1 2 3 ... 21
TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 12:13 p.m.

For this year we're doing things a little different. You could say everything is backwards... Maybe even upside down. 

We bought this car just after the Challenge. We were originally looking at the car for yet another RWD LS swap. After looking things over we decided that didn't make sense so we decided to do something crazy...

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 12:20 p.m.

We found the front K member, transmission, and axles from a Cadillac Concour, from one friend and two LS4s from another. We got the sawsall out and started cutting.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 12:22 p.m.

Now some of you may be thinking, surely they plan to do what everyone always talks about, take the drivetrain from an Impala SS and make a poor man's Ferrari.

NOPE

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 12:26 p.m.

To get away from the Cadillac lug pattern (5x 115) which is hard to find wheels for, we redrilled the hubs.

Then we used a Third Gen Camaro strut and homemade coilovers adapters to get the car lower.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 12:32 p.m.

This will be our first time bringing BMW parts to the Challenge. It was the cheapest Camber plate I could find.

We decided to go big single turbo. A Borg Warner S475.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
3/4/20 12:35 p.m.

Watched your most recent youtube video on it this morning. Big fan of everything going on here for sure. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 12:36 p.m.

Around this time, LS4 king announced the FWD Challenge. How often does someone announce an event around a car that you are building, that is perfect for what you were intending to do?

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/4/20 12:37 p.m.

Crazy stuff to be sure. Watching closely, ever run a FWD drag car before?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 12:51 p.m.

Next it was just a matter of connecting dots.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 12:52 p.m.

We bought this intercooler which was made for a Mustang Turbo kit. Should work nicely.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 12:54 p.m.

Things were starting to take shape.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 12:57 p.m.

We didn't want a reverse Gasser, so we made/adapted some fender flares.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 1:02 p.m.

The rear axles will be a custom made straight axles, mad out of chromoly. It will use Mitsubishi Galant hub assemblies.

And Miata Rear Spring/shocks.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 1:05 p.m.

I 3d printed this really cool pie cut template

Have to get cold air to the turbo somehow...

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 1:06 p.m.

All the exhaust!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 1:07 p.m.
Daylan C said:

Watched your most recent youtube video on it this morning. Big fan of everything going on here for sure. 

Thanks for watching bud!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 1:07 p.m.
dherr said:

Crazy stuff to be sure. Watching closely, ever run a FWD drag car before?

We have not. I think we have the torque steer figured out. Don't know until we try.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/4/20 1:10 p.m.

This is bonkers and I love it.

I'm starting to think even more intensely about bringing a FWD V8 car to the challenge now...mine will be significantly less cool though...

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 1:10 p.m.

More to come. I missed a few things, but it will be easier to document live.

Edit: oh, I'm dumb. Check this out.

https://youtu.be/X5G4ZamUz0w

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/20 1:17 p.m.

What's your solution for the starter?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
3/4/20 1:26 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Oh, duh! How could I forget. We followed LS4 Kings guide, and mounted it to the oil pan.

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 Reader
3/4/20 1:33 p.m.

First can I just say WOW! as always your fabrication work is excellent and the implementation is awesome.

Since I am fairly new to the challenge, on our second car, would you be willing to share some of your budget numbers and where you have success in obtaining these great deals. I ask this is the spirit of looking to copy success, not in the vein of there is no way you are building this for $2000 ( I am sure you get that plenty). Clearly a lot of the savings comes with all of the fabrication as raw materials are much less that purchased ones. 

How much of  a build are you planning in advance and how much of this is built around deals you run into?

I think this challenge stuff can become a sickness as I am already thinking about what car to build after this one, and what skills to I need to obtain or add to my team to make that happen. 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/4/20 1:36 p.m.

You guys really can't stop being awesome, can you?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/4/20 1:43 p.m.

This thing is going to be insane! So, you are doing both the GRM Challenge and the Furches Performance...err... LS4 King event with it?

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
3/4/20 1:44 p.m.

Following for FWD drag racing shenanigans. 

1 2 3 ... 21

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZfA50ciann1B0b6wfkKUrJTRzKvzIwotXQHkF0w2vfPLnGlVFl69nZ2qfDX0AkOi