1 ... 5 6 7 8 9
nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/16/18 2:07 p.m.

Yeah the two caps is sub par for sure.  I think it's the fact that the caps don't just function as relief valves is the issue.  At work we have lots of systems with high/low relief valves but the pressure Delta may just be to small in this case.

I may gut the cap and just try to make it solid so it can't release any pressure at all.  Or shim it to be even higher pressure.    

Overall though if that's the only issue I'm fine.  I can live with topping it up every now and then.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/18 4:39 p.m.

The front spoiler looks great! (as does the rest of the car)

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/18 7:32 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

FWIW I had no luck trying to shim the 2nd radiator cap on the Vette to make the spring stiffer. YMMV however. 

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
6/16/18 8:31 p.m.

I had 2 radiator caps as well and strange things were happening and I had cooling issues so I welded the radiator cap shut and added an expansion tank high up, and now have no cooling problems even in the 100+ heat of Lincoln.

badwaytolive
badwaytolive Reader
6/18/18 2:24 p.m.

Wow - amazing project!

Congratulations on your success, past, present, and future!

damen

nocones
7/9/18 9:28 a.m.

Had a busy MG weekend.  

Saturday I had a trackday at Grattan.  In preparation for that I did an alignment, bolt check, and corner weight.  I decided to adjust the alignment, reduced toe front an rear and increased rear camber.  I'm not sure if it made much of difference but the car was stable and on center steering effort was better so I say sucess.  The corner weight was interesting because I hadn't really looked at the weight Ballance before.  Empty the car is 48F/52R, with me in it it increased to 45F/55R.  I was not expecting such a rear weight bias but was happy to see it.  

At the track the car ran great for 1.5 hours of track time.  Grattan is amazing and 3ballsracing puts on a good event.   My times steadily improved and by my last session I got down to a 1:30.504.  

Sunday we had our towns annual car show.  I'm not really a car show person but as it's local I drove down parked the car and hung out for a while.  It was really interesting to see the reactions to the car.  Not sure how many I will do but it was a different way to enjoy cars and connect with people.  

After the car show I took my kids around the block in the car.  They thuroughly enjoyed that as did I.  Overall it was a good car weekend.  I need to do it again sometime.

nocones
1/5/19 11:15 p.m.

Nothing has happened with the MG this winter.  I've been too busy working.  That said I'm going to submit myself to UTCC as I have no conflicts that weekend and see what happens.  I've linked this thread as the "show a picture of your car" so I wanted to put the best picture ever taken of this beast on here and I realized I've never linked it before.

All credit goes to the awesome Perry Bennett at Autoxpix.com

If GRM lets me in I PROMISE I will wash the car first so you can't see the hand-prints in the hood dust.  

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/6/19 12:07 a.m.

I would *love* to see something this interesting (and a vintage car) at the UTCC...

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
1/6/19 9:59 a.m.

I love your car soooo much!

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
1/6/19 1:40 p.m.

That is an awesome picture, and I would like to see it run at UTCC.

nocones
4/3/19 11:24 a.m.

Trackday update time.

Ran NCM Motorsports Park in Bowling Green this weekend with NASA Great Lakes.  This track and group are amazing and you want to attend their events.  Top notch.

The car performed well again with no issues or adjustments required.  I am getting a little bit of oil accumulating around the oil pressure sensor that I need to tweek on otherwise no issues from the weekend.  

Had a blast and got down to 2:24 on my best lap that I have video of.  

I played with data overlay using Racechrono and RaceRender 2.  I'm not sure it teaches me anything or if it's that accurate but it's fun anyway.  I don't have an external GPS so some of the data is a bit coarse.  

https://youtu.be/dpqmjoAbfOE

Overall a great experience and it motivates me to want to progress to W2W racing of some kind.  I am seriously considering a LeMons/Champ/WRL build now.

In other news the Car was accepted into the UTCC but as of now I have not been.  I admittedly do not have tons of experience and safety is and should be the number 1 priority so I completely understand the position.  I have a friend that qualifies for driving but at this point I am considering backing out this year, gaining the experience required to drive in the event, and then trying again next year.  I had considered the idea of someone else driving the car and knew it was a possibility when I submitted, but as it gets closer the event is really more about me having that accomplishment of driving myself then just having the car go.  I could run the Track day at hyperfest to run VIR so I may change my mind in the next few days but that's what I'm thinking now.  

nocones
4/4/19 11:14 a.m.

