1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
java230
java230 Dork
11/14/16 10:02 a.m.

Looks great! From the video I think your shock changes will be very worthwhile.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/14/16 6:17 p.m.

This is outstanding work.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/14/16 11:14 p.m.

A fantastic individual took some pictures of the car on course. I am in the black helmet and my codriver was in the multicolored helmet. Thanks Erin/Jason for the pictures!

And this awesome GIF of me clobering a Cone and almost going offcourse

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/15/16 9:34 a.m.

Beaut! Looks like you are cornering pretty darn flat.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/15/16 9:39 a.m.

Looks like you hit the cone - no off course.

Cadensdad14
Cadensdad14 New Reader
1/8/17 11:07 a.m.

I love rotaries in old English cars.

I'm really impressed with the suspension setup. Would you have the spreadsheet you used to set up your roll centers and moment arms? I'm working on something similar and trying to figure out the best details for suspension mounting points.

nocones
1/17/17 10:51 a.m.

I will see if I can find it. It's on one of the old computer files on my newer computer.

I've been slowly doing work on the car. I've got one of the front shocks modified for no preload and have figured out how to do the rears. I will do some pictures as I do the rest as I'm fairly sure no preload is part of what would make the MC shocks more useful to a wider variety of people

759NRNG
759NRNG New Reader
2/27/17 10:18 a.m.

In reply to nocones: Another freekin' awesome build....IMHO your skills put you in the midst of these kats...loose,nohome,maschinenbau,skinnyG,roddymac17. Look forward to your success this upcoming season. Does the midge have name?

nocones
2/27/17 10:42 a.m.

Thanks for the compliment. We have a pretty strong group of builder/fabricators here. I haven't figured out a name for it yet. I was going to come up with one this season. I've unfortunately not done as much as I wanted to this off season. I had hoped to get it more finished looking but it may end up looking like it does at nationals this year.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM New Reader
2/27/17 10:45 a.m.

What an awesome build. Thanks for sharing!

759NRNG
759NRNG New Reader
2/27/17 8:05 p.m.

In reply to nocones: as long as everything is tight and sound....as they say here in Texas let the rough side drag............

nocones
4/23/17 6:44 p.m.

Today was the first event of the year for me. Changes since last year were minimal. I got the preload off the shocks and reset the cornerweights and alignment with the body on. Balance F/R with the body is almost 50/50. The car felt great with the new shock settings. it was much more composed over bumps and seems to transition a bit crisper. Turn in is improved also which is crazy because it was already facerippingly strong. Overall was very pleased with how the package worked today. Results were great with the car logging it's Fist FTD! I was also overall pleased with it's index time given that we had a former National Champ driving a Miata on what seemed to be a Miata friendly course. Compared to people that had been at the events I went to last year it appears that I/the car are getting faster. Next step is Dmod legal Aero. And the best part is it didn't break.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/24/17 6:01 a.m.

That car looks like a blast to drive. Every time you post a video of you driving the car, I am tempted to put the Molvo on the road in primer for its first season.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/24/17 6:58 a.m.

In reply to nocones:

That's awesome & I'm so glad to see you have it back out on course again!

Crackers
Crackers Reader
4/24/17 10:53 a.m.

Wow, so your whole chassis is made from 1" 14ga square tubing?

I must have missed it, but what is your overall weight?

nocones
4/24/17 11:27 a.m.

It is not entirely 14 ga. I would say ~70% of the 1" is 14 ga. The remainder of the 1" is 16ga. All smaller tubes are 16 ga. The roll bar is to NHRA specs. The chassis weldment weighed approximately 280lbs complete when I had it apart for paint. It's heavy by locosts standards but it's also a bit more substantial and has a 2 hoop to floor 8 pt cage.

When I corner weighed the car in the morning before the event it was 1480lbs. My weighing method is suboptimum and subject to overweight. I put the car up on 3" thick blocks. I have 1 scale that is 3.25" tall and move it corner to corner. I haven't done the math to determine how much lighter it is based on that height difference however the scale will read heavy since it is taller.

Crackers
Crackers Reader
4/24/17 7:18 p.m.

That seems pretty impressive to me, but I've never really messed with tube chassis'.

I'll have to start lurking on their forum, as now I'm wondering now how much would have to change for a 2500# chassis.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
4/25/17 8:38 a.m.

"Next step is Dmod legal Aero" are we talking a rear wing? Your flares are legit yes?

nocones
5/26/17 12:32 p.m.

I've registered for the SCCA track day at Autobahn Country club in Joliet on June 9th. It's on the full course. I need to do some prep to make it track legal. The big 2 are hood and windshield. I've mounted the windshield and the hood has been gutted. Rather than put a bulge in it for now I'm just going to run the back 1" high so it clears. I will add the bulge later.
The big thing I need to do now is get Brake lights on which the hardest part will be mounting the switch. Looking forward to lapping the car. I will probably run on the Rivals I have as I'm not sure I want the grip and speed of A7s on the first track day.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
5/26/17 1:23 p.m.

In reply to nocones:

Everything about your car makes me smile. Well done.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/26/17 1:33 p.m.

Lap times versus.....uh whoever

nocones
6/6/17 5:09 p.m.

photo IMG_20170606_170455_zpsjrn1z9mp.jpg

Hey MG you got something stuck on your face. It's over there on the right side.

50 minute drive in the books. No issues. High speed handling is nice. I think it's ready for the trackday Friday.

I have brake lights, headlights, and running lights. I used hand signals for turnsignals because racecar.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
6/6/17 6:42 p.m.

As small of a footprint as that is, the next time you're out terrorizing the neighborhood , drive offensively. I, as a rule of thumb want everyone behind me.... just sayin' Good luck this Friday !!!

Gunchsta
Gunchsta Reader
6/7/17 8:50 a.m.
nocones wrote:  photo IMG_20170606_170455_zpsjrn1z9mp.jpg

I've never seen such a small car look so menacing. Nicely done and good luck at the track day!

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
6/7/17 8:53 a.m.

This car looks SOOOOOOO cool!

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NklZ7FgPuNxfuLAoNyDpIk64b9jBIi9pyzdtOJeBmmiKpFUF0C947U0PEuB0tQlS