1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 68
nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/27/21 9:33 a.m.

I know this is basically the same picture but I'm working on the belcrank pivot.  

Having a pivot I could use let me explore the range of adjustments.  Even with just the nitrogen pressure it is obvious the difference between the softest setting and the firmest.  The range is almost 2X the softest which will take the MR from .7 to 1.4, ride frequency from ~2 to 5hz.  

Hoping to have the front belcranks done tonight or tomorrow.

nocones
5/28/21 4:43 p.m.

So in not physical car news I finally got around to modifying the "final" version of the body based on the chassis dimensions and things I've learned as the car was made.  I made some preliminary drawings of this in the F-Dat Aero discussion thread and then incorporated the feedback I got into this which is mostly what I plan to build.  The livery is a parody on the Hoonigan Tire Slayer Rally Car.   There is an approximately 0% chance that I paint it like this.  I just though it was fun and entertaining, I may make a T-shirt. Though if anyone want's to pay to get it wrapped...  

I've been searching for Subaru liveries and will still plan to do a simple solid color with Stars on the side.  But I do like the almost plaid look stripes from the current GT300.  

I know it seems like all these "excursions" into digital land take time away from the car but they don't actually take that long, and I'm able to keep them rolling during day.  

BarryNorman
BarryNorman Reader
5/29/21 10:22 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

So lets say that when copying your front suspension. One would mount the inerter horizontally across the chassis. Above the MC shocks and connecting to the top hole (current view) in the bell crank. Right?

nocones
5/30/21 10:21 a.m.

In reply to BarryNorman :

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.   I am still planning to put together a post/thread/video about bellcrank design.  But it may be a little while.

nocones
5/30/21 10:35 a.m.

The front belcranks are mostly done far enough that I can put weight on the suspension and bounce it.   

I know it's just math but I always giggle whenever I build a bellcrank suspension and can watch the belcranks rotate and the springs compress.  

I need to add a plate on the outside of the belcrank pivot to put the bolt in double shear then they are done.  

For the pullrods I bored out a 1/2 nut to slide over the 4130 5/8 rod that was tapped for rod ends.  I just badly TIG welded it on to give me something to put a wrench on.  

I need to add up all the costs for the components for the bellcranks and shocks.   I'll put that in the next post after I finish the double shear plates.

BarryNorman
BarryNorman Reader
5/30/21 11:04 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Applying outlawed F1 tech as I understand it, now licenced to Penske. Ties the push rods to control oscillation or some such, the third "shock" in the nose of most F1 cars. (after Senna's McLaren) For after challenge purposes of course.

For the Challenge, could a large nvh dampening device be used a la Renault F1 to dampen the chassis? To avoid  porpoising with stiff suspension\chassis plus aero.

Just throwing out ideas from the peanut gallery.

nocones
6/2/21 1:35 p.m.

Front bellcranks are done and double shear plates added.  I ended up using one of the bolt cup things that are popping up everywhere on the car now.  

+14 hours, current total 232.5

Total cost for the front spring medium is: $60.71

Rod ends: $19.96 (4@4.99 + Free shipping)

Shocks: $30 (2@$15 each from MrJoshua from 2011, GRM express via Greg Voth when I bought the Rotary)

Metal: $10.75

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/2/21 2:06 p.m.

Bolt cup things FTW

Does it aggravate you that with the placement of your double shear support, you can now see the missed opportunity to tie in the LCA tab? That aspect of design and build on-the-fly too often leads me to redoing things.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/21 2:14 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

I usually sit down until those feelings go away. 

nocones
6/2/21 2:17 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

Yes and I'm trying to quit.  I had planned to add some plates on the tops of the bushing tabs to tie them in better.  For that one I will just have it overlap and tie into that new tube.  

It is hard to stop chasing "perfect" on these things.  I know there will be times when redoing is the correct call but it adds so much time I always ask myself if it's necessary or not.  

gumby
6/2/21 2:19 p.m.

Glad I am not alone. It was a similar situation which resulted in the revision of my radiator frame... frown

Just remember it only needs to survive a half-dozen autox runs & at least one pass down the 1/4.

Yeah, I know, we're all trying to build build these cars to have a post-Challenge life, and maybe actually doing a bit of testing before the event might possibly be a good idea... 

nocones
6/3/21 10:33 a.m.

