1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 68
nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/26/21 9:56 a.m.

I have 1 pedal that works (Mostly.   Sort of).  

I still need to mount the pedal itself onto the floor and then actually weld the shaft extension.  Oh also and add a tie back to the top of the vertical tube supporting the MC.   The clutch MC is tonight project then I should be able to get the pedal base locked down.  

I'm going to total all the little pieces of tube to support the MCs together and list the $ for the full mounts.  

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
8/26/21 10:07 a.m.
nocones said:
preach (fs) said:

Bump...

I'm trying!!  I think it looks pretty close so far..  just.. rustier

This may seem a little crazy, but have you considered a thin metal skeleton (for the fender voids) that you can drape fabric over? It turned out pretty good for BMW... 

https://youtu.be/IGf3pzOydd0

nocones
8/28/21 4:40 p.m.

I now have 2 pedals.  Trust me when I say this was a lot of work..  it doesn't look like much, but it took several iterations to settle on a design that seems like it will work, avoids the shocks and steering rack.  I think this will work, and total cost since I re-used so much of the OEM brakes is $1.71.  I still need to add 1 tube to the front that ties the clutch MC back to the shock tabs (Accounted for this tube $$).  

Please forgive the less then stellar weld quality..  it was hot and I was getting frustrated.  Most everything is just kinda tacked and I will clean it up when I finish weld.

I can mostly operate the pedals from the seat.  I will have to wear my racing shoes as the space between the steering shaft and the floor is simply to short for my normal size 13 shoe to pass beneath comfortably.  Obviously that's only an issue if you LFB..  Which I do.  Next mount the actual pedal box inside the footwell then start finish welding the chassis.

I may make myself either really sad or really happy and make a punchlist to be done.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/28/21 5:36 p.m.

Dude that's a crazy pedal setup, and that's from another dude with a crazy pedal setup. Nicely done.

nocones
8/28/21 5:55 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Thanks!  Crazy pedals unite!

What's silly is the design is mostly just the Subaru OEM stuff flipped over.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/28/21 7:44 p.m.

Woof, there is a lot going on there! Good on you to sort that is such a small area

Those are OEM clevises? I may need to add Subaru to the "neat stuff in the junkyard" list

nocones
8/29/21 8:12 a.m.

And then there where 3.  

Gas pedal is mounted.  I modified the OEM pedal by just flipping it over and welding it back on upside down.  The cable will get routed down between the seats.  I still need to extend it.  I have 2 OEM throttle cables and I think they will be long enough seamed in the middle.  

Pedal placement is good.  I'm believe I have enough pedal travel for all the pedals but won't know until the hydraulics are hooked up.  I have a few more mounts to add to the pedals but I should be onto finish welding tomorrow.  

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
8/29/21 11:29 a.m.

Oh goody, the important one!

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
8/29/21 5:32 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

Oh goody, the important one!

There are three ways to interpret that. 
I refer to mine, from left to right, as The Way, The Truth, and The Loud. 

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/30/21 7:45 a.m.
nocones said:

Trust me when I say this was a lot of work..  it doesn't look like much,

Um, no, that looks like a E36 M3 ton of work. 

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
8/30/21 8:15 a.m.

Are you adding a "dead pedal" to the mix?  Creating a way to support your self under driving conditions might come in handy.

Do you have access to a car with bottom hinged peddles?  They are different in terms of how your ankle, foot and knee are required to engage the pedals.  Driving an old VW Bug or early BMW will help you to prep for the difference.  Not hard, but given the lack of space, shoe size and lack of space to correct things after you skin the car, just a heads up.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/21 11:29 a.m.

I was looking at these pics over the weekend on my phone and I'll be honest, I had no idea what was going on. Now on my desktop I actually see what you did there. Awesome. 

nocones
8/31/21 1:52 p.m.

In reply to MuSTANK :

There are many easier options but this one was $Free. 

I have driven several floor pivot vehicles and know they are a little different.  That said in Formula type seating positions the floor hinge seems to work nice.  I am not planning a dead pedal because I will mostly be using the brake as my dead pedal for my left foot. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/31/21 2:24 p.m.

Yeah, I was thinking of saying something like 'this is a TT car, so speed over comfort'... especially with a ~20min session time.  Also, there doesn't look to be a lot of volume for adding one, outside of a 'tab' to index the outside of your foot... and that probably be a hazard to proper foot movement.

nocones
8/31/21 2:33 p.m.

I got the rest of the pedal box mounts in last night.  I added 3 mounts for the brake and used captive nuts for everything.   The front brake mount I just drilled a hole and welded a nut on top.  This one is mostly for stability and stiffness so I was comfortable relying on weld like this.  

Obviously these are mostly just tacked in.  Now onward to finish welding.

nocones
9/2/21 9:17 a.m.

Front subframe triangulation (4x13" @ $2.95) is in.  

Not gonna lie there was a tiny bit of Air welding that occured on the front diagonals..  Fitment was 95% there but to fix it I would of had to remake the tube..  I took the easy way out and welded a few larger gaps. I am shame.  

That completes the stuff I need to do before finish welding.  So that's tonight's objective to do another garage pickup and then get the chassis down for finish welding.  

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/2/21 9:19 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

Wait we're supposed to admit when we 'air weld'? I've got to go back through and make a fair few confessions...

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/21 9:33 a.m.
nocones said:

Not gonna lie there was a tiny bit of Air welding that occured on the front diagonals..  Fitment was 95% there but to fix it I would of had to remake the tube..  I took the easy way out and welded a few larger gaps. I am shame. 

That's the welder's code: When in Doubt, Fillet.

gumby
9/2/21 12:00 p.m.
nocones said:

Air Welding (TM)

Man, you're just building bridges to the finished product!

nocones
9/4/21 6:12 p.m.

Lots done today (6.5 hrs).  

I dealt with the steering shaft node removal by making a plate, adding some tube extensions and welding it all together.  The back is just a 3/4" tube across the plate.  This gives plenty of clearance and should be just as strong.

I then built a front and rear tube clamp so I could make delicious hot Rotisserie Chassis.  

MMMMM  Yummy Chassis.

If you need me I'll be welding for the next like..  10 hrs.

gumby
9/4/21 6:15 p.m.

Who needs sleep anyhow?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
9/4/21 7:55 p.m.

Dude that is F'ing awesome. I'd bring the beer if I was a couple thousand miles closer. I mean, stocky redheads unite, right?

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
9/4/21 9:47 p.m.
gumby said:

Who needs sleep anyhow?

Who even needs a rotisserie?

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
9/5/21 9:43 a.m.

Great work!  You for sure win the "stuffing way more than 10 lbs in a five-pound bag" award!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
9/5/21 10:01 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

That "rotisserie" solution is bloody brilliant. You should have done this a couple of weeks ago before I was flipping my chassis with a chain fall though.....laugh

1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 68

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RdetV7T8gDf7PFQP6gqU78EeM312rZDjSh1ReOtO0U1xUWktia6bLAybyT5ZHjRn