1 ... 6 7 8 9
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/22 4:32 p.m.

And Patrick just mentioned loctiting a stud in also.  We have plans but I'm done breaking stuff for today.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/22 7:11 p.m.

Or just cut 1/4" off the 2-1/2". Please don't stack washers.

Stampie
6/11/22 7:44 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Looks like Home Depot has a 2.25 bolt.  But you know I'm going to be staring at the oil pressure gauge for a long time so might as well make it sketchy enough.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
6/12/22 9:21 a.m.

If you have room for a stud, that seems like the best bet.  
you could also try running a bottom tap down there in case there's a little more room for threads. 

Stampie
6/12/22 10:59 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

From my measurements the longer bolt will have the same thread engagement as the original one. The part that pulled out was the only engagement it had. That 2 inch bolt now is at the edge of the now deeper threads.

I ordered bolts from Home Depot. One 2.25 and a 5 inch. If the 5 inch is fully threaded I'll decide if I was to make it into a stud or not.

Stampie
6/12/22 6:27 p.m.

Main cap and oil pump back in and torqued to spec. 

No washers were used in the making of that picture. Angry should be proud of me. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/12/22 6:40 p.m.

berkeley yes!!!

Stampie
6/12/22 6:46 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I'm just going to spend the next 50,000 miles waiting for my oil pressure to drop to 0 as the pump falls. 

Dusterbd13-michael
6/12/22 7:10 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Not 50,000. The next 50. After that its fine. And will remain so in my experience. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/13/22 2:31 p.m.

Nice job on the repair Stampie.

Stampie
6/13/22 6:22 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

But wait there's more ...

I wasn't getting the warm fuzzies from the repair. Thinking last night I decided I'd feel better with a stud.  I consulted with Patrick, Angry, and Michael this morning and confirmed my plan. 

Looked online at Fastenal and they had the threaded rod I'd need. Stopped by at lunch today only to discover they are will call only now. Dude was cool and let me in. I think it helped that I told him I had the SKU number for what I wanted. Thanks Fastenal. You guys rock. 

First we did a dry run and after figuring out the best plan we red loctited the stud in. I got a lot more thread engagement and felt much better.

Blue loctited a nut on.

And because what's better than a single nut we double nutted it with more blue loctite. 

I'm still going to watch the oil pressure gauge but I feel a lot better about it. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/13/22 8:07 p.m.

Nothing says virile repair job like double nuts!

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/13/22 9:09 p.m.

He said "Double Nut"

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/22 10:32 p.m.

I see your nuts, stud.

Quick, relatively painless repair.  Would a Nyloc nut on the outer end be more secure?  You don't want to go through this process again.  Nice job. 

And yes, you are a stud, with blued tightened nuts!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/14/22 8:57 a.m.
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) said:

Quick, relatively painless repair.  Would a Nyloc nut on the outer end be more secure?  You don't want to go through this process again.  Nice job. 

Nyloc and oil doesn't really go together.  I think that nylon breaks down in oil, but even without that oil will get in the threads and act as a lubricant which will lessen the grip.

I'd go distorted thread nuts. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/14/22 3:34 p.m.

Plastics nerd alert-nylon is good with engine oil contact.  

Dusterbd13-michael
6/14/22 3:50 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Nyloc and oil doesn't really go together.  I think that nylon breaks down in oil, but even without that oil will get in the threads and act as a lubricant which will lessen the grip.

I told him to go with distorted thread nuts and loctite. Because overkill is the right amount of kill.

Stampie
6/14/22 7:24 p.m.

We tried to get stuff done this evening but mosquitoes and lack of a tie rod fork defeated us. 

Instead all I have is sexy oil pan pictures. 

There's a total of 6 trap drawers. It turns me on. 

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
6/14/22 9:07 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
Mr_Asa said:

I told him to go with distorted thread nuts and loctite. Because overkill is the right amount of kill.

To be paraphrasing , "There is no kill, like over-kill" 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/14/22 9:22 p.m.
Stampie said:

We tried to get stuff done this evening but mosquitoes and lack of a tie rod fork defeated us. 

Instead all I have is sexy oil pan pictures. 

There's a total of 6 trap drawers. It turns me on. 

I feel you on the bloodsuckers.  I powered through, also I was welding so I'm hoping the UV light was berkeleying those little bastards right in the face.

Mr_Asa said:

Gotcha.  At the time I wasn't aware that his nuts were distorted.  And skeeters can be buzzkill pronto.  Stampie,  keep at it, this is all going to work out.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/15/22 9:16 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

I feel you on the bloodsuckers.  I powered through, also I was welding so I'm hoping the UV light was berkeleying those little bastards right in the face.

I've had big miller moths fly right into the arc when I've been welding.  That'll scare the E36 M3 out of ya.  One second you're welding, the next it's barbeque season.

Stampie
6/17/22 6:44 p.m.

I might be a dumbass but I'm not sure yet. 

After picking up Igor we got back to Dug this afternoon.   I separated the driver's side tie rod and that dropped the steering another inch. Should be plenty. 

Slide the front of the pan in with slight difficulty but the rear won't go up. Slide my fat behind around and see that the oil pump pickup is outside the gasket area which means the pickup needs to slide inside the wing?  Lil Stampie points out that there's a door in the way of that?  WTF?

I said berkeley it so I pull the pump, Lil Stampie gives me the old gasket and oil pan to put back on. We need to seal it up at least because we won't be able to get on it for a couple of weeks at least. 

Now out from under the car I see that the oil pump won't fit inside the oil pan.

I ordered the M77 "with Corrected Drive Shaft Length, Great for Shallow Pans". It's on the page as the pan.   I research and the M77 is for BBC but hey corrected driveshaft yo.

Here's the old M55 pump that was on there. It fits nicely. 

Kevko is closed for the weekend. That's ok. I have good whiskey that dyintorace gave me. 

Stampie
6/17/22 6:51 p.m.

Ok look at their website and they advertise their modified M77 as for SBC. Good. My receipt shows that pump. Great. My receipt shows the pickup as for BBC. Not good. Monday. This can wait until Monday. 

1 ... 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wjqq6Vrr1sxNKfkFlUxRERRxpx0dBYKMCH0pSlax4GgvYAlGc08nG8YEZwDuVNkT