1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 27
Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
3/30/20 8:03 a.m.

In reply to jronald :

I will get you some measurements tonight for sure! Im a inch further forward than normal because of my oil pan. I have been avoiding the fan issues for a while. Need to grow a set and figure it out.

jronald
jronald GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/30/20 11:18 a.m.

Sounds good - Shroud I've been working on is 17x22ish, 1" deep. I went overboard on the single 16" SPAL fan, which has a 4.5" depth, but highest pressure rating. Planning a condensor up front, so was trying to be future proof when I add a classic air system.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/spu-ix-30102803

I was looking at that Canton Racing pan too - shame about the interference issues. I don't think I could make the fan fitment work with an 1" less

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
4/29/20 12:15 p.m.

Angry

Question on brake system. I saw your post on the Bronco and thought it was very inciteful. On Norma I'm running 17 inch tires, 12.88 inch front rotors with 6 piston calipers. Back is 13 inch rotor with 4 piston calipers. I want to put a new dual reservoir master on it but struggling to figure out what wildwood master I should go with. Let me know your thoughts.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/20 1:11 p.m.
Norma66-Brent said:

Angry

Question on brake system. I saw your post on the Bronco and thought it was very inciteful. On Norma I'm running 17 inch tires, 12.88 inch front rotors with 6 piston calipers. Back is 13 inch rotor with 4 piston calipers. I want to put a new dual reservoir master on it but struggling to figure out what wildwood master I should go with. Let me know your thoughts.

without more specifics, i'd start my math with a 27 mm (1-1/16") bore master cylinder, with a total stroke of about 36 mm.  that's probably a typical size.  In fact, IIRC that's what's on the S197 mustang.  S197 uses TRW booster and master, which has the mounting studs on a diagonal, not horizontal, so you'd need the whole booster and master assembly -- which may not package with that big-ass engine of yours!

are you going to use a booster?  You could look to an earlier Mustang for a Hydroboost system but you'd need to tap into the power steering plumbing for the assist.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/4/20 2:56 p.m.

This online dealer in scale models  was mentioned in another recent thread, and I noticed they have a 1:25 scale model of a 1966 Galaxie 500 7 liter for sale:  https://www.mikesdecals.com/amt-1966-ford-galaxie-500-kit-sealed-p-4161.html

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
5/4/20 9:10 p.m.

I need to finish the one build before I start another one! crying

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
5/24/20 10:46 p.m.

Been taking a break from the car. Got my garage insulated, bar built, fruit trees planted and whole house landscaped.

Walked by the galaxie today. All my other projects are done. Time to get Norma going.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
5/28/20 10:17 p.m.

Got the plate made for mounting the coil, ps reservoir and msd box.

Need strip it back down to paint the plate. 

Maybe tomorrow I will tackle radiator fan fitment. That's my biggest hurdle to firing motor. Also need to make cribbing to do belhousing runout measurement's.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
5/30/20 8:25 a.m.

Always up-vote the old Ford muscle posts!   BTT baby!

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
6/16/20 9:33 p.m.

I feel like there is so much misinformation out there when it come to electric fans and cfm. What do you think I realistically need with a 445fe big block that will eventually get Ac? Radiator is a 3 core champion unit.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
6/16/20 10:25 p.m.

I went through this exercise a few summers back.  I started with a single 16" brushless fan (Delta PAG) rated at 2800 CFM and a shallow shroud.  It couldn't handle the job on my mostly stock 351 and temps climbed, albeit slowly, at idle when temps were above 80F.   I then switched to a dual 11" fan and deep shroud from Derale and that kept the temps under control.  The balance of my cooling system was all new-high flow water pump, AL radiator rated to cool 500HP, hoses (with lower hose inner spring) thermostat and diverter (it's a Cleveland thing, you wouldn't care to be bored trying to understand cheeky), heater core, and PWM fan controller.  FiTech EFI can set fan on and off temps but I bypassed that and controller sets on and off temp while continuously adjusting fan speed based on leaving water temp from radiator.   My car had underdrive pulleys for crank and water pump.   I have stocker Ford pulleys but haven't installed them.  Those would increase water flow rate from the pump.  All that said I would suggest 3000 to 3200 cfm at a minimum if all you are seeing is cfm ratings though motor watts may be a better indicator if you can get that data.  Make sure your shroud covers the entire finned area of the radiator core.

jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter)
jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) New Reader
6/17/20 4:34 a.m.

I also went through this recently, and I hear you! When poking around online for my setup, CFM ratings seemed all over the map sometimes. I think what I decided after much time in the rabbit hole reading and learning from others is that it really depends on the whole package, and you have to think of it as a system, with your fan size and CFM being just one part of the equation.

So I think you can take it on faith that your radiator and water pump are up to the job, and I’m sure that most quality fans in the 2000-3000  CFM range (and sized for your rad) are going to work as well. I’d be just as curious to know what kind of shroud you’re thinking of running for example, or how you plan to seal air gaps, etc.

If I remember correctly you’re pretty constrained for space, right? What fan are you planning on, did you mention SPAL earlier or did I pick that up somewhere else?

Edit: If you haven’t settled on a fan, I can't recommend Ford OEM fans enough.  If you’re lucky and the shroud is the right size (and you have 4.5” of depth) this fan is dirt cheap and has served me well. Even if the shroud didn’t fit, I’d hack out the fan and jerry-rig my own shroud.  It’s a very powerful unit.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
6/28/20 10:17 p.m.

The derale fan seems like a good option. Looks like there H.O model is 1300 cfm. Wawazat what is the thickness on yours? Looks like it's under three inches which should get me there. 

This is the good fitting side. Probably 1/4 inch clearance. 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
8/19/20 8:14 p.m.

Been working on a bunch of other stuff besides the galaxie. We had 130+ mile a hour winds here in Iowa last week. We only lost two large trees on our property. This video is from 30 min north of us in Cedar Rapids. 

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
9/11/20 6:28 p.m.

Getting back to the galaxie next month. Space opens up in the garage once my dads boat leaves for the season. With all the storm damage I had some trees go down. Got the wood milled all up. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/11/20 6:43 p.m.

That is BEAUTIFUL rough cut

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/20 6:44 p.m.

Those are some gorgeous planks on the left.  What is it?

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
9/11/20 6:52 p.m.

Black walnut on the left. Red oak on the right. Now I just need it all to dry. And move it all.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/12/20 6:38 a.m.

I made my friend pistol grips out of black walnut, beautiful stuff.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
11/8/20 6:51 p.m.

So I'm getting back to the Galaxie now. Had a friend come over and we made wiring plans and a roadmap to getting it running. Transmission gets ordered tomorrow. It's go time. 

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
11/8/20 7:50 p.m.

Glad to see this one back on page one!

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
11/8/20 8:11 p.m.

Great project.  I love your attention to detail.

Norma66-Brent
Norma66-Brent Reader
11/9/20 3:15 a.m.

So since I got everything quoted with modern driveline tremec has come out with a new transmission. Originally I was planning on a TKO-600. Now they have a new one called a TKX. Smaller profile and built tougher. Be interesting to see if I can go that route. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/20 10:30 a.m.

galaxie go time is best time.

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
11/9/20 2:25 p.m.

still love such a cool build and just wanted to say that walnut is gorgeous.  currently working on a live edge side table made from a nice slab of that.  you'll get lots of buyers i'm sure.

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 27

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v1NzrpF4T6h83uSIgievwsqEH63dYDKA57X121TA9eVh76FAMZ1qrfNIWfXlW9eT