1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17
Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
10/27/20 6:46 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

One of my favorite memories is you drilling the inner fender of this car before you even handed over the cash to buy it.  Still amazed the dude let you. 

Yeah, that was a good day.  Made possible by your generosity driving some internet stranger half way across the state.  yes

It was oil change time tonight, so here's a pic to remind me of the filter number for next time:

Some time last week, on my way to work, something hit the windshield.  The recent changes in temperature have this crack showing up and growing from that chip. 

Thanks gravel hauling guy angry

Note to self, next oil change due at 101,000

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/6/20 5:11 p.m.

I still find myself peaking over my shoulder to get another glance at the Jaaag. 

It was looking good framed by the sunset tonight.  

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/20 5:46 p.m.

I got a chip in my windshield on my company van a few years ago.  They wouldn't replace it because less than a quarter rule.  One morning it was especially cold for Florida and as I was driving to my first job I watched that little chip spider across the whole windshield.  It was amazing to watch the crack just slowly grow an inch every few seconds.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/20 7:45 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

Welcome to midwest remix hey

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
11/6/20 10:09 p.m.

I had the windshield replaced on my XJR this spring, make sure to get lots of quotes.  One place quoted me $1500 for the wrong windshield (I have a heated windshield with the rain sensor, they could get me one or the other, but not both), another said $1200 but it would take 4 weeks to get the windshield from Europe, a third told me both of their suppliers discontinued windshields for XJs, finally I got a quote for $400 and they could do it 2 days later, and the guy who owned the place used to be a mechanic at a Jaguar dealer.

The weird part is that the crack wasn't because of a chip, a 3" crack just showed up at the base of the windshield, then a day later it was 10", then the next day it split in a y and went right across the windshield.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/7/20 6:50 a.m.

In reply to Schmidlap :

Thanks for the tip yes

I haven't gotten any quotes on the windshield yet.  How can I determine if mine has those options or not (sensor and heated)?

And if I do, can I just go without them?

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/7/20 8:18 a.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

Its British. They probably don't work anyway! cheeky

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/7/20 9:43 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, I get the British wiring "joke", but in all seriousness, this Jaaag has been amazingly reliable.  I'm happy that it's "post-Challenge" life has only been boring fluid changes.  You can't say that about Modern BMW's.  You and I both experienced that first hand with the wagons we owned.

11/7/20 1:40 p.m.

Im pretty sure that OLD British wiring is more reliable than the BMW's were....

At least with old British stuff x you knew what to expect!

Im glad this is working out for you like it has. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
12/13/20 6:32 a.m.

Yesterday on the way home from Indy-kid #2's basketball game, the driver's door wouldn't open up from the inside. After multiple attempts, the interior door handle went "loose" and I had to roll down the window and use the exterior handle to let myself out.  So this happened:

Upon investigating the culprit was determined to be this door pull cable end:

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
12/13/20 6:43 a.m.

Because this thread is being brought to you by Barely Functional Racing, (and this is my daily driver) we had to find a way to get things, well......  functional, even if just"barely"

Further sleuthing around and I realized that gold colored rod inside the door is connected to the outer handle.

When the outer handle is lifted that rod goes down. Cool!

So I have a work around to still be able to use the door from the inside.  Temporarily button things up, and I'm back in business:

New cable is on order ($35) from Amazon and will be here Tuesday.  It's a Uro parts brand item.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/20 8:20 a.m.

At this point you might as well gut the door and strip the interior cause race car. 

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/13/20 9:11 a.m.

Necessity is the mother of invention.  The XJ8 is kind of a bucket list item for me.  Glad to see yours is running so well. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/18/20 5:39 p.m.

Hey I sent you a pm, xjr related. 

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/15/21 12:51 a.m.

following

1/15/21 5:19 a.m.

Indy: got the box.

Thank you! Made my world a much better place. I truly appreciate it. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
2/13/21 4:15 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Sorry, didn't get it because yahoo.  Resend it?

In reply to DirtyDog, Greg, and Dusterbd13:

Thanks.

Sooooooo.....  This happened today:

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
3/20/21 10:45 p.m.

Added another V8 Brit to the stable:

With the weather thawed out here in Indy, it was time to do some needed repairs.  Replacing the upper ball joints, AGAIN! Long time readers will remember that I replaced them before the 2019 Challenge and less than 15k miles ago.  Junk parts from Rock Auto.

This time I bought them from forum advertiser FCP Euro Parts, so life time replacement.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
4/3/21 12:45 p.m.

Oil change today.

And it looks like the upper control arm bushings are due for replacement. 

Still a bit of occasional vibration under braking that the new ball joints didn't cure.

What brand were the junk ball joints ?

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

Happy to see you back!!!

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

Happy to see you back!!!

Thanks man ! 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
4/3/21 5:36 p.m.

Yo Cuzin' E what up?!?!?!!!( sorry for the thread jack ) 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
4/4/21 10:01 a.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

Welcome back ! 

I searched my order history and here's the confirmation email RockAuto sent me: (URO parts brand Junk)

Side note to Eddie, steer clear of the "Off Topic Forum Section" to maintain your sanity.  I only click the "Stop hot-linking pics" thread over there, and I've greatly decreased my time here on the forum.  Much happier now. yes

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/4/21 10:29 a.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

Welcome back ! 

I searched my order history and here's the confirmation email RockAuto sent me: (URO parts brand Junk)

Side note to Eddie, steer clear of the "Off Topic Forum Section" to maintain your sanity.  I only click the "Stop hot-linking pics" thread over there, and I've greatly decreased my time here on the forum.  Much happier now. yes

Indeed. I'm just here for the cars and no static.

Side note about ball joints and suspension parts. I have a lifelong buddy who is high up with Driv Corp (they own Moog). We were talking recently about the negative press that Moog gets nowadays whereas they used to be the gold standard. He confirmed that most of the hard parts like ball joints and tie rod ends are still made in the same place here in the USA as they always have. However Moog has a budget line of parts like full replacement control arms that are simply offshore stuff like everyone else sells. It hurts his feeling to see his beloved company name get trounced due to quality issues but management has their own ideas and isn't interested in hearing what he has to say. That said I always buy the top of the line Moog parts and can confirm that they still proudly wear the USA stamp. URO parts I have no experience with whatsoever. Ball joints are usually a bit of a hassle to change so that does suck about having them fail so quickly.

1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HGW1zFBanxaLlQqRKrGLYNrf799GSTrszf0VAxQO7zAX5bSHT7E7PzcMb1NxaKyq