1 2 3
Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/19/20 1:40 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

I didn't need to know those bodies are available... 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
6/19/20 2:11 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

Yep.

Now I see the TR Chassis under there.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/20 6:02 p.m.
RichardSIA said:

The hardest trick in building one of these is finding a sufficiently narrow suspension as they are originally based on the big TR's. Since I already have a TR chassis that is not an issue for me.

wink

Woody
6/19/20 6:03 p.m.

Do you use the original Triumph firewall?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/19/20 8:45 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

That would be my question as well.  If enough of the TR can be retained in order to keep the VIN, this gets interesting...

Personally, I'm thinking about how much fun a Tipo would be with an updated and much stiffer Ratco aftermarket TR frame - which can be purchased already set up for any number of suspension and drivetrain upgrades.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
6/19/20 9:23 p.m.

Note sure if the TR firewall can be retained, Bill would know.

I did not get a firewall with my chassis.

In any case, adding the tube members to support the body, and a roll-bar, stiffens the chassis very well.

Woody
6/20/20 8:55 a.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

Will you be using hanging pedals or floor mounted ones?

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
6/20/20 10:19 a.m.

Plan is for hanging.

Concentrating on the engine at the moment as it is the major expense.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
7/3/20 12:05 a.m.

More $ spent, cam and bee-hive valve springs came to about $500.00. No such thing as a cheap rebuild anymore.

Still trying to reassemble Mom's XJ6 ASAP to make more shop space so buying parts seems to be all I can do right now. The light flywheel and this cam have lead times so I should have the space to work in by the time they arrive.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
7/9/20 3:07 p.m.

TA Performance billed my card, looks like the light steel flywheel is on the way.

Beehive valve springs from Comp Cams are to arrive today.

At 36 Lb. I'm guessing the new cam is in there too.

I've removed some ugly casting flash and have the heads soaking to remove carbon from the chambers and ports.

Hope to order some tools to upgrade the oiling today.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
7/11/20 11:36 p.m.

OK, the clutch cover and disc I got on sale at Summit racing a while back do fit the new billet steel flywheel just fine, flywheel alone weighs in at 33 Lb. Not too bad as I think the original Jeep piece was around 70 Lb.? 

Got the Holly valve covers I bought from another forum member cleaned and outside bead blasted. I will be painting them since they were not going to polish reasonably easily.

Head casting are clean and bead blasted, need to get a set of porting tools. No plan to heavily port them, just clean up. Looks like slightly oversize stainless valves are the next purchase.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
7/18/20 10:57 p.m.

Since this build will be completed before the El Camino I think I will use the vintage steel three-piece scatter-shield bell-housing I already have for it. Some folk now claim they are collectors items, but I think that's a silly claim only made to rake in more feeBay suckers. If it's not being used it's just junk taking up space, run it or get it to someone who will!

In theory my sale will pay for a new unit for the El Camino, at $700.00 they are not cheap. The original aluminum Buick bell-housing I have would probably be fine as this will only be an around 200 HP engine. But with the clutch right at the drivers calves........

Also took note of the extreme upward price curve of vintage "Muscle Car" speed equipment. Even the sellers of original T10's are now (trying for) silly money. Brand new trans are about $2K so trying to get $1,200.00 plus for old stuff that probably needs a rebuild and is not as strong makes no sense to me. Glad I got this close ratio T10 when I did.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
8/14/20 12:31 a.m.

Decided to have the T10 rebuilt just to be sure, I hate doing anything twice.

I will have about $1K into it, so still cheaper than a new unit and being iron case it adheres to the vintage build theme.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
8/14/20 6:01 a.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

This thread needs more pictures.cheeky

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
9/29/20 10:38 a.m.

OK, back from too much traveling.

Jag is very nearly done so I will have space in the shop soon.

I've taken pics of the TR frame as I got it, will document progress from here on out.

First step, stripping the frame and rebuilding the suspension.  I hope to re-use a bit of the TR floor.

I had hoped to find the old commission number on the chassis somewhere but no luck with that despite looking very carefully. Maybe it will become visible after blasting.

R&P Steering TR4 chassis.

