1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
5/28/21 6:35 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

I let the plastics guy know, hopefully that'll help! 

On the manifold I went after it with a combination of a red scotchbrite pad on a drill, wire wheel, brass wire wheel, sand paper in my palm sander and mother aluminum polish.  This is where I've ended up and I'm happy with it.  I'm sure I could get it more of a mirror finish but this seems like the right amount of patina for the car...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/14/21 3:20 p.m.

Small update, I've gotten the title to the car and insured it.  Can't really register it until I get it here as I have to run it through smog and have a VIN verification done.

The seller has done the hardest parts of the punch list, which is to install the 268 cams, new lifters and heavy duty valve springs, along with the oil cooler (which is huge!) and reinstall the secondary air pump.

I've gotta run this car through smog here and part of that on an older OBD1 car is a visual check.  I've been hearing from friends with older cars that the smog guys are looking up the car in their computer to see what all is supposed to be there and then making sure it's all installed.  Luckily I asked the seller about the emissions stuff and he had the air pump and all the lines so he could reinstall it.

Gotta say I find it ironic that in Massachusetts, generally one of the most stringent states in the nation, you don't have to smog test your car if it's 15 years old or older, yet in Colorado, we have to and can't get classic plates until it's 32 years old...

After this he's gotta reassemble the front end, replace a wheel bearing, check into the rear wing, one window regulator, then reassemble some of the interior trim.  It should be good to go shortly, so then I can schedule the truck to pick it up and my appointment at the DMV.

I've also got a call into GIAC to see if I could buy a tune from them for the cams and Schrick VGI.  They still do have the stuff available, I'm waiting to get an email back from them on costs...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/20/21 10:10 a.m.

I've been looking for a set of BBS RX2's (aka 771's) and missed on two sets locally.  Another set popped up and I grabbed them.

Spent more than what the other set was listed for and honestly these need to be refinished, but they're mine.  They have Hankook winter i pikes on them, two are wasted and the other two are 15 years old, so all of them are going in the bin.  I'll probably run them as is with a little patina, not worth blowing them apart and paying $600 to have them refinished.

Tire Rack has the 205-45-16 RE71R's on close out, I'll probably buy them.  I don't plan on auto-xing the car but I also won't put that many street miles on them, so the super sticky tires will last a long time and be a whole lot more fun compared to the Continental Contact Sport's that are my other option...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/20/21 5:48 p.m.

Also heard from the seller that my car should be done by the end of this coming week!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/29/21 8:48 a.m.

Seller is working away.  He got the cams in and was driving the car only to discover it'd stall everytime he'd put in the clutch.  Have I mentioned this guy has serious vehicular OCD?  So the car now has a bunch of new parts, including fuel injectors.  Which he said made the motor run much more smoothly but it was still stalling.  He's gotten it to stop by unplugging the emissions gear, he suspects a bad Evap purge valve.  Hopefully that fixs it.  He's got a few other small tasks to handle and then it should be done.

I would like to get the car out here while the weather is nice but the longer he has the car, the better sorted it's becoming with all sorts of new parts...

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
6/29/21 10:39 a.m.

So cool, I've always wanted a corrado. Seems like you've got a great thing going with the seller. Following along

TheWraith
TheWraith New Reader
7/19/21 12:38 p.m.

Love the VR Corrados, I've owned two with the first one running Megasquirt and MSD coil conversion wired through to the stock ECU with the factory harness to pass visual inspection in NC and passed smog with flying colors. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/19/21 1:58 p.m.

So I got the repaired headlight housing back from the plastics guy, all set there.  SpoonFed Tuning "euro" 90mm front lip has shown up.  Seller has the car running well and just replaced the water pump, that's solved the cooling issue.  Last thing is the water temp gauge on the cluster is reading way off.  Vag Com is showing the ECU reading water temps of 185F and the gauge is showing 230F, seller has put in multiple coolant temp sensors to no avail. 

My friend who had a corrado with me back in the day said his old car did the same thing and you just reclock the needle on the gauge in the cluster.  Seller will swap in a spare cluster and see if that helps and then reclock the needle on mine.  Then it's put the front end back together, recharge the AC and install a bunch of little interior trim things.

Should be able to get this out to me soon!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/20/21 4:16 p.m.

Seller is working away on the small punch list now.  Yesterday he bled the clutch, put the front of the car back together and redid the front right undercoating.  Today he's doing the front left undercoating and charging the A/C.  Then it's interior trim assembly and dealing with the funky reading water temp gauge.

In other news, I've contracted PlyCar to pick the car up.  I freaked out a little because I called a bunch of carriers and they were all booked up for Pebble Beach, telling me they couldn't get the car until September!  Luckily PlyCar should be able to grab it the end of July/early August and have it to me earlyish August.  I've booked my DMV appointment to get plates for it, so fingers crossed!  This way the seller still has 10-14 days to finish everything up.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/25/21 8:06 p.m.

Well, the car is done and ready to get picked up!  The last real thing that had to happen was getting the coolant temp gauge in the cluster to read accurately. 

