:57 a.m.

I'll just leave this here, NMNA

Richmond VA

Erich
Erich UltraDork
9/17/17 10:02 a.m.

In reply to johndej :

Looks very clean for the miles. 

Erich
Erich UltraDork
9/21/17 9:12 a.m.

When it rains, it pours Honda Accords with V6/ manual transmissions? This one would be a great deal at the opening bid. 

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
9/21/17 9:15 a.m.

Stop it you two angry

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/21/17 1:53 p.m.
Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
9/21/17 2:15 p.m.

Awesome!!  I'm probably 6 months or so away from replacing my '13 Elantra coupe.  When I daydream about what to replace it with, the one car I keep coming back to over and over and over is the V6 Accord.  Damn how I wish they'd make the sedan with the 6spd manual, because the coupe...as much as I love it...just isn't practical.  I've got a coupe now, and with the kids, it's a royal PITA.  Why, Honda, why????  You offer the manual in the coupe, why not in the sedan??  Same damn car.  But I digress...  The Accord V6, even with auto, is fast...it'd blow my old FoST out of the water.  Good handling for a family sedan, can be had loaded w/luxury, is unbreakable, gets good mpg, regular unleaded, tons of rear seat and trunk room.  I just can't think of anything else, for the same money that measures up.

Great score!!!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/21/17 2:22 p.m.

Nothing of value to add, but to rub salt into the wounds of those already longing for a 6MT V6 Accord, I can tell you that my wife's 2013, even with the auto, is a very nice drive, and the few times I've stomped the go pedal, it has unleashed a fury that few would suspect could reside within that tame-looking sedan.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/21/17 2:23 p.m.

This is why I want a TL.  Same car, but easier to find with a manual.  Also Brembos, a limited slip, and 25-40 more hp.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
9/21/17 2:45 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Nothing of value to add, but to rub salt into the wounds of those already longing for a 6MT V6 Accord, I can tell you that my wife's 2013, even with the auto, is a very nice drive, and the few times I've stomped the go pedal, it has unleashed a fury that few would suspect could reside within that tame-looking sedan.

Yes, it's the 2013+ generation that I'm looking at.  Want to keep budget under $16-$18k and the V6 Accord slides nicely in that range.  Like you said, stomp on the long thin pedal on the right and it will surprise the E36 M3 out of you.  Just wish it were a manual...

ProDarwin, I was actually pondering this just the other day.  The '13+ TL can be had for about the same $$ as the '13+ Accord.  Which is the one to buy if they're the same money?  The TL is the "upscale" car, but it's also heavier than the Accord...and the loaded Accord still has a ton of luxury things.  The manual TLs sell for a lot more than the autos, so I'd be looking at auto Accord vs. auto TL. 

Erich
Erich UltraDork
9/21/17 4:04 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

The TL is a great car. I was looking at them as well but they seem to retain their value around here very well, especially the Type S. I do think they look a lot more handsome. 

The engine is a 3.2L (or 3.5 in the S) instead of the 3.0 in the Accord and takes premium instead of regular unleaded. That last bit is a decider for me, since premium is a good 70 cents more a gallon lately. 

The TL 3.2 is only 14 hp more than the Accord V6 Manual - and it was slightly slower in magazine tests back in the day -  so to me it's not worth the premium unless you get the Type S.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy New Reader
9/22/17 2:05 p.m.

I'm trying to sell my '08 Accord, manual i4. Also a sedan.

Just in case you wanted a second Accord.

:D

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/24/17 8:10 p.m.

Never even knew about these with the 6MT, and what should pop up on local CL?  You guessed it!

https://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/d/rare-v6-6spd-accord-possible/6303900748.html

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/24/17 8:31 p.m.

Ah, looks like the power rating changed.  TL 3.2 was 270hp, then bumped down to 258 in 2006 due to some change in SAE power ratings.  Yeah, it takes premium which makes it less desirable as a commuter.

I haven't found consistent performance numbers, but both of them are pretty quick.  Wouldn't surprise me if the Accord was slightly quicker in a straight line, but I think the wider wheels, better brakes and limited slip of the TL would make up that difference in any environment with corners.

Either way, both seem to be pretty good cars.  If you are looking for an 6MT accord and having difficulty finding one, consider the TL.  They are a bit more common on CL here.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UWtqdo3uH6GGBhW2ILlMSE0reTPAkLkn8jreX4mAvAxq3M85Oj2zVDGeagW5HWQQ