1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21
TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
4/15/20 7:41 p.m.

Mods on mods on mods.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
4/19/20 6:53 a.m.

Cleaned the subframe and trans. Yuuuck!!!  Completed the high end rattle can rebuild on the trans with some chassis paint. 

Inching forward. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/20 8:59 a.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

I would have never considered chassis paint for the trans. How do you get the porous aluminum clean enough for paint?

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
4/19/20 9:26 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to wheels777 :

I would have never considered chassis paint for the trans. How do you get the porous aluminum clean enough for paint?

Pressure wash, wire brush, sand, paint. The beauty of using chassis paint is it is good to 250°, it can be painted on the worst surfaces, it looks way better than the talent of the user and it's cheap 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/20 11:09 a.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

Wow, that sounds like the perfect paint for my (lack of) talent. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
4/20/20 6:29 a.m.

Also fabbed up another subframe mount to aid in torsional rigidity.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
4/20/20 4:00 p.m.

A little frame boxing action... some Smokey Gray. Even the name of the color sounds cool

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
4/21/20 8:08 p.m.

Barely an inch. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
4/23/20 8:17 a.m.

Engine has been taken apart, cleaned, ring gapped, and put back together. 

Welding on oil filled aluminum is the worst...

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/23/20 9:25 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

That starter packaging is slick!

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
4/23/20 2:47 p.m.
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to TheV8Kid :

That starter packaging is slick!

There is a pile of SBC starters around here. Take broken ones and make usable ones out of the parts. It made sense to use one here since the bolts were straight and not offset like an LS. 

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
4/24/20 1:57 p.m.

We'll never hold a candle to Mr. Guzowski....but it's better then it was this morning

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/24/20 2:25 p.m.

Seems like you have a ... flare for this type of work.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
4/24/20 2:54 p.m.
LifeIsStout said:

Seems like you have a ... flare for this type of work.

Not the first time we did flares on a challenge car… But the Fiat were put on 13 years ago… So we are a little rusty.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
4/24/20 3:18 p.m.

Added back the stock trunk mounts/latch assembly.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/20 3:41 p.m.
wheels777 said:

We'll never hold a candle to Mr. Guzowski....but it's better then it was this morning

I try really hard to be humble but my quarter panels are so sweet.  

really feeling the lime green.  Seems very RAD

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
4/25/20 8:03 a.m.

9:00am. Time first break. Finished mud work and sanding. Had the paint booth running early today. 

Inching forward...

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
4/25/20 8:10 a.m.

Calvin has the other paint booth running...

Like it or not...I am loving the Sassy Grass Green Go.....

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/25/20 8:47 a.m.

As always, great work. Rad.

You guys obviously have encyclopedic knowledge on roll bars and cages, and some of us on another thread were having some problems you might not mind answering.

Here you're building a cage to run low ETs, but my question is for a roll bar (<13.49 ET). If welded in, what size do the reinforcing plates need to be. I dug up 1/8" thick, but could only find 6X6" for bolted in bars. Apologies for the thread-jack. 

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
4/25/20 10:03 a.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

You guys obviously have encyclopedic knowledge on roll bars and cages, and some of us on another thread were having some problems you might not mind answering.

Here you're building a cage to run low ETs, but my question is for a roll bar (<13.49 ET). If welded in, what size do the reinforcing plates need to be. I dug up 1/8" thick, but could only find 6X6" for bolted in bars. Apologies for the thread-jack. 

Pads for welded cages and bars are 6"x6" also. 

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/25/20 12:38 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

Thank You. The shared knowledge is always appreciated.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/25/20 5:50 p.m.
wheels777 said:

Is it the total area, or 6x6?  Let's say space was tight but a 4x9 plate would fit but not a 6x6.  Would that be legal?

Awesome work as always!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Dork
4/25/20 8:28 p.m.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
4/25/20 8:34 p.m.
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:
wheels777 said:

Is it the total area, or 6x6?  Let's say space was tight but a 4x9 plate would fit but not a 6x6.  Would that be legal?

Awesome work as always!

Would have to see it to answer.  Remember you can run it up or down an adjacent area. 

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
4/25/20 8:44 p.m.

Huge day of progress. Will post pics tomorrow.  Finished the front fenders. Modified the steering mount. Mounted the steering column. Started patching the  floor. Painted a bunch of small parts.  installed the trans in the subframe. Hauled the engine up from the barn. Clearance the side of the block.  Nice solid day. 

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t4deNq1YrV471Jbq6QSNhDX15ZaBj2tdcRtEdoKsBamGvNtTqraakJLbF2v3Dqy8