1 2
trumant
trumant GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/8/22 7:32 a.m.

Now that you've had it hustling round cones did that experience change any of your plans for upgrades/mods?

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/8/22 9:04 a.m.

I think better pads and brake fluid are the next things I will address.  After I get more accustomed to the car I might get a different front sway bar, but not sure on that at the moment.

It really is an awesome car straight out of the box...

HopmanJones
HopmanJones New Reader
6/27/22 8:23 p.m.

I got to sit in a GR86 for the first time today, it was the base model. I went ahead and put a deposit down for a premium trim level because I'm looking for a DD and wanted some of the few creature comforts and safety features that come with the trim level. However, I have some concerns about the seats. I felt like there was almost negative lumbar support. I have read other reviews that say even though the seats are the same between the trim levels, the version with the alcantara has more support than the base seats. I'm curious if you have sat in both seats and could compare? With the BRZ, I guess the premium is the base model and the limited is the "premium" in GR86-speak.

Since this was already sold, I couldn't really get a good feel for it sitting in it the parking lot for a couple minutes. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
7/2/22 5:20 p.m.

In reply to HopmanJones :

I really haven't had a chance to sit in a base model yet.  Mine is only the 4th one I have actually seen in person and I have only sat in one other one which was also a limited before I bought mine.

In other news I bought a K&N drop in filter.  I have not had a chance to drive the car since installing it last night.

I also bought a black plate to cover up the moulded front license plate spot on the bumper.  I think it looks much better than the weird mounded spot with 2 holes.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
7/10/22 6:25 p.m.

Took the car to its second autocross this weekend.  I am slowly getting more used to it.  It is a wonderful autocross platform right out of the box.

Ended up 3rd in pax out of 72 cars.  9th overall raw time.  Oddly enough I feel like I left a bunch of time on the table. I am pretty confident that as I continue to work with the car I will only get faster. 

Keen eyed observers may notice I switched the color of my number panels.  The non matching silver with black numbers was bugging me.

It was nice talking to a few fellow GRM'ers.  Tucker and his son did really well in their BMW and took home the novice 1st place trophy.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/10/22 8:29 p.m.

It was an awesome day, other than the temperature doing it's best to mimic the surface of the sun! And thank you for giving Sam's buddy a ride along. He was mightily impressed! :-)

The 128i was a blast to autocross and did great!

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
7/10/22 9:02 p.m.
dyintorace said:

It was an awesome day, other than the temperature doing it's best to mimic the surface of the sun! And thank you for giving Sam's buddy a ride along. He was mightily impressed! :-)

The 128i was a blast to autocross and did great!

Sam's buddy was funny, he was telling me about only ever riding in a jeep and a suburban before the run.  Afterwards he was like "holy E36 M3..."  hahaha 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/10/22 9:28 p.m.

He said riding with you was more violent than the ride he took in the Exocet!

9th overall in a stock car is crazy. Proof that the BRZ is incredibly capable!

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
9/27/22 11:11 a.m.

Looks like we have a little RTV in the pick up tube.  Waiting to see if Subaru is going to cover the cost of the removal and reinstall.  Car has 2,400 miles.  Oil was changed at 1,000 by dealer.

I am glad I had them check...

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/27/22 11:39 a.m.

Wow. Glad you checked it. 

BLRB
BLRB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/27/22 12:33 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

Is this at Subaru of Jacksonville?  

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
9/27/22 1:00 p.m.

It is.

BLRB
BLRB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/27/22 1:03 p.m.

Great, thanks.  I was debating doing this myself, but may drop it off there if Subaru covers it.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
9/27/22 4:06 p.m.

Still no word.  I will let you know what transpires.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
10/15/22 1:41 p.m.

Picked the BRZ up Thursday.  Subaru resealed the timing cover and oil pan under warranty.

Then a deal fell in my lap for 4 17x9 Apex wheels so I of course pulled the trigger because I am sucker for a deal.

As an added bonus they also should fit my RX7

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
10/21/22 1:48 p.m.

In case you were wondering 4 race tires will fit in the back of a BRZ.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/21/22 4:20 p.m.

What was the name of your dealer? I plan to take mine when it hits 1k miles to have them change the oil and check for RTV as well. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
10/21/22 10:57 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

It was subaru of Jacksonville.  Keep in mind I paid to have the pan removed.  1.7 hours.  They covered everything else under warranty.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
10/23/22 12:16 a.m.

Ended up 1st in GTN after the autocross.  The pro managed a 48.1 in the autocross.  My best in the car was a 49.8.

Struggled in the drags.  My best run was a 14.9 at 96.  

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/23/22 1:24 p.m.

In the 14's is no slouch.

Also, this car looks at home at a track with stickers on it!

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/23/22 1:48 p.m.

Breaking into the 14s with rock hard sidewall tires is pretty impressive. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
10/23/22 6:27 p.m.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/23/22 6:55 p.m.
hobiercr said:

In the 14's is no slouch.

Also, this car looks at home at a track with stickers on it!

After watching the runs it is impressive that you managed to get into the 14's. It looked like you were fighting tire spin for the first 1/3rd of every run.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
10/23/22 9:06 p.m.

It was awful trying to get traction.  Apparently RT660's are not the hot ticket for drag racing. 

I launched on the return road after one of my runs and the car hooked.  On the track it was terrible.  I can't figure this drag racing thing out...

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
10/24/22 8:58 p.m.

Took the BRZ to the FIRM today. Had a great time!  Car felt great on track.

Did several sessions and I got faster each time.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
694FOOedO7cEPBuaBM5TUjQCBFfbG0PbZRFVjr7o2S5r3nDoFODN8vaQkdWwhWcZ