1 2 3 4
TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/9/15 1:33 p.m.

So this is the latest project. As some of you know, we bought this car shortly after my Nova was totaled.

A little bit of rust, but the previous owner stopped it in it's tracks.

4 doors and 4 on the floor. The shifter handle will need to be modified.

Properly powered.

The front mounts are stock 65-66 Lark mounts. (Studebakers in 65 and 66 came with chevy engines) We made some rear mounts inspired by 1957 mounts.

It may be a challenge car (we're in it for the right amount). We can call it our late entry into the aristocrat class. It probably won't be too competitive, but the point of this car is for it to be a cool street cruiser.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
11/9/15 1:43 p.m.

Cool project!

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
11/9/15 2:23 p.m.

Should make a great cruiser. Low rust for an ohio car anyway . What kind of rear axle is in it?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/9/15 2:32 p.m.
dropstep wrote: Should make a great cruiser. Low rust for an ohio car anyway . What kind of rear axle is in it?

The car is a PA car. Low rust regardless. It currently has the stock rear axle, which is a dana 27. We will be putting in a ford 9 inch or an 8.8.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
11/9/15 2:53 p.m.
TheV8Kid wrote:
dropstep wrote: Should make a great cruiser. Low rust for an ohio car anyway . What kind of rear axle is in it?
The car is a PA car. Low rust regardless. It currently has the stock rear axle, which is a dana 27. We will be putting in a ford 9 inch or an 8.8.

I figured it would be changed, just didnt know if it was already done. With the 4 speed i was guessing the stock unit wouldnt hold up to much spirited driving.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
11/9/15 3:01 p.m.

Nice I love Studebakers. Can't wait to see the end result.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
11/9/15 3:14 p.m.

What happened to your blue Stude two-door?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
11/9/15 3:24 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

Still have it. It was rear-ended twice. We fixed it the first time. The second time was bad enough that I got a little frustrated with it, and didn't feel like fixing it. It needs probably 2 months of work to get it roadworthy again. We have enough other projects going that I'm more excited about that it will be a while until I touch that car again. It's been sitting for a couple years. My current plans for it are fix it and take it to drag week. I would like to do something like a twin turbo LS engine using two of the headlights as turbo intakes similar to the new hellcats. What ever is done to it will include installing very bright brake lights.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
12/5/15 7:39 p.m.

We had to do a little custom work to get the clutch working. Steering, Clutch linkage, and gas pedal, all in one confined area.

Gas Up Clutch Up Steering Centered

Gas Down Clutch Down Steering Centered

Gas Up Clutch Up Steering Left

Gas Down Clutch Down Steering Left

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/5/15 9:42 p.m.

Wow. That is one busy space...

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
12/12/15 8:17 p.m.

This is the way that the gas tank came in the car.

It is dented on both sides.

Any ideas for fixing it without cutting it open?

Denny machined this part, as part of the clutch linkage.

Shortened, cleaned, and painted 9 inch rearend

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
12/12/15 8:22 p.m.

Hmm - try the motorcycle gas tank trick and fill with water and freeze?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/12/15 8:57 p.m.

There's a guy over on the HAMB board who is trying to give away a 1960 Lark 4 door: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/old-studebaker-soon-to-be-cut-up-and-brought-to-dump.1001050/ He's in Long Island, NY. It looks rough but there may be parts you could use.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/12/15 9:00 p.m.

Hydraulic pressure gradually applied should pop out the tank dents. Google "hydroforming" but do it waaaaaay more gently or you will just end up with a steel balloon.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/13/15 2:05 a.m.

3 psi air pressure and it all popped back out except a hard crease at the top back left. Tank is getting cleaned this week.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/13/15 7:53 p.m.
iadr wrote: Huh, older guy at work talked about how is family ran water hauling trucks...and occasionally the young guys they'd hire would forget to open the air vent and the pump could collapse the tank inward! He knew that the important part was to have the tank almost completely filled then use fiarely big air pressure 15+Psi. What ratio of Dana 27? I have 3.31 now could use 3.07. Volvo 544- my ring and pinion and clutch LSD are both Studebaker parts- exact same.

If you want the rearend parts let us know. However, I doubt they are that high of a ratio

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
12/19/15 6:57 p.m.
wheels777 wrote:
iadr wrote: Huh, older guy at work talked about how is family ran water hauling trucks...and occasionally the young guys they'd hire would forget to open the air vent and the pump could collapse the tank inward! He knew that the important part was to have the tank almost completely filled then use fiarely big air pressure 15+Psi. What ratio of Dana 27? I have 3.31 now could use 3.07. Volvo 544- my ring and pinion and clutch LSD are both Studebaker parts- exact same.
If you want the rearend parts let us know. However, I doubt they are that high of a ratio

I checked it. It is an open differential with ratio just over 4.00:1.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
12/19/15 7:00 p.m.

Gas tank all cleaned up and no longer dented.

Rear end center section cleaned and painted.

Removed bench seat.

Removed Headliner.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
12/20/15 9:19 p.m.

Attached the accessories to the front of the engine.

We are currently debating what color to paint the car. We are thinking

-Keep it Salmon. It would make the ultimate sleeper.

-Orange. similar to Flintstone Flyer

-Flat Black.

-Brown.

We are thinking of doing a lace top as well.

What do you guys think? Any ideas?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/20/15 10:38 p.m.

Make it as librarian as possible. Salmon please!

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/21/15 7:43 a.m.

I'll have the salmon mousse, please.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/22/15 1:45 p.m.

Don't paint the body, just do the lace top.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
12/22/15 1:54 p.m.

Grey with white trim and wheels.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
12/23/15 8:19 p.m.

Work continues. We are slowly getting the wiring done. We are hoping to have fire in the pipes tomorrow.

MSD Box wired and mounted.

We decided to go with electric fans.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
12/24/15 2:36 p.m.

It's alive!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hGZG1Kn410jnq5m8NsOT9KsqrXM4MvJ7yT3RKWFsVAEWSI6YTV2tTgQMWbTcBQeW