The seller took the cluster apart, took the gauge apart, made a calibration table and then used the calibration slider on the gauge to set it properly.  It now reads within a few degrees F of what the ECU is reading, which is good.

He then put together the rest of the interior trim and it's basically good to go.  He mentioned it still stalls some coming to a stop, I think that's because it has 268 cams and is on the stock tune.  When I order the tune from Techtonics I'll talk to Colin about it and ask him to bump the idle speed up some to compensate.

Interestingly the seller is concerned that I won't like the car.  I think he's worried about my expectations and that I've never seen it in person.  He offered to refund all my money for the car if I don't like it, which is pretty awesome.  Doubt that'll happen tho, I have a hard time believing there's a better corrado in america than this one...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/30/21 2:48 p.m.

In talking with the seller turns out some of the interior stuff is mismatched.  He never got around to swapping the sun visors, sunroof motor cover or switch from tan to grey.  Time to hunt!  eBay yeilded a black sunroof motor cover and switch, Facebook found me a parts G60 Corrado sorta local to me.

I grabbed my tools and a friend and went to plunder whatever I could off the car.  I ended up with a set of grey sun visors, which I was stoked about!

Tips on how to clean them up please?

Then a bunch of other random parts, like 3/4 of a full set of tail lights, the rear wing motor and rear wing, rear harch carpet, C pillars and rear headliner trim, hood hinges, center console, door handles, door and hatch seals, etc.

I wanted to grab the exhaust tip but the car was sitting on its rotors and it also had some sorta of aftermarket exhaust so the tip wouldn't have worked anyways.  I spent a ton of time pulling the black carpet only to realize there was a large threadbare spot *after* I got it out of the car.  Doh!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/30/21 2:50 p.m.
docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/30/21 2:51 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

I watched that yesterday!

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/30/21 8:51 p.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to Slippery :

I watched that yesterday!

As did I. Love Cammisa.

TheWraith
TheWraith New Reader
7/30/21 9:22 p.m.

Suitcase delete, test pipe, and header away from any exotic sound.

TheWraith
TheWraith New Reader
7/30/21 9:53 p.m.
docwyte said:

I grabbed my tools and a friend and went to plunder whatever I could off the car.  I ended up with a set of grey sun visors, which I was stoked about!

Tips on how to clean them up please?

Simple green solution and a rough brush if they are vinyl should do wonders

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/31/21 9:48 a.m.

In reply to TheWraith :

Car has a techtonics exhaust on it, it sound amazing!

I'll pick up som Simple Green and see how it does, thanks!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/31/21 10:43 a.m.

Took the BBS RX2's to Discount Tire to have the trash tires removed and have them spin the wheels to make sure none are unsalvagably bent before I put new tires on them.  Turns out that 3 out of the 4 are in good shape, one is slightly bent.

It should be ok if I run it on the back of the car but I may just get it straightened before I put tires on the wheels...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/31/21 11:20 a.m.

Well, the Simple Green with a scrub brush did a great job on the visors!  Still a small discoloration in a spot or two, but these are totally acceptable now.

From this

To this

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
7/31/21 12:33 p.m.

Tough stuff cleaner at the parts store does great work on headliner type materials.  Looking good and excited to have her roadworthy.

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/31/21 2:24 p.m.

Surprisingly I had good luck with WD40 in removing grease stains from headliner and mouse-fur interior trim. One time had to replace the rear shock mount on my old WRX wagon - when I got the car back the whole rear compartment was covered with greasy finger prints and was able to clean them off using WD40. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/31/21 2:32 p.m.

So my SpoonFed hatch mats and floor mats showed up today.  Last thing I'm waiting for is the Euro headlight lens from VX Tuning.  They said they'd ship in April, it's now August.  I pinged them for another update but this is beginning to get ridiculous.

Is it bad I poked around looking at turbo kits?  ~250whp on 6-7psi...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/4/21 8:45 a.m.

In other news PlyCar has missed their pick up window.  They said they'd grab it no later than August 3rd.  I've reached out to them and my contact has reached out to two other people there for an update and I still haven't heard anything.  Luckily I haven't paid them, I told them I'd pay on delivery.  So if this turns into a mess I'll cancel with them and see who else I can get...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/4/21 2:21 p.m.

Heard from PlyCar, they say they're going to pick it up August 6,7.  Hopefully they get it out here in a week or so, that'll mean delivery Friday-Sunday, which is good because I'll be home.  Unless it's the 14th where I'm at an auto-x all day...

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/5/21 8:31 a.m.

So I've been offered a local 93 Corrado VR6 for $300.  Guy says it's probably a bit too far gone to resurrect but will be a good parts car, that it drove to it's current resting place but needs to be trailered away.

Clearly there's way more than $300 worth of parts on it but I have a conundrum

A:  I have absolutely no space to store it

B:  I really have no time to take it apart and go through a part out process

C:  A taken apart car takes up even more space than one that's still put together and see "A"

Ugh, I know I should buy this, in case I need parts...

1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KJ5D9veYbikaX3yrUYVhKPDL2trkfnr45qWzYZlzTdOgVuInN9TKlHXtl1QWzc7C