1 2 3
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/17 12:07 p.m.

I've owned three V6 / automatic Accord sedans and I've long wanted a V6 six speed coupe, but I had forgotten that the V6 six speed sedan existed. Testing my memory here, but I think that you could only get them in LX trim, not EX, is that correct? And were '06-'07 the only years?

Erich
Erich UltraDork
9/25/17 2:00 p.m.

"EX V6" only and 06/07 only. I think Navigation was only option but not sure. Mine also lacks fog lights, but they may have only been dealer-added option.  

I believe that only the manual trans V6 got carbon fiber-look trim but don't quote me on it. 

The coupe got nicer sport front seats and slightly bigger brakes - 11.8" front rotors vs the sedan's 11.1"

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/25/17 2:33 p.m.

^Coupes also got 17x7 vs 16x6.5 in the sedans, right?

Erich
Erich UltraDork
9/25/17 3:41 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

The 6MT V6 sedan got the same 17x7 wheels as the prior Acura CL Type-S. *edit: also the '02-03 TL Type-S. Saw one in traffic after posting this.

I think starting in '06 all V6 accords got 17" wheels. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
9/25/17 7:31 p.m.

Nice find. Mom's v6/auto is still the fastest thing I've ever driven. 

Woody
9/26/17 6:58 a.m.

When I bought my V6 automatic in 2004, I immediately noticed that it had the same horsepower rating as the STi of the same year. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/26/17 9:25 a.m.

300hp?

Erich
Erich UltraDork
9/26/17 9:53 a.m.

First order of business was to add Bluetooth capability.  Thankfully a small company out of Canada - GTA Carkits - makes an easy plug-and-play solution. A few panels removed, some cables run, and my 2006 was brought into the modern audio era. Hands-free calling too, if that's your jam. 

The factory stereo and speakers in this car are MILES better than anything I'm used to. 

Some lingering issues: brakes at all four corners will be addressed and it sounds as though a front caliper is dragging. Either that or a wheel bearing is on its way out. I'm also changing the MTF out along with all other fluids. Probably the biggest issue are the wheels - like most Michigan wheels, these are pitted and corroded to hell, and a couple tires have a slow leak at the bead.

So I might be going wheel shopping too - not sure whether to order some refinished OEM 5-spokes or go aftermarket.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
9/26/17 10:09 a.m.

Just sayin'...

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
9/26/17 10:18 a.m.

These are the Tire Rack house brand wheels on my RS.  They're fairly light and not very expensive, and look great.  I highly recommend them.

Woody
9/26/17 10:20 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

300hp?

When I bought my 2004 WRX in late 2003, the STi was advertised at 271. I was on the fence at the time but I couldn't stand the STi rear wing.

Woody
9/26/17 10:20 a.m.

This car is pretty much all I've been thinking about today.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
9/26/17 10:28 a.m.

In reply to Erich :

There's two for sale local to me 

Search 6MT V6 on KSL

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
9/26/17 10:32 a.m.

Here's a shot of those TR's on my Focus.  They're the Sport Edition P4 models.

Erich
Erich UltraDork
9/26/17 10:36 a.m.

I won't be upsizing from 17s or lowering the car at all, as the Detroit roads tend to encourage fatter sidewalls and more plush suspension. I think the narrow 5-spokes like on jstein 's Focus look great on low profile tires, but I think they would look undersized on my large sedan with wider sidewalls  if that makes sense. 

For 17" wheels I like the wide 5-spokes or maybe the TL Type-S gunmetal 10-spokes. I think the TL Type-S wheels would look good too. Actually bronze might look decent with the burgundy as well. 

Woody
9/26/17 11:22 a.m.

I will be discussing this very car with my wife tonight.

Woody
9/26/17 11:26 a.m.

In reply to Erich :

You have mail.

Erich
Erich UltraDork
9/27/17 7:25 p.m.

I'm almost tempted to go buy a spare engine and trans from this guy locally. 

SlimShady218
SlimShady218 New Reader
10/2/17 8:23 a.m.

I had no idea that I needed one of these.  My daily jaunt up a mountain to and from work would become much more interesting.  I guess I need to add "Search for 6-speed Accord" to the list of things to do while I put off actual work!!!!

Woody
10/4/17 8:21 a.m.

I am now semi-actively looking for one of these cars.

SlimShady218
SlimShady218 New Reader
10/9/17 3:10 p.m.

I got a line on one of these cars and am kicking around going to look at it tomorrow.  What kind of gotcha things should I be looking for?  The one I found is an '07 with 175k.  Timing belt, water pump and clutch are at the top of the list.  CV's?  Anything else I need to be looking close at?  This would be my DD on a trip up and down a mountain everyday.

Erich
Erich UltraDork
10/9/17 9:28 p.m.

I think you've got it. Definitely make sure the gearbox is in good order. Ask what fluid they run in the manual box - the Honda manuals apparently don't like Redline fluids.

Look for rust. A couple of my brake calipers were frozen when I purchased. 

But really there's not much on these that I've seen that's a known issue. 

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
10/10/17 7:37 a.m.

I'm a big fan of FWD V6 manual sedans.  Sporty grocery getters, if you will.  This looks like a great find, great looking car!  Looking forward to seeing how you enjoy it long term!  Maybe you could get the factory wheels refurbished, seeing as they look so nice and are part of what makes this car distinctive from the autos.

Erich
Erich UltraDork
10/10/17 7:43 a.m.

I thought about that, but wasn't sure what the costs on refurbishing are - anybody have experience in that? I'm leaning towards buying a new set of the factory five-spokes - they seem to run about $130 each which isn't a bad deal really. 

SlimShady218
SlimShady218 New Reader
10/11/17 8:15 a.m.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to take a look at the one I found last night.  The hour that it would have taken would have put me right in the heart of traffic, so it wasn't worth the aggravation, especially since the Mrs. was with me.  Hopefully it will still be there in a couple weeks when I roll back through.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iHyrMHqI9hn2P18rcDcncl5Tf5pUqq58bkzvNyFXNgtZa2zVoipI5CKUHd4kOlMs