1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 68
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/4/20 9:36 a.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to Stampie :

Because building to NASA or SCCA specs insures a decent life for the car after the Challenge. 

This car will shine in the autocross, not the drags. 100 lbs less roll cage will make it more nimble in the corners. 

Just found this thread, which is incredibly cool.

Since many of the dream builds I still think of also include using the car after the challenge, or just making the extra challenge of meeting the rules of a specific class...  Paul's point is really important.

And I know Nocones is aware of this- noting the car he autocrosses.   I may be wrong, but seeing the layout that is planned, the only class I see this current concept fitting into is AM.  First of all, the aero concept- I could be wrong, but a real wing is not allowed for DM or EM.  Second, the car- I can't find this early Subaru in the rule book so that it could be legal for DM or EM- that could be fixed, but the aero will be an issue.

So on that note, will it work for NASA?  

And how does that conclusion change or alter the cage legality plans?  (if the conclusion is even valid)

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/10/20 8:48 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

It may only be autox legal in AM.  I'm not sure.  Technically it will be a Subaru engined car.  I think I could at least try to argue it should be D/EM legal. (With different Aero)  I'll likely loose but the Jeep technically isn't classed at all either.  In fact the Jeep is specifically banned from autox yet it is permitted in D/Emod.

I believe the cars post challenge home will be NASA ST3/TT3.  It's what the MG is legal for but this one will be a bit more appropriately built for track days.  A bit longer wheelbase, enclosed, etc.  NASA basically is 4 wheels and Fenders and we can play. 

SCCA W2W no idea?  Seems unlikely unless I happened to build something that was accidentally C/DSR legal.  

nocones
1/10/20 8:58 p.m.

In other news I have a new job.  YAY.  This hopefully will give me more time for everything humans need to do when awake that isn't work.  

I'm currently insulating the garage and getting it ready to build.

I also bought all the metal for the car.  I wound up finding 4130 for $6.5/ft.  I ended up getting 1-5/8 0.095.  this is slightly thicker and heavier then the NHRA required 0.083 but NASA requires 1.5" 0.095.  I suspect I would of been able to argue that the extra 1/8" diameter equivalent to the extra 0.012 wall but this way I meet the minimum for sure.  

I could of gotten 1-5/8 0.083 for 4.55/ft but I will carry the extra $120 in the budget.  

I also may be buying another Subaru.  This one's a 2002 WRX with a bad valve.  I likely won't use any of it for the 360 (maybe rims) but it will make removing all the running gear from the GC8 more palatable. 

Looks like my next next project is going to be a 1st Gen WRX replica...

nocones
1/21/20 10:31 a.m.

So I bought the other Subaru yesterday.   

Per challenge rules this is a $750 car.  Needs a #4 exhaust valve.  I have a line on a new head for $100.  I could do a 1st Gen WRX replica challenge car and be into it for $1050 pre recoup combining the WRX with the GC8.  I would think between the two complete cars I would have no issues zeroing out the budget with parts I don't need...   And still wind up with the running gear for the 360.

Now I need to find a 2.5 RS or Impreza Sport for the hood.  It would be cool to get a black interior as well.  

Don't get distracted...  Stick to the plan...

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
1/21/20 7:46 p.m.
Bent-Valve said:

Stumbled across this and though about your build. I am looking for my next build candidate and a friend at work happens to have a junkyard. I have only seen pictures. I can't help but notice the old iron in the background...

I'll find out what they want for it Monday. If I don't use it for my build and you want me to get it let me know. Oh and my ideas are very different about this, I was thinking a motorcycle engined car. Then last night I saw a video of autocross using a stock 360, hairy and scary sort of describe a 25 horse 2 stroke and swing axles trying to corner.

I doubt this or any other car will ever leave this property. Her dad said he would think about it, and her brother is part of it too. Neither has ever sold a car after the wrecker business shutdown. It was the first time he would even "think about it", I guess it will be years before "maybe" comes around.

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
1/22/20 10:16 a.m.

Please only pronounce Subaru like they used to in the original 360 commercials

soo-BAR-ooh

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/20 11:02 a.m.
Bent-Valve said:
Bent-Valve said:

I doubt this or any other car will ever leave this property. Her dad said he would think about it, and her brother is part of it too. Neither has ever sold a car after the wrecker business shutdown. It was the first time he would even "think about it", I guess it will be years before "maybe" comes around.

mmmm, '68 impala longroof...

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
1/25/20 10:32 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Yeah, I know. Dang it.

Edit -- I was hoping that if I got the 360, even if I had to pay a little more, would get my foot in the door for other possible purchases.

nocones
1/25/20 5:12 p.m.

If you find a price for the 360 let me know.  I know where a complete one less engine lives that I bet whenever it sells (if ever) I will get first crack at.

See my other post for my current delima.  

Progress on the 360 should start in 2 weeks.  My garage is half insulated which is the goal first.