In reply to BarryNorman :

I understand now what you are asking.  It would be interesting to explore all the "banned" technology from F1 or other race series.  Other then active Aero (Sucker car not moveable aero) I believe NASA allows basically anything with 4 wheels to play in Super Super Unlimited Time Trials.  So it would be cool to explore.  

Maybe someday I will put enough HP in this thing to really justify exploring some of those items.  

For now it is only planned to have 1 piece of banned F1 tech on it...

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/3/21 10:38 a.m.

I realize this is a little off-topic, but what are some of the other "banned" technology  from F1 or other race series?

nocones
6/3/21 10:42 a.m.

Worked on steering rack mount and got the drivers side done.  The other one will be the same design and just round instead of square.  

It's stout.  With just the 1 in the rack barely moves.  So the passenger mount should make it permanent. 

+2.5 Hrs, +$2.24

Once the rack mounts are done it's time to move to the back and work on the rear bellcranks..   which means I'm about 14 hours from Roller Day...

nocones
6/3/21 3:16 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

The big ones I'm aware of that would seem to be worth exploring for the amateur are (when permitted):

Mass dampers for hugely Aero cars, Aero loads direct acting on the unsprung weight (hub mounted wings), Sucker cars, Differential braking, hybrid AWD, Aero Tunnels/skirts

And potentially if you where really into spending money, Active suspension.  Modern computers should make managing it easier, but the hydraulics/Pneumatics would still be a bit beyond straightforward.  

BarryNorman
BarryNorman Reader
6/3/21 3:37 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

Off the top of my head. Blown diffuser, DAS, Movable(or very flexible) Aero devices, and sliding skirts.

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
6/6/21 9:00 a.m.

Curious what the $ total is to date.   I know that so much of this is pennies but they tend to add up quickly....

nocones
6/6/21 10:16 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry (FS) :

Current spend is $1304.03 with a $335 recoup so total budget is $969.03.  I'm very hopeful that I have all the metal I need (I should) as current today prices would sink the project.  I mean it still wouldn't be bad overall as a race car but it would push the cost to ~$3000 in todays actual prices. 

I completed the other Steering rack mount (+2 hrs, +$.97).  So now It's on to the rear shocks.  But first I have to clean up the garage and drive to Chicago to pick up a thing.. 

There may be a few weeks of low progress on the Subaru.  I'm acquiring the "next project" (More on this later) which means I have to shuffle the garage around to store it as well as picking up a $200 2002 Outback with the 2.5L that will probably wind up in the LMP360 (Yay +30HP).  I'll need to strip the Outback down and then the Miata as well so my wife and neighbors don't kill me due to all the cars siting around.   

gumby
6/6/21 11:36 a.m.
nocones said:
...But first I have to clean up the garage and drive to Chicago to pick up a thing..
...There may be a few weeks of low progress on the Subaru.  I'm acquiring the "next project" (More on this later)

BDT strikes again!

nocones
6/6/21 7:09 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

It indeed does.  After a brief interlude at Robbie's it's on its way to hang out in my garage until after the 360 is done.  

Bad decisions all around.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
6/6/21 11:54 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

That rear bumper tho....

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/21 7:14 a.m.

Honestly kinda miss that car and the lane museum has a complete one for sale that if things were different with money I would likely buy

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/21 9:50 a.m.

Always happy to enable!

nocones
6/18/21 9:45 a.m.

So after a bit longer then expected hiatus that wasn't as productive as I wanted (0 cars parted) I'm back on the Subaru.  I started work on the rear pullrods.  

To keep the pivots in plane I made a simple jig that locates the shock, belcrank pivot, and Pullrod tabs.  I can adjust the angle until the 3 pivots landed on the chassis/suspension where I wanted. 

I then could tighten the pivot and transfer this to the table.  I will use this to layout the actual bellcrank geometry as well as install the mounts.  

I then was able to weld in 1/2 of the tabs for the shock and Pullrod.  So now you can see the layout of the shocks.  I need to do some triangulation and reinforcement at the chassis.

Doubt of any kind of finish for this this year is creeping in.  I'm hopeful roller day is in the next week and that encourages me.  

1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 68

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KvGW70lI1o7xJ8RbXZpFUzA6jPQsM3RERqtdt0CYi9CvPDLj8Hwp2XiNn5e8ALdj