1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 52
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/31/22 11:15 a.m.

Used my nice day yesterday to work on a customer car and finish the rear brakes on jeep. Ended up needing new adjuster paws and different cables also and backing plate plugs. 

Since I was working on a few things at once. Painted the drums also. 

Photo of Mark the used tire guy for fun. More on him later. 

New year new project. 

2010 Ford Ranger Xl, 165k on the clock. 

Pros: 

-$900 

-Rust free frame and body minus bumpers and tailgate

Cons: 

-Smells like a dive bar 

-Poors attempted to cut off cat and failed 

-Trans needs rebuilt due to running low on fluid 

-A rear window repair that cost more than fixing it right

In general it needs some cleaning up and fixing but should be a super solid little spare vehicle for the cheap. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
1/2/23 8:28 p.m.

I remember Ricart was closing those out in 2012 for like $11k new. I think they were all white too.

In reply to GCrites80s :

Someone else told me the same thing the day I bought it. 

Fun fact this truck is from Ricart also.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
1/3/23 10:20 a.m.

I was going to get one but the ones they had on closeout were a little too work truck-y for me to daily.

In reply to GCrites80s :

It's definitely a stripper truck. But should work perfectly for it's future life with us. Considering I commute 1.8 miles round trip it could be a great daily. 

Jeep was useful last night when I was running errands. 

The rangers smell in picture form.  

Neighbor asked me to roll the windows back up because they can smell it when the wind blows. 

Something blue, something new. 

Quite the eclectic taste in your land of "junk".  Which one is the keeper?  Or both?

In reply to Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) :

Blue ranger has come, fixed and sold really. The white civic SI is a customer car. 

Trans is out, found some notes written on inside of Bell housing, 11k on this jasper unit. Rear seal was pushed out, I think that was the start of the problems for this trans along with no dipstick oring.  

Gotcha.  Hope the weather holds out for you.  Working outside certainly has its limitations.

In reply to Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) :

Sunny and mid 30s, gonna rebuild and bring the truck inside to install. Found some high level hackery from the last person. 

How the ranger has been setting for a few days since wrong glass showed up. 

Some new plugs as per any new car purchase. 

Glad I ordered a valve cover gasket 

They don't look to bad all things considered. PO claimed it "ran a little rough at times" 

orthoxstice
orthoxstice Reader
1/11/23 10:42 p.m.

I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a save-able Ranger here in western PA and they just don't exist. Well they do but everyone seems to think they're worth $3500 minimum. That was a good find, even with trans and odor problems!

In reply to orthoxstice :

Same, this deal kinda fell in my lap. 

Valve cover gasket time plus some other goodies. 

Pulled the intake intake manifold and valve cover and was surprised with considering how beat the truck is how nice it looked. 

The valve cover seal was just rock hard. It was quite difficult to remove. 

Local place sells new part take off and had a brand new ranger tailgate. 

Out with the old. 

In with the new. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
1/14/23 10:09 a.m.

Wow that new tailgate looks great, no cancer and probably a quick r/r. Nice

In reply to jfryjfry :

Tailgate made it look substantially less like garbage. 

New tail light gasket and strobing 3rd brake light bulb like always. 

Old glass out, cleaned and prepped. 

New used glass in. Need to do a bunch more cleaning once it warms up or is driving. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
1/15/23 1:01 p.m.

I'm surprised the tailgate got that bad that quickly -- like it spent a lot of time north of US 30 or was a used replacement for a missing or damaged one.

In reply to GCrites80s :

It definitely was a replacement for a damaged one. It was poorly painted it was red before white. 

You could say this got serious. 

Found this on the input shaft speed sensor soon as 1st drum came out. Sensor bench tested bad. More on this later. 

So per the book when the input shaft speed sensor it will try to do all kinds of goofy stuff shift logic wise. I think that was the start of my issues. Also found a whole set of clutch packs backwards. 

hot and smooth 

More hot and smooth. 

Some heat in higher gears. 

1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 52

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
agdAIBRHMlUw1sIIt0dbo7IHyTmJ24kNNtObnFgNbVtJpWDOcxnhVMIQC0tk4BuA