Not certain these vintage wide wheels will work but they came with the project.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
9/30/20 9:23 p.m.

This build just got a deadline!

Late March of 2021.

Going to need the additional funds to complete my new workshop. It's insane how expensive a simple building becomes when Gov. Org. puts their hands into your pocket. angry

All I want for my B-day is a 2400' shop behind the house, that's early May.

Hope is to also have a Locost 7 done at about the same time. Looks like I'm going into building  toys full time so should be possible so long as my arthritic shoulder does not kill me too badly.

brad131a4 (Forum Supporter)
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/2/20 12:27 a.m.

Didn't see this earlier or would have commented on the cams. Delta cams in Tacoma WA have a crazy array of cam blanks and can grind you what ever type you want. Plus they are pretty reasonably priced compared to new. 

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
10/2/20 7:47 a.m.
RichardSIA said:

The Buick 225 engine rebuild is being frustrating.

Got out the measuring tools and found that this engine is actually .040" oversize.

My other Buick V6 block is .030" over.

Forged 10.25-1 Buick 350 V8 pistons used to be readily available and cheap but now seem to be impossible.

My "Best" option for availability and cost appears to be putting the .040" pistons into the .030" over block.

That would also retain the prior balance job. yes

Possible issue is that .010" may not clean up perfectly. no

Another option is to use 231/3.8 standard pistons which would be .050" over from the standard 225 bore.

Biggest downfall of the 231/3.8 pistons is that it seems they are virtually all deep-dish for Turbo, and all forged are deep dish. angry

There are some Hypereutectic available which are supposed to be a step-up from cast, but dome volume is a $#!&^ secret!

Clue for piston manufacturers, not all Buick V6's are Turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoping to be able to dig out more  details on new pistons in the morning.

I know the 231/3.8 pistons would be fine in the .030" over block.

Oh, and yea, JE custom forged are "Only" $1,050.00 for the set!

Check with Summit racing. They have a great piston selection. The Kieth Black pistons are very good pistons for your kind of racing. They are not Forged. They aren't as heavy as forged pistons are nor do you need to gently warm them up until they reach operating temps for fear of scuffing them. Plus they cost less than a couple Hundred a set not $1000+ 
They aren't as weak as typical cast pistons either.

They've been used extensively on racing V12 Jaguars. And last very well.  

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
12/30/20 2:54 a.m.

Update time.

The good, in about a week I will have all the funding needed to complete this build*. Trying to have it done by May.

I have nearly all of the major components on hand so hope/intend that I will finish it for no more than an additional $5K. I did say Hope! Doing all possible work myself. My biggest expected expense is going to be hiring some part time help. Getting older is a real pain, and the pain is real, particularly in my right shoulder. So some of the lifting, sanding, and repetitive task have to be done by an apprentice. No more auto-shop in the skools, so I will do what I can to pass on what little I know.

The bad, Having to set a deadline, making the build into "Work", not being able to do it "My way" as I have to be considerate of what is most likely to make it sell quickly. Still a carefully vintage build, I really do not know when it was begun but it's been around a long time. The frame, wheels, and tires it came with support it being one of the early bodies so it will be nice to finally get it done. Not the first decades long kit build. laugh

First step is going to be getting a small shop "Tent" set up behind the house. Only 1440' so it will be a bit tight but still larger than the current rented 1200'. I will probably also get a 40' shipping container to hold a lot of the clutter that will not be used right away. Hope is to sell this Dio for enough to fund the second "Tent" and finally have plenty of work and storage space.

The second Dio Tipo is MINE, not to be sold, dry-sump 2.0 Alfa on Webers. Yes, less "Power" but much more the balanced instrument I have wanted for so long.

New year has to be better than this one unless the sun goes Supernova or a new ice-age descends on us!

I will post the shop build in another thread and Dio Tipo updates here. It will be great to finally be making actual progress beyond just buying parts.

*Yup, I've been hearing that my closing date is only about another week away for a couple of months now. angry

jmc14
jmc14 HalfDork
12/30/20 7:10 a.m.

Richard you have even more projects than me! smiley  I only have a couple going and I feel overwhelmed.  Feeling pressure to get things done while my health holds out. Everyday seems more difficult to do physical things. 

