1 2 3 ... 17
Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/4/19 2:22 p.m.

It's a GRM tradition to start the build thread before you pick up the car.  So, in that spirit, I begin this build thread a week before I fly to Florida with my daughter to pick up the Jaaaaaag.

It's a 2001 Jaguar XJR that's been sidelined because the previous owner swerved to miss a Deer, and ran it into some roadside bushing.  Insurance totaled the car due to cosmetic damage, but mechanically is all good.

Teaser pic of car before damage:

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
5/4/19 2:30 p.m.

We were chatting about whether or not there's ever been a Jaguar in competition at the challenge over in this thread.

Most of the way down on page 4, yupididit posted a link to a Jaguar forum where I found  this XJR for sale. 

Here's the text from the seller's ad:

• 2001 XJR For Sale:
  • All of the exterior panels are scratched, a small dent in the left front fender lip, another in the left rear fender top/back. Leaper gone, some damage to the lower front bumper (left turn signal lens) and front valance. No damage to frame or interior.
  • One of the best, if not the best, low mileage, well cared for XJR's available in the US. Always covered and garaged, regularly serviced, adult driven, a well loved classic. 79,000 miles, all options available at the time, including heated seats front and back. No rust, no leaks, rattles or faults. Runs and drives like new.
  • Interior 9.8/10
  • Metallic black with ivory interior
  • Secondary timing chain tensioners upgraded to 3rd gen metal
  • Headliner replaced
  • Electric exhaust cut outs professionally installed - WOW! Best mod I have done to any car, ever!
  • Supercharger oil changed
  • Transmission and power steering fluid changed
  • Cooling system and brake fluid changed
  • Front and rear sway bar and drop link and front top shock bushings replaced
  • Both fuel pumps replaced
  • Supercharger and serpentine belts replaced
  • "RealGuage" temp gauge kit - turns your "idiot light" temp gauge into a real temp gauge with high temp alarm
  • Updated "R" badging
  • The last of "Gonzo's" hood liners with "R" emblem installed
  • VDP tray tables installed, overhead console upgraded to VDP with wood trim
  • Euro tool kit installed in engine bay compartment
  • Custom burled wood "Supercharged" shift knob
  • Custom racing pedals with inset "R" logo in dead pedal
  • Genuine Jaguar umbrella installed in trunk lid
  • Subwoofer speaker foam surround replaced
  • Side leapers changed to functional side markers
  • Antenna kill switch installed
  • New ivory Lloyds plush floor mats in front
  • All original manuals including original instructional CD
  • Bridgestone Turanza tires, about 50% tread remaining.
  • 4 nice Penta wheels with full size Penta spare.
  • New battery installed 3 weeks ago.
Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/4/19 2:32 p.m.

I called, left a message, and he sent the following pics of the cars current state of appearance:

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/4/19 2:38 p.m.

The previous owner Really loved the car and kept up on the maintenance, so hopefully it'll be reliable for me.  Here are a few more pics of the car before the damage:

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/4/19 2:49 p.m.

Subbed for jaaaaaaag

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
5/4/19 3:09 p.m.

Nice, such a good looking car! (Damage aside, obviously cheeky) That’s quite the score.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/4/19 3:17 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

Nice, such a good looking car! (Damage aside, obviously cheeky) That’s quite the score.

Thanks. Getting it for under challenge money. Sooooo, Unless there's a catastrophic mechanical (or personal) failure, it'll be at this years challenge competing for gastropod status, and be the first Jag-you-are to compete.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 New Reader
5/4/19 4:01 p.m.

These are a lot of fun and make a terrific supercharger whine.  Does this have the cool looking brembo calipers?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/4/19 8:33 p.m.

Lmfao I guess I'll just take credit for this one.

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
5/5/19 10:04 a.m.

Fark I love these cars. Excited to see how it treats you!

NoahWeb
NoahWeb New Reader
5/5/19 10:40 a.m.

On the 4.0L V8 engines, a common failure was the nikasil treatment within the cylinders.  Lot of engines were replaced.  If I recall correctly, if the engine was replaced the dealers had to place a green sticker on the passenger side firewall.  

Some additional information - http://jagrepair.com/NikasilEngineBlocks.htm

I would say that the XJR you’re looking at was the last best design Jaguar did.  Muscular looking yet refined.  Good luck!!

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/5/19 1:12 p.m.

Wow, nice buy!

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
5/5/19 2:16 p.m.
NoahWeb said:

On the 4.0L V8 engines, a common failure was the nikasil treatment within the cylinders.  Lot of engines were replaced.  If I recall correctly, if the engine was replaced the dealers had to place a green sticker on the passenger side firewall.  

Some additional information - http://jagrepair.com/NikasilEngineBlocks.htm

I would say that the XJR you’re looking at was the last best design Jaguar did.  Muscular looking yet refined.  Good luck!!

From memory this was a 2000 and earlier issue.  

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/6/19 10:37 a.m.

This in no way, shape or form influenced my decision.  Not. one. single. bit.

yupididit
5/6/19 10:44 a.m.
OjaiM5 said:

These are a lot of fun and make a terrific supercharger whine.  Does this have the cool looking brembo calipers?

I think thats only for the R1 package. The brakes for those are so expensive. I wanted to find a pair because I feel like the XJR could use help in that department from stock. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/8/19 2:26 p.m.

I've had a few more conversations with the seller these past few days and I feel really good about this purchase.  He's a solid car guy, subscriber to Classic MotorSports and I've invited him to Gainesville this October to see the car compete. 

Really getting excited to fly in and pick it up Saturday! yes

yupididit
5/8/19 2:35 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Doesn't he own a Ferarri? 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/8/19 3:30 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Yes.  Yes he does.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/8/19 3:37 p.m.

Any way you can take indy-wife with you? I LOVED her writing style with the travelogue of the bmw purchase.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/8/19 3:41 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Any way you can take indy-wife with you? I LOVED her writing style with the travelogue of the bmw purchase.

Indy-Kid #1 has a plan ticket purchased.  Indy-wife has to stay home and wrestle Indy-kids 2 thru 6.

I'll see if I can pursued Indy-Kid #1 to do some documenting along the way.  Hopefully it'll be a boring, non-eventful ride.

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
5/8/19 5:50 p.m.

If ya'll Need a Set, I have F&R calipers  But no rotors, not cheep UNLESS you read it here. I have A  Buck and a half in them,( That's 1.5 sets of Deer Antlers ) He DID Kill The Damn Deer Didn't He, Wreck My Car Sometins gonna Die.

And ya Kinda go by here on the way home.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
5/8/19 9:01 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to yupididit :

Yes.  Yes he does.

What model?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/9/19 10:25 a.m.
Cotton said:
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to yupididit :

Yes.  Yes he does.

What model?

I didn't ask.  I'll found out Saturday.  And probably pick up some pics of it.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/11/19 4:33 a.m.

At the airport waiting for our flight to depart:

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/11/19 5:07 a.m.

Donuts procured for delivery to Orlando. 

1 2 3 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VloxXFLs1Zb42kilNj9XXYtCOkhVDRGwaf7A1ZNqzQ4sHcerU6rYOqU7p3zCalqF