1 2 3
akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
10/30/20 9:26 a.m.

My mom came home with a Pontiac Vibe once, said it as a six speed!  I inquired as to the redline on the tach, sure enough it has a 2ZZ in it.  After putting a clutch in it I showed her what it could do.  Point is don't forget to look at Vibes for 2ZZs also.

Love the new Toy!

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/30/20 10:10 a.m.

The powerband in the 2ZZ is really high. My Vibe felt really pedestrian until you wound it over 6000 rpm- THEN it was awesome!

With the 6 speed it wasn't really a big deal. I just shifted late- all the time. The 2ZZ absolutely loved to rev. 

Congratulations!

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/4/20 9:15 p.m.

Cleaned the MR2 and removed the speaker behind the drivers seat.  I fit so much better now.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
11/4/20 9:16 p.m.

Waiting to see how many days it stays in the fleet till its sold cheeky

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
11/4/20 9:19 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Good point!  I am sure once I autocross it I will be hooked.

Caprigrip
Caprigrip New Reader
11/4/20 11:10 p.m.

Nice.   Thanks fof sharing.  Made me look at MR2s tonight ;)

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
11/5/20 3:12 a.m.

These cars can be autocross monsters.  I think you'll like it better than the M Coupe, at least for that purpose.  I didn't particularly enjoy autocrossing the M Coupe, but loved driving it on the street.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
11/5/20 8:33 a.m.

I know your neighbor has the fleet of all silver cars.  Seems to be rubbing off.  Ha.

That's a classy little rear spoiler!   I also like the side scoops and the mufflers from plate area.  Some subtle mods that seem to hint at capability rather than rice.  

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/5/20 9:42 a.m.

Spyder looks fantastic!  Any idea if it's got a limited slip?  The open diff is definitely a weak point on my 1zz kart.  I've been watching the marketplace for an appropriately priced 2zz donor. Seems a limited slip is quite rare.  

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
11/5/20 10:34 a.m.

It has an open diff.   A LSD may be a future mod but for now all I am doing is buying a set of 200TW tires and installing the Hard dog roll bar when it comes in.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
11/5/20 10:37 a.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

I know your neighbor has the fleet of all silver cars.  Seems to be rubbing off.  Ha.

That's a classy little rear spoiler!   I also like the side scoops and the mufflers from plate area.  Some subtle mods that seem to hint at capability rather than rice.  

Thanks John.  I like the spoiler as well.

Yeah my police camry is silver as well, so that makes for 4 silver cars in my driveway.  At least the Titan is black.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
11/8/20 5:40 p.m.

A giant box arrived today.  

I wonder what it could be?

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/14/20 10:35 a.m.

I have a friend who 2zz swapped a spyder. He is really pushing me to turbo the 1zz instead of doing a 2zz swap. He says he was pretty disappointed with his and that it was very anemic and low on torque below the cam shift. Can you give any thoughts/opinions on his comments?  My car pretty much just autox and $2k challenge

edit: I'd likely have to keep the Spyder 5 speed gearbox to hope to stay within budget as well. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
11/14/20 3:55 p.m.

I have been very impressed with the 2zz swap it truly is how the car should have come from the factory.  I think having a 6 speed makes a significant difference.

It didn't really feel bad off cam.  My buddy drove it who has a type r integra and he said it felt similar power wise.

I have an autocross tomorrow, so I am looking forward to seeing how it will do.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/14/20 5:33 p.m.

My 2zz Vibe, formally Pauls, feels fine off cam. I'm pretty sure its torque is about the same as a 1ZZ until the cam switch and then the 2zz climbs while the 1zz falls off. The closer gearing probably helps as well. 

As for whether you should turbo or 2zz swap-here is a  low powered turbo 1zz compared to a stock 1zz/2zz comparison.

Edit-the 2zz cam switch is annoying. It is such a huge power jump that it feels like it could happen sooner giving a smoother transition and a few hundred more rpm where you arent sitting around waiting for the excitement. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
11/14/20 6:46 p.m.

Mine has a power FC and the cam switch over has been adjusted down a little I believe.  

A turbo would obviously make more power but a high revving naturally aspirated engine is something to be cherished and is increasingly rare these days.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/14/20 9:34 p.m.
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:

Mine has a power FC and the cam switch over has been adjusted down a little I believe.  

A turbo would obviously make more power but a high revving naturally aspirated engine is something to be cherished and is increasingly rare these days.

The Vibe is a bit heavier than your car and a large chunk of my driving so far was at the challenge. With my extra 700lbs I spent a lot of time in the autocross in second gear waiting to cross 6k to get that burst of power. It was just enough extra power to go from leisurely to sprightly acceleration so being off cam while I was in hyper "every tenth counts" mode was noticeable. 

Coming with the Apexi makes your car even more of a deal. I bet it is a blast to drive. I love your car and I love the motor. I hope to save the dead motor from the Vibe and throw it in one of my AWIIs. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
11/15/20 7:28 a.m.

So I will not be autocrossing today.  On the way to the track the alternator went out.angry

I got home no problem and checked the alternator fuse which was fine.  Used my multimeter and it is definitely not charging.

Oh well there is always next year...

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/15/20 7:51 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

:(

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
11/23/20 6:50 p.m.

Started the roll bar install today.

As I was pulling the interior out I verified that the car does have a power FC.

After the interior was removed the gas tank has to come out.

Got the bar installed and 6 of the bolts in.  

Should have it finished up tomorrow.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
11/29/20 5:42 p.m.

Well I finally finished it today.  Came out good but my trimming of the interior panels left a little to be desired.

I sprung for the leather cover and i am glad i did. It is a nice touch.

I started installing the Porterfield R4S pads but ran out of daylight.  I got the fronts done. I will finish up the rears and bleed the system with the motul 600 fluid I bought for it tomorrow after work.

I ordered a set of four 225 45r15 RS4 tires Saturday from the tirerack.com.   I will get them installed Wednesday and have the car aligned.  Took a half day Friday so I can drive up to Savannah to get the car teched  at roebling road before this weeks DE.

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
11/29/20 8:12 p.m.

Bummed you missed the autox - was looking forward to the report.  But it looks great with the bar and its cover

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
11/29/20 8:33 p.m.
jfryjfry (FS) said:

Bummed you missed the autox - was looking forward to the report.  But it looks great with the bar and its cover

I too was bummed about the autocross. 

I am looking forward to this weekends track day to see how the car handles at higher speed.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/29/20 8:53 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

I think that car will shine.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/30/20 8:00 a.m.

There's another autocross at Amelia Island this week, Saturday, December 5.

Hope to see you there. I'm glad that this MRS isn't stock, they're pretty tough to beat in E Street. It's one less I have to deal with. wink

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BtKYqNmioTrFZXZYUPykCrorTtqMNgvDszRAyz6kUmkbEJgYThrKLFQZReQGXw2I