Good luck with your builds and closing.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
12/30/20 11:25 a.m.

I cannot stand modern television or movies and barely tolerate a few radio stations. Sitting around doing nothing bores me to tears, I have never just sat on a beach in my life.

Eyes are going bad, back has been an issue for decades, yep, running out of time.

DO NOT want to be ones of those "Bob had a lot of cool cars, too bad he never got to finish them, I'm helping his estate to sell them" guys!

SS kicked in a couple of months ago. So now making this my full time occupation/retirement activity. Some cars to build for myself, some to finish and sell, some will sell only after I'm too feeble to get in and out of them anymore.

I expect that I should be able to get into the larger cars like the El Camino until they take my license, then catch me still driving without it. cheeky

I only have about twelve cars*, depending on how you count them. I have a few that have never been mentioned here.

I made a solemn Vow/New Year resolution, to not buy anymore and am pretty intent on keeping to that. But my "Out" is that I may upgrade/trade if the opportunity comes up.

*A couple are actually trucks. Unhappy that it seems I only have only had trucks or boring modern junk to drive for the past few years. Finally fixing that.

Yah, I know, everyone tells me, "Just sell all that junk, then you can afford to live on just your SS". NO, vegetating on the couch is not living!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/20 11:55 a.m.

If you have to asterisk or say "depending how you count them" when talking about the number of cars you have, you are doing it right! Glad to see you're moving forward on several fronts.

jmc14
jmc14 HalfDork
12/30/20 1:24 p.m.
RichardSIA said:

I cannot stand modern television or movies and barely tolerate a few radio stations. Sitting around doing nothing bores me to tears, I have never just sat on a beach in my life.

Eyes are going bad, back has been an issue for decades, yep, running out of time.

DO NOT want to be ones of those "Bob had a lot of cool cars, too bad he never got to finish them, I'm helping his estate to sell them" guys!

SS kicked in a couple of months ago. So now making this my full time occupation/retirement activity. Some cars to build for myself, some to finish and sell, some will sell only after I'm too feeble to get in and out of them anymore.

I expect that I should be able to get into the larger cars like the El Camino until they take my license, then catch me still driving without it. cheeky

I only have about twelve cars*, depending on how you count them. I have a few that have never been mentioned here.

I made a solemn Vow/New Year resolution, to not buy anymore and am pretty intent on keeping to that. But my "Out" is that I may upgrade/trade if the opportunity comes up.

*A couple are actually trucks. Unhappy that it seems I only have only had trucks or boring modern junk to drive for the past few years. Finally fixing that.

Yah, I know, everyone tells me, "Just sell all that junk, then you can afford to live on just your SS". NO, vegetating on the couch is not living!

I'm right there with you Richard. Building my cars is my retirement plan as well.  I'm addicted.

Stay healthy and have fun.  

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/30/20 3:37 p.m.
RichardSIA said:

I 100% agree and I am planning my retirement accordingly. I am only at 7 cars though.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
12/30/20 8:49 p.m.

Only twelve cars? Hmm, lets count them!

'74 Alfa Romeo Spider, 2.0 on Dellorto's, runs/ran, needs mostly paint and interior, plus I do have an aftermarket hard top for it. Never going to be valuable enough to sell at a profit so just drive it out. @

'72 Triumph TR6 and parts car. Frame up restoration that will take a while to do. Should be worth around $30K if I do it right. I do plan to do it right but not over-done. I know better than to drive a car that is to be sold but will drive it a little anyway. Need to be sure it is "Sorted" when sold. $

Dio Tipo Buick V6 and T10 on TR4 frame. This is going to be a kick-@$$ ride when done and I will regret selling it but it should provide funding to carry through the next year. $

Dio Tipo Alfa 2000 on Webers, dry-sump, lightened gears, all wheel disc brakes. Do not care what the value is as long as I'm able to drive. It's one of my "Bucket List" builds from WAY back. @

'68 El Camino. It's just another El Camino, like a Ferrari Dino is just another FIAT. 327 with 4x44mm IDF's, solid lifter cam, Brownfield heads, Muncie M20, GV overdrive, tricked Jag IRS with 3.92 gears, 'Glass tilt front clip, etc. Like I said, just another old El Camino. @

