In reply to wheels777 :

You have no idea how aggravating it is to be .003 off the list

Get to work!

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
11/28/20 3:03 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to wheels777 :

Andrew, of all those sub 12 second passes, how many were made by a Nelson? And, I assume the fastest ten are all you guys?

Car number 10 was Stepp.  Car number 14 was DeFayette.  7 and 57 were from our camp.

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
11/28/20 3:09 a.m.
surfshibby07 said:

In reply to wheels777 :

If the budget drag car doesnt make it my fox will under exhibition. Getting nhra certified is a higher priority. And i know the notch would be the fastest car there lol

But still moving forward on the new challenge car. 

If you want to race non-Challenge legal cars, we have a few monsters at the house. We can throw time slip out there for a side conversation and keep the Challenge pure.  

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
4/1/21 3:30 p.m.

So the cat is out of the bag... After making the painful decision to not bring the Talon to the Challenge, we think we have learned enough from dumping a little money into it to once again make the Challenge effort. That's right, the Talon is going to the Challeng this year!

We've already started to make one of the changes. A smaller turbo. So With the 4T80e that is in the Talon, an aftermarket converter is very expensive. Obviously not challenge friendly. So what do you do when the converter you have is meant to putt Grandpa around town and do so efficiently? Hit it with as much boost as hard and early as you can!

Our very first attempt to ever do a Turbo LS was done with a Garrett GT4294 Turbo. It had no problem destroying two engines and we learned a lot about wastegates from it.

The Turbo that is currently on the Talon is an S475 with and 88mm turbine. The boost comes on slow, but hard when it does.  The issue is most of your ET is in the first 60 ft of your run, so that "coming on slow" part is very unfavorable. Therefore we plan to fit the same GT4294, mentioned earlier, which features a 75mm turbine. This will spool much faster, but will not have the same ultimate power potential. That being said, the Transmission probably won't take the "ultimate power potential" of a 75 mm turbine, let alone an 88mm.

In order to do this we need to make the back side look like the other turbo so that we don't have to re-engineer all of our piping.

First step was to make a jig to model use to get the new turbine lined up perfect.

You can see how much different the new turbine housing is here.

Next came the sawsall!

Next step was to smooth everything out and weld it back together. Came out mint!

More to come soon!

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/1/21 3:39 p.m.

That is super cool.  Makes me want to weld on a turbo housing.

What's the procedure for that?  Are you preheating?  What filler rod?  I'm assuming it's all cast iron, but maybe not.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
4/1/21 5:29 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

Cast steel. The procedure is just weld it.

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/1/21 5:59 p.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Easy!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
4/1/21 6:14 p.m.

So, are you bringing the Talon AND the Fiat?

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/1/21 6:21 p.m.

Having missed the challenge yet last year I am so excited to see your car attending this year!

Can't wait to see it and hear it in person

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
4/1/21 7:56 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

So, are you bringing the Talon AND the Fiat?

Yes

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
4/12/21 7:00 a.m.

25 cars.  We're on at 2:20 for the Talon and the Stude.  

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
4/12/21 9:24 a.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

He was certainly surprised when the Talon showed up. Great job!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
5/21/21 10:17 a.m.

Woot!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
5/21/21 10:19 a.m.

New turbo is on the car, and alternator is almost done.

1 ... 19 20 21

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ASeAR3dZ2ucSX8fsDrv5a1e2x51KebTM5aJMYrlU41ueHp4py34mZcvMiQpxSVm8