With the sale of the VW I got all the money needed to finish this project so I'm in business.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/30/20 1:53 p.m.

What is the end weight goal for this thing? 

Very cool build!

nocones
1/31/20 8:38 a.m.

I'm hopeful at or just below 1500lbs.  We will see.   

Planning to start the build table this weekend so some more progress should be upon us soon.

nocones
3/2/20 12:27 a.m.

Annnd it's March.

I'm not sure how that happened.  My new job has afforded me much more time to work on things but also much more time to play with the kids.  I've been thinking a lot about what to do as time is slipping away and I'm still insulating the garage.  (The garage is pretty big with 2 floors and I am hanging the wall sheeting also).    As much as it hurts to make this decision this early I think the 360 is going to have to wait until next year.   It's a very ambitious project and deserves to be done right.  If i try for this year I will take shortcuts and I don't want to.   I've collected everything I need for the 360 so it will be happening.  It just will be delayed by 6 months or so.  

All is not lost.  This is the year I will attend the challenge.  I'll be bringing the $750 WRX.  Except things are gonna get a bit sawzally up in here first.  I've got a plan for a build that will more easily fit my 6 month timeframe.    It's not radical, but it will be RAD-ical.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/20 5:43 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

This sounds like an awesome plan all the way around. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/2/20 6:46 a.m.

GRM...

Where “sawzall” is both a verb AND an adjective!!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/20 7:04 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

AND a noun 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/2/20 7:06 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I figured that was already a known quantity 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/2/20 7:10 a.m.

I also suspect as a noun, it’s not universal. 

There are many weapons that can be chosen when sawzalling!  devil

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/20 8:58 a.m.

Are you guys saying sawzall is just as universally useful as Berkeley?

Robbie
3/2/20 9:00 a.m.

Also, nocones, if you'd like to join the datsun roadster challenge team from Chicago, just let me know!

nocones
3/2/20 10:14 a.m.

I completely agree that Sawzall is a multiuse word.   Glad my use of it has softened the disapotment of the 360 being delayed.  

I'm excited about the direction this is headed.   Now I just need to decide on low and handling or more of a rally car.  Long term the rally car approach is probably best.   I think I will source rims/tires for the rally approach and try to make any fender mods work with both looks.  For the challenge the lower handling setup is preferred.  

Also of note is that the 2002 WRX has a Payload capacity of 950lbs.  I'm hopeful I can drop 300lbs during the sawzalling.  That would put the legal payload in the range of a 4 door frontier/Tacoma with a 5.5' bed.  

Also 2002 WRX can tow 2000 lbs..  the 360 target weight is 1200-1300lbs.  My trailer is 600lbs..   I mean that's a thing that could happen for GRM 2021..

I will probably create a dedicated Brumpy build thread once I get going and leave this one for the 360.  It will likely get cluttered haveing both going.  I plan to still get the build table going and start disassembling the GC8 and cut up the 360 body to get it and the running gear on the table.  That way I can slowly work on the chassis when I need a thinking break from Brumpy.

nocones
3/2/20 10:15 a.m.
Robbie said:

Also, nocones, if you'd like to join the datsun roadster challenge team from Chicago, just let me know!

I'll definitely consider it.  Where are you located?  Maybe I will be venture up one weekend for some build help.  

Robbie
3/2/20 10:30 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

I'm in a southern suburb called Homewood Flossmoor.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
3/2/20 11:53 a.m.

The way I understand it, NHRA is only concerned with the drivers cocoon the rest of the chassis is open

nocones
3/2/20 7:23 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench :

That's kind of been my read of the rules.  Even with real fast stuff it looks like they just want the driver area to meet their requirements.  The rest seems like whatever works.  Funny Cars and Top Fuel seem to be (understandably) more controlled.

nocones
3/27/20 1:00 a.m.

Wow..  This month..  I mean seriously.  I felt like I had been ignoring this for 2-3 months..  Find out it's been 24 days.

I wasn't going to do a sketchup of the Brumpy for a few reasons, One I didn't feel like spending the time on it was going to just start wrenching and 2 because the WRX in skethup library are all blobeye not bug eye so I had a lot of sketchup work just to make the WRX.

I ended up making one because I've enjoyed the mindless distraction (Sketchup requires that optimum amount of concentration that isn't work but is enough that your mind is engaged), and I decided that I needed to figure out how I was going to handle the rear bumper.  What I decided is I'm going to try to make tubular bumpers of some kind.  I think they match the look well and selling the minty stock bumpers should recoup a fair amount.  The tubular bumpers will cost very little as scrap conduit is everywhere.

I also was going to keep the design under wraps but I thought I would share anyway.  I still have a few ideas under secretland.  Now to just motivate myself to work on car stuff.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 68

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g285pauK0AAwSYRpLrj3dWnEZLc367suCgK2ISmNDIfKQkpaa9J2kK6x0gyYvm28