Lotus Europa. Made in 1970, early type 65 with Gordini TS cross-flow "Hemi" at around 120 HP. Twin Weber DCOE 40's, hand fabricated headers, rear disc brake conversion kit, "Shaved" emblems. I keep turning down offers on it, I've wanted one since they were new and I was 17! @

Locost 7 BOP/R V8 and 5-speed. Not the most efficient use of my time but while still young and impressionable I got to drive a real 7. This came up at a good deal so I have to build it. Hope to get fairly decent price for it. Old school enough to be easy to work on, not a death cart for power but plenty more than the 1098cc Seven I found amazing so long ago. $

Locost 7 Spitfire. Yes, really, a 7 from mere Spitfire bits. I don't have any Spridget's laying around anymore so this will be my keeper. Hope to make it as close to a genuine 7 as reasonable. It does not take LS power levels to enjoy a 7 type car. @

Trick-Six. TRIumph-buiCK with a wild 231 V6, twin IDA-3 40mm Webers, WC Camaro V8 T5, Merkur based IRS. Probably my most ambitious and difficult build but I've already done most of the chassis and engine/trans mount work. Also have the engine, trans, rear diff, body, and more. @

"Chuck" Tatum "Crusader". Originally a VW kit car from the 70's but only a couple were made. I got the molds and rights years ago. Had one nearly finished but wound up selling it. This one will be much more than any that Chuck ever built. Suzuki G13B twin-cam, Porsche 901 (914) transaxle, semi or full monocoque chassis. Essentially a two place Super Vee without the VW engine. Should be a fairly wicked ride. @

Triumph Spitfire 1500. Yah, I know, almost boring. Got to have at least one more or less normal car. Except for the Weber, headers, and Spitfire camo paint.  @ $

Unknown make Formula Vee. Really just a chassis and body with a lot of potential. Plan is a silly single seat street car. Geo 1.0 and VW IRS, beam axle front, lights, and probably a rear wing more for visibility in traffic than aero. $

Street "Sprint Car" scratch build. Geo engine, Sammy trans, scratch chassis, just for the heck of it. $

Land Rover 101 FC. This one is currently running and driving, very low original miles. I am the "Conservator" of it. "Given" to me but I am not allowed to sell it, if I die first my buddy gets it back. Big 4x4, cool as can be but a bit of work to actually drive and still needs some tinkering due to sitting for a long time. @

'81 Chevy C30 1-Ton flat-bed "Support vehicle". Current hurry up and get it DONE project. Just rebuilt the engine, converting to an NV-4500 for overdrive. Just old enough to not have ANY computers but does have independent front suspension and disc front brakes. I've spent far more than it is worth but I just despise the newer plastic trucks and their ridiculous levels of complexity. @

84 Jaguar XJ6. Current running and driving but has a few mostly minor issues. May be up for sale soon, writing this list reminds of exactly how many cars/toys I really have. $

XXX'68 Triumph GT6 XXX Recently SOLD at a pretty much give-away price. Was complete but a major restoration project. Originally bought as spares for the Trick-Six but then I bought a storage unit full of body parts.

I have tried to thin down, really. But it seems that projects are only worth a fraction of their parts value and no one wants to pay shipping for anything that does not fit into a flat-rate USPS box. Have to admit that some of these are pretty recent purchases. Yea, I'm addicted, but at least I'm not mugging people for my next fix like other types of addicts. I think this is everything, well, except for the dune buggy/dirt car build, but that's not going to be street legal at all.

Lots of learning ahead of me for all of this. Studies indicate that continued learning is the best defense against the horror of Alzheimers!

Actually writing this out helps to realize how deep I am into them all, and how few are planned to be sold any time soon.

There is an old saying that "Everything has a price", hmm, maybe, eventually. Good thing I never got into boats or aircraft!

@, Goes with my estate, actually starting to think about that. sad

$, Built to sell, or to sell after driving a little while, if it goes well I may build more of them.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IRPiQtM6omfUmcaDfR3XoordGeNA5AUyTTfwjf07MqGfJe1xcWqIpSoiAVlNbrcR