Also an Aero question.

To stay SCCA mod legal any rear aero would need to take the form of a spoiler with some strangish rules.

For track work it could be a wing.  At 50-115 mph how much more or less effective is a large elevated single element wing compared to a typical D/Emod spoiler?  

As the car is underpowered I've also consider a dual element wing with DRS type function for straightaways..  wonder how that would work.  

Looking at W2W and TT classes it looks like the only future for he MG is as a Unlimited TT type car so crazier aero is legal but would make it not legal for SCCA Autox.  I'm willing to work around that if he benefits of an elevated wing are truly huge.  

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/4/19 4:24 p.m.

Are you asking if aero is worth it for TT?   Yes.

You would need to make the front match the back, or vice versa.  DM you are restricted to length of splitter, but you could make a secondary one.  The rear wing it should be easy enough to make a removable wing for the rear. 

nocones
5/6/19 12:41 p.m.

Seatcovers are finished.  And I ran another autox this weekend.  

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
5/6/19 8:50 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

There is a suggested rule change out for member comment that would allow XP aero in DM and EM. If you are in favor of allowing wings in DM and EM, you should write a letter to the SCCA telling them so

meareweird
meareweird New Reader
5/6/19 10:11 p.m.

I love the seat cover material! Great memories of playing on those mats as a kid.

nocones
5/7/19 1:23 p.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

Ooh I will definitely put a letter together.  Id support near A-mod aero rules for D/EM.   I'll look up the proposal and make sure my letter supports it without mudding the waters though.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 New Reader
5/7/19 1:28 p.m.

Just stopped in to say how much I like your car, Excellent! 

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
5/7/19 5:45 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Here is the letter: "Letter: #25925 Category: Modified Class: EM Title: Proposal #23570 Front aero Request: I do not want 2" added to the front splitter because this would increase the likelihood of damage to the car due to cones, bumps or water catching the splitter. I would much rather see DMod and EMod add the XP aero rules so that XPrepared cars can run in EMod. I think this makes sense because it provides a natural progression up the speed chain and potentially allow different drivers to run in XP and EM. There is strong support in the Modified community for using XP aero rules."

nocones
8/24/19 6:03 p.m.

Aaannd I crashed it.

I was going into turn 10 at Putnam Park and pushed a bit wide onto the pit out curb.  The part of the curb by the track is small and gentle.  The part where I was was large and not gentle.  A weld in the suspension bellcrank mount failed resulting in a loss of front left spring so the wheel just tucked up.   I knew trying to keep going on the right hand turn 10 would be a bad idea so I straighted the car out and braked as much as 3 wheels could.  I ran out of real estate at 12 mph per my data log.  It was a very light hit all things considered on the hay bales.   Left front fender took the brunt of it.  I ratchet strapped the suspension back together so I could drive it on the trailer. 

It can be fixed and I don't feel any soreness.  So I'm not sure you can do a better job going off on the outside of turn 10 at Putnam then a bit of fender work.   

I'll get more pics as I dig into to repair over the next few months.  The welds that failed don't look like they were the best so I will likely be doing some preventative extent of condition rewelds.  I'm not sure what 8 year ago me was doing but apparently excellent weld on the bellcrank mount wasnt in the plan.  Unfortunately due to work schedule this probably means the end of the season for me.    I'll keep it updated as I tear into it.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/19 6:11 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Damn, that sucks. Glad you’re ok, and you built it once so there’s no doubt you’ll rebuild it even better. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/24/19 6:41 p.m.

Damnit why didn’t you tell me who you were?!? Sorry about the off, but considering where you were you did good keeping it a light hit. Yours ended up much better than the golf in our run group that broadsided the guard outside 8. 

nocones
8/24/19 6:45 p.m.

I didn't realize you were there.  To be fair my car is fairly recognizable.  

Would if been great to formally meet.  I believe we met briefly at Nationals a few years back when you ran the KIA.  Next time for sure.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/24/19 6:46 p.m.

no worries...

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/24/19 6:47 p.m.

I was helping with tech in the pink shirt. To be fair work laptop doesn’t show photos so I’d never seen it before today because I’m lazy. 

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nSmBCx2skUb9WizOv1wROgdirNLEaqfgfrI4PbnHcoTEGVoErBRNeksyGBzI3O2V